100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand

qwertz

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is one for Nignoy, Bendix and the few Thai BMs - or anyone else who knows things.

I know so little but I'll start eith - only one hill tribe in Thailand has a written language.

In the same vein.

King Ramkhamhaeng, who ruled at the end of the thirteenth century, created the first Thai alphabet.

five of the of the loudest car stereos (bass, sound pressure level competition) within the past 3 years are from thailand...but not recognized, because overseas shipping to finals is prohibitively expensive.

the 1984 hit "one night in Bangkok" was composed by ABBA front men Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson with lyrics added by Tim Rice which reached no.12 in the charts,also the same year the Thai Ladies first set their eyes on me. :o .....well I told my mum I wouldn't need my balaclava ! oh and it was Murray Head on vocals

Edited by dee123

:o .....well I told my mum I wouldn't need my balaclava !

It would take the wool from approximately 1.118 million average sheep to knit a balaclava helmet for each member of the Thai population......(and a considerable number of old women to knit them too)

Edited by Tonykiwi

:o .....well I told my mum I wouldn't need my balaclava !

It would take the wool from approximately 1.118 million average sheep to knit a balaclava helmet for each member of the Thai population......(and a considerable number of old women to knit them too)

how the hel_l did you know that, are you on performance enhancing drugs or something?

Only 20 million of Thailands 66 million people have Thai as their first language. And many Thais are multi lingual. My wife for example has Northern Khmer as her first language, then Lao (Isaan) Thai is only on 3rd place....

Traditional Thai dancing was taken from Cambodia.

Aarghh...Wash your mouth out, quick. The Ministry of Truth is watching.

The politically correct view (in Thailand) credits the "Khom" (sounds different from Khmer, though it isn't).

See http://kyotoreview.cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp/iss...icle_242_p.html for a discussion by a Thai scholar on the Khom/Khmer sleight of hand and a history of Thai-Khmer/Cambodian relations.

The full name of Bangkok is the longest place name in the world and recorded in the Guinness book of records, 163 letters

Krungthepmahanakhon Amornrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharat Ratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphiman Awatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

which translates into english as

The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated God, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.

There are between 74 and 86 languages spoken in Thailand, not including foreign languages.

The UNESCO survey says 86. Professor Suwilai Premsriratana, an ethnolinguist from Mahidol University, has counted 74.