Baht/pound Forex Rate

After maintaining a steady 74 baht for a couple of months, the Baht is beginning to weaken slowly this week against the Pound. Could it be due to the serious trouble in the Southern provinces and the UN issued terror warning this week?

I was poised this week to transfer a large amount of money into my Thai Bank account and take advantage of the great FX rate but seeing the baht strength slipping again, I'm tempted to wait and see what happens. The nasty developments with terror elements could see the Baht freefall if tourists vanish.

Any comments?

N.B. My favoured real time FX checker is http://www.xe.com/ Also, I use wire transfer but if your looking to buy cash, the current best deal is online with Travlex UK for collection from airport booths. Their spread is very narrow compared with other UK rip off merchants.

I find Thailand a bit odd with exchange rates.

I went to Immigration Division3 at Suan Plu last week as a final check before re applying for my Thai wife support visa and the officer I spoke to there told me that Immigration use a rate of 40 baht = $1 which is about right but only 60 baht = 1 GBP.

I explained that it had not been that low for years and he said that it was not that important but this was the rate given at Suan Plu.

On 10,000 GBP the difference between 60 baht and 74 baht is 140,000 baht which to most people is very important.

I also spoke to a friend in Immigration and he said the same thing.

I suppose I should give all my baht at 60 to them and buy their pounds to resell at 73 or whatever.

I find Thailand a bit odd with exchange rates.

I went to Immigration Division3 at Suan Plu last week as a final check before re applying for my Thai wife support visa and the officer I spoke to there told me that Immigration use a rate of 40 baht = $1 which is about right but only 60 baht = 1 GBP.

I explained that it had not been that low for years and he said that it was not that important but this was the rate given at Suan Plu.

On 10,000 GBP the difference between 60 baht and 74 baht is 140,000 baht which to most people is very important.

I also spoke to a friend in Immigration and he said the same thing.

I suppose I should give all my baht at 60 to them and buy their pounds to resell at 73 or whatever.

I propose inviting them to visit England and offer to buy their Baht at 90 to the pound. Tell them 'It's not that important'. :o

Seriously though, the rate for GBP/BHT is pretty darn good at the moment. My finger is poised over the 'Enter' key to perform the transaction but I've just got a feeling it's going to get better. Whaddya reckon?

After maintaining a steady 74 baht for a couple of months, the Baht is beginning to weaken slowly this week against the Pound. Could it be due to the serious trouble in the Southern provinces and the UN issued terror warning this week?

I was poised this week to transfer a large amount of money into my Thai Bank account and take advantage of the great FX rate but seeing the baht strength slipping again, I'm tempted to wait and see what happens. The nasty developments with terror elements could see the Baht freefall if tourists vanish.

Any comments?

N.B. My favoured real time FX checker is http://www.xe.com/  Also, I use wire transfer but if your looking to buy cash, the current best deal is online with Travlex UK for collection from airport booths. Their spread is very narrow compared with other UK rip off merchants.

I don't know what will happen to the exchange rate but I do know the winning lottery numbers for the next three months... :o

With the baht still pretty closely tied to the US$, and even slipping there,

plus the re-election of Bush, which I feel will push the dollar lower,

we still have some good times ahead for the Pound Sterling.

Any comments?

N.B. My favoured real time FX checker is http://www.xe.com/  Also, I use wire transfer but if your looking to buy cash, the current best deal is online with Travlex UK for collection from airport booths. Their spread is very narrow compared with other UK rip off merchants.

Another quality avatar, Flummoxed...same girl?

I was looking into moving over a hefty sum from the UK about now. Have you ever gone through xe.com with transfering funds to los? if so, any good? I'm with the HSBC but hear they are one of the more expensive banks to transfer from in the UK.

Never used XE.com... I think it overcomplicated what you can do very easily through your own bank.

I always wire the money using a SWIFT payment, available at any bank (usually 20 - 30 quid( I can comment that with Barclays, it usually turns up in your Thai account 24 hours later ). Importantly, ALWAYS make sure you tick the box that instructs your bank to wire the money as Sterling, as your Thai bank will give you a far better exchange rate, often the interbank rate, whereas your UK bank will rape you.

As for the Avatar, not the same girl but isn't she lovely :o