Land To Farm In Isaan

Hi everyone, I would like to have suggestion and ideas from more experts than me in this: my wife own a land in isaan, nakhon phanom area, don't know the size in rai, its a little bigger of a soccer field (maybe about 200x200 meters). Actually the land is empty, sometimes her's mother farm rice there, otherwise she rent it to local farmers at ridiculous wage.

Do you have bright ideas to farm it with plants-trees-or animals having good revenue from it? (considering heavy rain season, local skills, etc)

What's the best for that area? What you would do with it?

I won't start my farmer life, but just manage it giving work to some local friends of her's family meanwhile we stay in bangkok.

Sorry if there's other topics like this. If so, can you gives me the link?

Thanks for any input.

Bye

Max

Edited by maxtingtong

Hi everyone, I would like to have suggestion and ideas from more experts than me in this: my wife own a land in isaan, nakhon phanom area, don't know the size in rai, its a little bigger of a soccer field (maybe about 200x200 meters). Actually the land is empty, sometimes her's mother farm rice there, otherwise she rent it to local farmers at ridiculous wage.

Do you have bright ideas to farm it with plants-trees-or animals having good revenue from it? (considering heavy rain season, local skills, etc)

What's the best for that area? What you would do with it?

I won't start my farmer life, but just manage it giving work to some local friends of her's family meanwhile we stay in bangkok.

Sorry if there's other topics like this. If so, can you gives me the link?

Thanks for any input.

Bye

Max

Max

If this land was mine 200 x 200.

I would get a pond dug out approx 40 x 40 dug and stock it with fish , if the guys digging the pond were fair and decent price i would get them to dig a klong take out soil 6 metres wide right around the outside , i would then plant up the Klong with many fruit trees . lots of other things you could add but now you have it an idea for starters .

Cost if you dont need the soil you will get the pond and klong dug for very little money and the fruit trees are cheap we have just plant 500 trees at a cost of 3 for 100 baht .

JB

Thats around 25 rai (off the top of my head).

First thing to keep in mind is that it has/is being used as a rice paddy - which means 2 things:

a) it's water logged in the rainy season

:o the soil condition is going to limit what you can grow (even when its not water logged)

That said, what heppens come the dry season - do you have access to water to irrigate. Its not only a practical consideration, its also an economic one, made doubly worse by the fact that you have only part of the year to generate an income - so the cost of having to put in place irrigation will impact quite siginifiacntly.

In short, their are a few things you could grow, but few which will allow you to generate a decent return - unless you have on-sight or a very near water supply -and by near I mean a river or similar along side one of the land boarders - and not 10 meters below the land (because the cost of lifting the water nowadays is high).

As well, whatever you grow will need to be fairly infrastructure free i.e. you don't want to be throwing large sums of money at it to set it up.

In short, its not so much what will or will not grow, but more a case of the cost inputs to grow that crop versus what youre likely to get for it come sale time.

In respect of unused/dry paddy land the economics can be tricky. Personaly - I'd give it a miss.

MF

thanks for your ideas. The land should be 2,5 rai isn't it?

Yep, that part of isaan is really wet in the rain season, and the land should be raised to prevent flooding

Anyway, I'm thinking also in some fishfarming, or other animals.. any good idea?

What I don't like to plan, is to rip off land that grow feed, to make money with biofuel crop, that's not fair and is creating so much problems at world's balance

Thanks, wait for more suggestions.

Ciao

Max

maxtington, if the land is not being used for anything right now, I don't see how growing a bio-fuel crop would be bad, if anything I think it could be good. It is when people grow bio-fuel crops on land that was otherwise used for food crops that causes the price of food to go up.

Maizefarmer, it is nice to see you back, you had a nice hiatus there, I hope you were well. Issangeorge.

Max, there was a post which included, Rai vs physical measurement, sometime back. I remember, 5 acres measure out a square 466 foot per side. It is much larger than 2.5 rai.

1600sq m =1 rai

200x200 =40,000sq m divx1600 = 25 rai as MF said

Max, there was a post which included, Rai vs physical measurement, sometime back. I remember, 5 acres measure out a square 466 foot per side. It is much larger than 2.5 rai.

1600sq m =1 rai

200x200 =40,000sq m divx1600 = 25 rai as MF said

Wow, you're right and me wrong :o that's cool. Maybe its a bit less than 200x200 but anyway is a good piece of land.

Thanks to correct me

Max

maxtington, if the land is not being used for anything right now, I don't see how growing a bio-fuel crop would be bad, if anything I think it could be good. It is when people grow bio-fuel crops on land that was otherwise used for food crops that causes the price of food to go up.

Maizefarmer, it is nice to see you back, you had a nice hiatus there, I hope you were well. Issangeorge.

You are right but I prefer it will returns to grow food as it has ever been there than convert into other activities.

Thanks and goodbye

Max

You are right but I prefer it will returns to grow food as it has ever been there than convert into other activities.

Thanks and goodbye

Max