Get Me Out Of Teaching

How can I get out of teaching in Thailand into a real position which is going to offer me a career choice.

Im 25 with an Environmental Protection Degree, I have an EARA Environmental Auditors Certificate and have worked for P&G in their R&D section.

But I'm stuck teaching Science to kids that don't want to learn. I have a wife here and a life that I don't want to leave.

Anybody have any ideas? :o

No im not a troll either.

How can I get out of teaching in Thailand into a real position which is going to offer me a career choice.

Im 25 with an Environmental Protection Degree, I have an EARA Environmental Auditors Certificate and have worked for P&G in their R&D section.

But I'm stuck teaching Science to kids that don't want to learn. I have a wife here and a life that I don't want to leave.

Suck it up, go home with your wife while you are still young,take 1 or 2 holidays to LOS per year, work away at your chosen career path getting experience and valuable skills, acquire more money/assets, get your thai wife your home country citizenship/passport...THEN permanently come back to Thailand in your early thirtys ...loaded with more options for you and family.

Suck it up, go home with your wife while you are still young,take 1 or 2 holidays to LOS per year, work away at your chosen career path getting experience and valuable skills, acquire more money/assets, get your thai wife your home country citizenship/passport...THEN permanently come back to Thailand in your early thirtys ...loaded with more options for you and family.

Good advice from Penelope,

You are smart enough to realise that teaching in Thailand will not offer you much in the way of security. If you where a Single guy wanting a few years working overseas it is different, but if you are married..........................

Go back home, get a job that pays a good salary.

Penelope said it all .

You will regret staying here in a job with no prospects, and you will also struggle to live on the teachers salary.

Get out now, while you can, you are young and still employable in your own country.

Take a look around at some of the Teachers that have been in Bangkok for years.

Fancy ending up like them, struggling to make the rental payment on a one room apartment in a not very nice apartment block?

Sounds harsh? Sometimes reality is.

Anybody have any ideas? :(

You spent (I hesitate to say squandered) 3 or more years of your life studying for a "Qualification" in something called "Environmental Protection" then you expect to establish a career ....... in Thailand?!

I love this Country, but involvement in Environmental Protection here gets even the locals shot!

Dude,

I feel sorry for you. I am sure it is hard to admitt you need to leave, hard to pack up and take a huge plunge back to the homeland.

Here is a ignorant suggestion. Have you looked into some foreing companies like SHELL that operate in Thailand. Maybe in order for them to function in Thailand that must follow some environmental guidlines, and you could act as their watch dog....

Really I have no clue about your line of work. But with Bush in office, I don't think the states will have much of a need for you here.

All negative, and not what you want to hear. You want to stay in Thailand and everybody is telling you to give up and go home.

well i said, go home,take yearly holidays to LOS, regroup and THEN permanently come back. i dont think it is negative.It is definately not giving up, it is changing tack, and it is only temporary if executed correctly.it is a ###### good, objective advice.

Anybody have any ideas? :D

Career Choice? Teaching can be a career choice. How long have you been doing it and what kind of school are you teaching at? You're 'stuck' - maybe you can move up to a better school after getting more experience(perhaps one of the international schools where salaries aren't too bad) that will provide free tuition for your (future?)kids . Are you desperate for money? Does your wife work or can she work. Doe she have some connections that might be useful for finding you a better job?

--------------------------

I have read all but one of the other replies so far... All negative, and not what you want to hear. You want to stay in Thailand and everybody is telling you to give up and go home.

Now you are obviously an intelligent man and you have to ask yourself a question. Do I give up and cut and run, as I am being advised to do, or do I want to fight to stay here in Thailand?

If you decide the latter, you must STOP worrying about it and think like this, "What is the worse scenario if I stay here?" ...

There is a way for you to stay in Thailand that will suit your wants, needs and desires. You just have to find it, and 'believe' that you can find it.

Do the thing and you will have the power. 'Emmerson'.

It really comes down to what you want and what you can deal with.

Teaching kids - most of the time the overwhelming majority won't be interested - you'll be lucky to make a difference in a few kids perspectives each year. It can be an important difference years down the road. Maybe you can help raise environmental awareness that will help Thailand deal with some rather difficult problems - its a long shot, but who knows?

Interesting replies

None to positive but all truthful.

I've looked into a few multinationals but they don't have many positions available for a glorified tree hugger like myself.

Ill just keep looking for that position which will save me.

When you say 'save me' , it sounds kind of desperate - like you're in a situation that is untenable or driving you crazy. Is it that bad?

You might want to look at the international agencies or Thai govt agencies that encourage environmental responsibility. If you're on a very tight budget than maybe what Penelope(quoted below) says make sense- go back home to the States(Cinci is it? my hometown, could be DC I geuss), come back when you're in a position to stay in the manner that you desire.

My situation is similar in many ways, though I'm older and have financial means that will allow me time to make well-reasoned choices. I also have not excellent, but decent connections that will be able to assist me when the need arises.

Good Luck :o

...well i said, go home,take yearly holidays to LOS, regroup and THEN permanently come back. i dont think it is negative.It is definately not giving up, it is changing tack, and it is only temporary if executed correctly.it is a ###### good, objective advice.

Here is another ignorant suggestion.

Have you tried monster.com? Just type in what you think you can do and find out if anyone in Thailand needs your qualities.

Truth is, I suspect even in America, it would be easier for you to find a teaching job than a job in your chosed profession. No slam intended, but we are hurting for teachers over here, and I dare say partially for the same reasons you want out of teaching!

Have you tried contacting you college.... Yes, I am serious, they are supposed to have placement centers that will find you a job. Maybe you may have to go home, but with your international experience your co. may have you climb a fast ladder, and have you back in Thailand making some serious dough. This would also give your wife some international experience thus making her more marketable too....

The days for counting every baht could be over for you

All negative, and not what you want to hear. You want to stay in Thailand and everybody is telling you to give up and go home.

well i said, go home,take yearly holidays to LOS, regroup and THEN permanently come back. i dont think it is negative.It is definately not giving up, it is changing tack, and it is only temporary if executed correctly.it is a ###### good, objective advice.

For a guy who 'obviously' does NOT want to go home... especially for 'years' and take yearly holidays... I'd say it was pretty negative all the same. Sorry.

I think "strategy" is a more appropriate word than "negativity". My suggestion involves a temporary,short-term sacrifice of location for a life time of permanency and lifestyle.How could one not view that as optmisitic/positive.

But I'm stuck teaching Science to kids that don't want to learn.

I don't buy that. It looks to me like you're trying to blame your students for your own issues. Any student can enjoy learning with a teacher who cares about teaching and knows how to teach, but no student wants to study with a teacher who doesn't like teaching and doesn't even want to be there...Students almost always reflect the atitude of the teacher. Don't forget that you are the adult in your classroom.

Good luck to you, in any case. I know it's hard to get out of a rut. :o

... Any student can enjoy learning with a teacher who cares about teaching and knows how to teach, but no student wants to study with a teacher who doesn't like teaching and doesn't even want to be there...Students almost always reflect the atitude of the teacher. Don't forget that you are the adult in your classroom.

You're more optimistic than am I; which makes me feel better about teaching in the LoS, since you have quite a bit of experience teaching there. :o

How is your spoken and written Thai? If you can get those up to scratch you will open many doors for yourself. What about savings? If you have them why not try a business? If you don't have them then you're probably not going to get them in your current situation and it's best to head back home for a bit. I've worked in Alaska a few times and in 6 months you can save a million baht. It's hard work but a few million baht will give you many options here.

Each time I went back home I knew exactly how much money I wanted to save and I did it as fast as possible. It's always nice to take a breather from Thailand anyway (I would say that for any country). I'm young too - late 20's - and am married to a Thai. I've never felt that I need to keep myself in any situation that I didn't want to be in and it's worked out fine.

Your chances of landing a job with a multinational company while you are in Thailnd are next to nil. They all recruit from the west and then send people out to work. I think Ajarn has said the most sensible thing yet. If you don't have a good attitude about teaching to start with, your students will pick up that vibe immediately and not learn form you. The worst kind of teacher is not the least qualified kind, but the kind that would rather be doing something else. So in your case I would suggest going home.

I think someone said that here. You need to be street smart to survive. Education only brings you to a certain point. You need to change your attitude, or your latitude. One has to go.

There are alot of jobs, not Thai based but slowly you will move off from the Thai teacher jobs. You need to diversify your income to the point where you no longer need to hold a teaching job.

Most people you tend to find in Thailand are on pension, disability or other form of state/private income so they dont really need to find something new. You however sit in another position with no external income and still very young.

This is good and bad. Good in that you can still learn a new trick in the trade. I have met some interesting people in Thailand. Many had developed other skills. Programing skills are very transportable and usable. You can compete with programmers in the US as your monthly needs are smaller. One guy I met does nothing else than make cartoons in Thailand and emails them to the US. He had to learn how to use a computer while here. The other makes flash games and sells them off the internet. He did not know how to use Flash 2 years ago. He does now. Two guys sells goods on Ebay and make a living. The other exports goods back home.

It is also very easy to say, pack up and go home. But that means you have given up. There are no guarentees in life, worst of all in Thailand. Teaching is mostly a stepping stone in the right direction. But that is what it is - a stepping stone till you have found your niche. Remember - That will not come overnight. You will work twice as hard in Thailand for half the money when it starts. But it has it benefits.

It is also very easy to say, pack up and go home. But that means you have given up.

No it doesn't. Sometimes you need to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

If going home for 2 years, regrouping, up-skilling,up-financing etc... and then returning better equipped led to a life time of permanence/desired lifestlye in Thailand, would you not consider that a potentially prudent move ? I would.

I first came here to live as a youngster of 31 (I'll be 50 in 2 months).... But I already had skills that I knew were very marketable (teaching), and I've mostly lived life by my wits, so I figured I could make it here okay... I came here to teach and to live in a different culture. In my case, I was lucky that the grass really was greener on this side :D

There are lots of ways to make money in teaching or education- it's not always a downhill road here, as some might suggest. Outside of classroom teaching, there are many ways to get work as a consultant, test proctor, teacher trainer, school admin, school owner, etc.... For the sharp teacher with good PR skills and the right education, there are almost limitless possibilities... And nothing you'll find listed on Ajarn.com or ESLcafe.com, either. All word-of-mouth, or a product of your creative mind thinking outside the box...

But, you have to like being an educator first. :o

Like others have said, it is you that has to adapt rather than expecting others to adapt to you, or responding to you in your expected ways... Get rid of your old ideas about life and people, for reality here has turned all my old ideas upside down on many occasions. Strangely, that's one of the challenges of living here that continues to keep me interested in living here. There is just so much more here to experience and learn from than I'd ever experienced in my former life. Thailand has been a good teacher, and mostly I've learned the hard way, - but I have learned a lot. I truly believe I am a better man for having lived here.

But, it ain't for everyone. You need to examine your reasoning for wanting to live here. Just being a a place of cheap rents and cheap pussy is not a good reason, in my experience (I'm not suggesting your motivation), and such a lifestyle leads downhill for most... I've seen so many take that spiral downwards..... Ruts here can be very long and deep.

Frankly, it does sound like you need a change of scenery, and some time and space for you to regroup and get your life on track... Maybe going back home would be best for you now. Obviously you need to do something radically different than what you're doing now, and how you're feeling now...

Take back your responsibility and empower yourself to make some good plans to get on a better path. You also have a responsibility to take care of your wife to your best ability, which I'm sure you already accept.

Lots of tough choices coming up for you. I wish you the best :D

Or you could teach in South Korea for a year. With overtime/private classes you can make $5000 USD a month and they pay your accomodation. You could save money there and go to Thailand with it

Make 5,000 US per month in Korea? I've never heard of that... Plus, living in Korea is not nearly as friendly, cheap or nice as Thailand, in my experience.

But it is a beautiful country, and the snow is a nice change from Thailand,- although no Korean would ever agree with that. They'd all rather be in Thailand for the winter :o

I actually really like teaching science it's just now what I want for the rest of mylife.

My options for returning to the UK are very close to nil due to circumstances which need not be discussed.

i've been and done the whole Korea thing - lasted 6 months before I went mad.

I'll just keep looking.

Cheers

Or you could teach in South Korea for a year. With overtime/private classes you can make $5000 USD a month and they pay your accomodation. You could save money there and go to Thailand with it

Make 5,000 US per month in Korea? I've never heard of that... Plus, living in Korea is not nearly as friendly, cheap or nice as Thailand, in my experience.

But it is a beautiful country, and the snow is a nice change from Thailand,- although no Korean would ever agree with that. They'd all rather be in Thailand for the winter :o

Sorry for the tardy reply on this , but I've been quite busy as of late. I was stationed in the US Army in Korea for 3 years in the early nineties. The Army Officer's wives had little to do so , apart from the occassional dalliance no doubt, they spent a lot of time tutoring little Koreans with rich daddies. It was quite a status thing for the Koreans to gain access to the US Army Base in downtown Seoul. It became a scandal when an officer's wife was caught while trying to exchange(illegally) into dollars something like $100,000 that she made teaching English. So you can run into some serious big bucks in Korea if you got the connxs. I bet ya its still pretty much the same.

food for thought.

Pretty much the same everywhere , if you're hooked-up with the right folks.

I actually really like teaching science it's just now what I want for the rest of mylife.

My options for returning to the UK are very close to nil due to circumstances which need not be discussed.

i've been and done the whole Korea thing - lasted 6 months before I went mad.

I'll just keep looking.

Cheers

How long have you been teaching in Thailand (or elsewhere for that matter) ?

Sounds like you're stressing out, maybe a bit depressed and stuck. Silly to say perhaps, but it helps to keep a good attitude and be true to the people you meet, make some good friends(always takes a bit of luck and a lot of time) and things will probably be OK. Lord knows, I've gotten stuck 3 or 4 times in my life - but I've been pretty lucky also.

Take care and enjoy it while you can.

The thing I regret the most perhaps are those times in my life when I was very stressed out and depressed and therefore did not enjoy myself. Living time is limited and there's lots of joy to be experienced; particularly in Thailand.

Sabai, Sabai.

So much expert advice and little substance, but good intentions anyway.

Have money?, can get money e.g. selling stuff overseas?....then if you have some go and see the guys of Sunbelt Asia and get into business if you can. They will advice you best.

In my view this is the only option as an alternative to Penelope's inputs.