Beach Road Tree Cutting

thaiman

Well I've just returned from two weeks R&R in Pattaya and can safely say the butchery of those trees ranks way up there amongst the most despicable acts of civic vandalism I've seen. Those trees weren't pruned nor trimmed they were butchered by a bunch of hired hooligans. The mayor of Pattaya has, at a stroke, proved he is no better than his imbecilic moronic predecessors. :o

As for the CCTV aspect they will be totally useless unless city hall install adequate street lighting and maintain it in working order. That will never happen all the time these ar5eholes are allowed to operate without public accountability.

As others have pointed out I don't think beach road is that bad a place. I've read many accounts on ThaiVisa by people complaining of being hassled by hookers and katoeys whilst walking down the beach side of the road. During my last visit I walked the stretch between soi Yamato (13/1) and walking street many occasions all times day and night (not, though, early hours of the morning - I need my shuteye). Apart from a few desultory greetings of "Hello, where you go? I go wid you." I never once was "hassled". I find that avoiding making eye contact usually avoids any further form of contact. Maybe some of these complainers are guilty of inviting some form of discourse as a kind of self adulation or titillation and, as is the way with these girls, once hooked it's difficult to get away (Which is why they are called hookers :D ).

btw I read a report a while back that claimed that in the UK, despite the infestation of CCTV cameras, CCTV only actually resulted in the solving of about 3% of street crime.

btw I read a report a while back that claimed that in the UK, despite the infestation of CCTV cameras, CCTV only actually resulted in the solving of about 3% of street crime.

I think the only cameras that work properly are the ones for catching speeding motorists, so they can fine them. The "powers that be" certainly don't seem concerned about "real" crime, as is evident by the hordes of feral hooligans terrorising the population without any attempt by the plod to disperse them. I guess that it's too dangerous dealing with real criminals.

Pattaya hoodlums are gentlemen compared to the ones in the UK.

The day I leave London to live in Pattaya, is the day I will feel safe walking about the streets!

Just took a walk along the walkway from soi 6 to Yamato. Although the trees have been butchered by people that know nothing of tree surgery, the trunks have been left and are regenerating at an amazing speed. Provided they do not fall prey to some terminal disease, due to ragged cutting, within a couple of years they should look OK again.

Hopefully, the powers that be will leave them alone in the future.

If they want to destroy some trees, there are a few palms obstructing the paved walkway that could be removed to the benefit of all.

As for the walkway itself, almost all the grass has disappeared, and I'm sure the next rain will, once again, deposit sand all over the path. The cement surface is still broken in many places, there are many ugly broken light bases and lots of broken overhead lamp posts.

If City Hall can't even sort out the most visible attraction of Pattaya Beach Road, they have no business promoting Pattaya as a "premier" tourist destination.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

thaibeachlovers: I agree completely. It would seem logical and obvious that maintaining a nice beach setting would add value to the resort.

Why in the world do they let it slip into shitt is beyond any logic.

If money is what they crave so much, then why not invest a little cleaning it up, maintaining it and then seeing large returns when more tourists flow into the area and stroll down the beach, spending their time and money in awe of the nice surroundings.

Instead, everyone wants to avoid that place, except for the night walkers. They are wasting a great opportunity to bring in revenue by letting the main attraction slip into crap.

I think the only cameras that work properly are the ones for catching speeding motorists, so they can fine them. The "powers that be" certainly don't seem concerned about "real" crime, as is evident by the hordes of feral hooligans terrorising the population without any attempt by the plod to disperse them. I guess that it's too dangerous dealing with real criminals.

Pattaya hoodlums are gentlemen compared to the ones in the UK.

The day I leave London to live in Pattaya, is the day I will feel safe walking about the streets!

You wont have to worry about "speeding" cameras, never heard of one in Thailand?

Will you feel safe walking the streets? depends on you, personally I have never felt in the slightest bit threatened by Thai's, drunk tourists have had me concerned at times though!