Eye Doctor At Burmagrad ?

BKKdreaming

Hi all

I just flew from the USA yesterday

when I woke up from the first leg LAX-Narita the vision in my left eye was only in the center, the edges were blurred.

Now (the next day) the bottom 40% or so is blurred , but the top area is fine.

Any ideas ?

I was planning to go to Burmagrad ( yeah probably wrong spelling) next week anyway.

Any recomendations on am English speaking eye doctor ?

one year ago I went for a full check-up and the eye doctor? who examined me said all was fine.

This is the first timee this has happened....

thanks for your suggestions

Go to Bumrungrad. Tell them your symptoms and make sure they test for glaucoma.

Types of glaucoma

There are two main types of glaucoma, open angle glaucoma and closed angle glaucoma.

Open angle glaucoma is the most common form and results when the trabecular meshwork becomes blocked over several years, leading to gradual increase in pressure and worsening of vision.

The build up of pressure inside the eye is painless as well as slow. But, if it isn’t treated, as the optic nerve is gradually damaged, the field of vision is reduced, so that eventually only a small area of central vision remains (tunnel vision) before sight is lost completely. Most people do not notice any symptoms until they have some loss of vision, and by this time the optic nerve may be damaged. This is why regular screening tests are important over the age of 40 (see Detecting glaucoma, below).

Closed angle glaucoma (also called acute glaucoma) is much less common. It involves a sudden, complete blockage of the trabecular meshwork, and can result in permanent blindness if not treated promptly. Symptoms usually affect only one eye, which becomes red and extremely painful. This may be accompanied by a headache, blurred vision and vomiting. Closed angle glaucoma needs immediate treatment in hospital. This usually involves medicine to reduce the pressure in the eye, followed by laser treatment or surgery (see Treatment, below). The other eye is usually treated at the same time, because there is a strong chance it will develop the same problem. If treated quickly there can be almost complete and permanent recovery of vision.

There are two other uncommon types of glaucoma: secondary glaucoma, in which the rise in internal eye pressure is the result of another eye condition, and congenital glaucoma due to a physical abnormality of the eye present at birth.

Risk factors

Open angle glaucoma is around six times more likely to develop in someone who has a close relative (parents, siblings or grandparents) with the condition. People of Afro-Caribbean origin, very short-sighted people and those with diabetes are also more at risk.

Not likely to be glaucoma. Symptoms are not right. It certainly should be investigated and quickly. My first fear would be a Retinal Artery Occlusion brought on by the long flight. Strokes occur due to deep vein thrombosis caused by long flights. An RAO is a stroke within the blood vessel of the eye. This could easily be a precursor to an actual stroke in the brain and therefore must be considered an emergency condition.

Glaucoma is generally a very slow acting disease. A case of acute glaucoma would have much different symptoms.

Here are some doctors I would recommend.

Ramathibodee Hospital -

Dr. Roy Chamdoempedsuk

Tel. 0-2201-2210, 0-2201-1203

Sukumvit Hospital -

Dr. Brinn Rojnapongphan

Tel. 0-2391-0011, 0-2714-1300

Call as soon as possible.

Sounds like you may have had a stroke of some kind, better see a Dr. ASAP.!

Hi all

I just flew from the USA yesterday

when I woke up from the first leg LAX-Narita the vision in my left eye was only in the center, the edges were blurred.

Now (the next day) the bottom 40% or so is blurred , but the top area is fine.

Any ideas ?

I was planning to go to Burmagrad ( yeah probably wrong spelling) next week anyway.

Any recomendations on am English speaking eye doctor ?

one year ago I went for a full check-up and the eye doctor? who examined me said all was fine.

This is the first timee this has happened....

thanks for your suggestions

Just an update.....

went to Bumungrad eye center , had 2 seperate doctors look at my eye,

they said there was a small clot in a blood vessel in my eye.

So they sent me over to the Heart doctor , who did an exam and did not hear anything abnormal , so across the hall for an echocardiogram , which was also fine.....

So they took some blood for tests and the first part came out fine , but the other tests take a day or 2.....

Funny thing was I called back to the states to talk to my friend and his wife answered , she is an RN.

She told me pretty much the same thing and to take asprin and drink plenty of water on the plane trip.

10 minutes later the Thai doctor told me the same thing !

So as it sits now the tests will be back in a couple days , no problems with my heart.

I must say this hospital is pretty amazing , how efficient they are,

hey it could all be smoke and mirrors but I doubt it

They really treat you right here , have someone take you from place to place etc

will let you know how things progress and it might help a few others.....

Just an update.....

went to Bumungrad eye center , had 2 seperate doctors look at my eye,

they said there was a small clot in a blood vessel in my eye.

So they sent me over to the Heart doctor , who  did an exam and did not hear anything abnormal , so across the hall for an echocardiogram , which was also fine.....

So they took some blood for tests and the first part came out fine , but the other tests take  a day or 2.....

Funny thing was I called back to the states to talk to my friend and his wife answered , she is an RN.

She told me pretty much the same thing and to take asprin and drink plenty of water on the plane trip.

10 minutes later the Thai doctor told me the same thing !

So as it sits now the tests will be back in a couple days , no problems with my heart.

I must say this hospital is pretty amazing , how efficient they are,

hey it could all be smoke and mirrors but I doubt it

They really treat you right here , have someone take you from place to place etc

will  let you know how things progress and it might help a few others.....

Those small clots in your eye could just as easily have ended up in your brain and caused a stroke. The advice to take an aspirin and drink lots of water is good. Also make certain that you get up and walk around during the flight to stretch your legs. If possible raise your legs higher. If you are very tall, you might want to pay the extra fee and get into first class. Read up about deep vein thrombosis. There is alot of information to be had about this.

Who were the eye doctors that you saw at Bumrungrad? You should report any excellent doctors so other people can receive this same quality of service.