100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand

qwertz

The bar girls aren't calling you "Darling" (English)..... they are called you "NaLing" (Thai -> Monkey Face)

You wont find that on Wikipedia !!!

Or "dahkling" - a monkey's prolapsed rectum. :o I'd rather be a "nahling". :D

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only ingredients of Somtam that are native to Thailand are the fish sauce, the shrimps (and if included, the field crab).

Chili, Papaya, Peanuts, Tomatoes and Cane Sugar are all non native to Thailand.

----

Black Pepper (Prik Thai) is not Thai but originates from Southern India.

----

Prior to the arrival of Chili and Pepper to Thailand - Thai food was not spicy.

Thailand's national flag, ceremoniously raised each morning at 08.00 hrs and lowered at 18.00 hrs in every town and village, is composed of five horizontal bands of red, white, and blue. Outer bands of red representing the nation enclose equal inner bands of white evoking religion. The blue band, occupying the central one-third of the total area, symbolizes the monarchy. The harmony of design expresses the complementary nature of these three pillars of the Thai nation. The tri-colored flag, first introduced by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) in 1917, replaced an earlier design which featured a white elephant on a red background.

I bet you didnt know that there is a species of tree that grows 1000 baht notes. I have a few in my garden. Pm me if you want to buy any seeds!! I will be more than happy to negotiate a price, Payment through bank transfer only.

Edited by tomuk76

Lipovitan the "Thai-Energy-Drink" originated in Japan!

Tom Yum Goong is an indisputable Thai Dish!

Thailand is the most unique country in the entire world! (according to it's citizens)

Thailand is the only country in the world where a Prime Minister openly admitted in Court that he lied, coined it an "honest lie" and got released from all charges!

Edited by Samuian

the 1984 hit "one night in Bangkok" was composed by ABBA front men Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson with lyrics added by Tim Rice which reached no.12 in the charts! oh and it was Murray Head on vocals

And it is about a chess tournament...

the Durian fruit which is claimed by Thais as there own can also be found in neighbouring Asian country's who make similar claims,.........it smells similar to ......(no better not go there) there are ladies present!

Edited by dee123