100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand

qwertz

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bar girls aren't calling you "Darling" (English)..... they are called you "NaLing" (Thai -> Monkey Face)

You wont find that on Wikipedia !!!

Actually, you're half right. They aren't calling you "Darling", but DaLing which means "monkey's ass."

Edit--ok, just saw the post above.

Edited by dkstoney

The bar girls aren't calling you "Darling" (English)..... they are called you "NaLing" (Thai -> Monkey Face)

Actually, you're half right. They aren't calling you "Darling", but DaLing which means "monkey's ass."

Edit--ok, just saw the post above.

Read full thread, especially my written thai examples.They are saying at least 2 different things.

You will never bed a pretty Thai university student or bank clerk, but you knew that! HA HA HA, but you still live here, why? you lie awake thinking....

Speak for yourself HG. :o

I have to second that. Speak for yourself, hamishgillan :D

You will never bed a pretty Thai university student or bank clerk, but you knew that! HA HA HA, but you still live here, why? you lie awake thinking....

Speak for yourself HG. :o

I was talking about 'you', not me! (this topic might call for a new thread.)

Edited by hamishgillan

Central department store is the first .........and Chidlom is its first branch.

err, that would be central wangburapha...... :o

central wangburapha is now defunct.

george washington is dead but still the 1st president (under the us constitution)

I said that it was closed down, not arguing whether it was the first one, and frankly if you know that sort of information then you must be more bored than I am in Thailand!

Speak for yourself HG. :(

Okay, okay I admit, it has been an issue for a while as I'm shacked up with a Nana girl, bitchin' about it saying why couldn't it have been her, or her while walking through Paragon, but it doesn't really bother me anymore as the opportunity is always there. :D:D:D:o:P:D (couldn't decide)

But can I safely say that as an expat/tourist in Thailand that you're more likely to "strike it lucky" in the red light districts of Bangkok than trying your luck elsewhere, that was really my point.

Can't bitch too much because other aspects of life in Thailand are cool.

Edited by hamishgillan

Central department store is the first .........and Chidlom is its first branch.

err, that would be central wangburapha...... :D

central wangburapha is now defunct.

george washington is dead but still the 1st president (under the us constitution)

I said that it was closed down, not arguing whether it was the first one, and frankly if you know that sort of information then you must be more bored than I am in Thailand!

no worries, and its a proven fact that surfing thai visa will expand your knowledge base.... :o

no worries, and its a proven fact that surfing thai visa will expand your knowledge base.... :D

Yes, as where to not pick your nose, how to use the bum gun, find the cheapest for everything including private detective, how to participate in a poll, why you don't HAVE to learn Thai, and last but not least how to make Thaivisa more interesting for intelligent people. :o:D :D

Wow

cheers

onzestan

The word Farang derives from the word for a Frog :o

..and other such origin theories can be read about here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang#Origin...d_related_words

I spent a year in the Pacific Islands before I came to Thailand and there I was refered to as a "farangi" or "ii-matang" further off the beaten track. They're not too dissimilar from Thais in the (Western) Pacific.

Edited by hamishgillan

Really they call you dark ling meaning monkey ass.

What is said is one of several things, depending on dialect and word used. Monkey face and Monkey ass are only 2 such possibilities.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2089309

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2089392

From Thai2English.com

ดาก

(ดาก-)

dàak

[N] a prolapsing of the rectum

(not a pretty sight) :o

Issan slang, not central thai dialect.

Yes, probably not something some polite Bangkokian would say.

The So Sethaputra New Model dictionary cites it as "n. a plug; tissue at the end of the anus, which becomes piles if swollen, the rectum.

I first heard the term used in Vientiane many years ago, so I'd say you're right - it's Lao/Issan slang.

It's not an Isarn term - it's Thai.

'Daak' is also used in Thai as I imagine you have all heard, examples I know are: 'daak pad lom'- lie/sit in front of the fan, 'daak daid'-to sunbathe. mabye I'm just being too imaginative but if a monkey's bum can be refered to as 'daak' then surely the word generally refers to any type of sitting/ laying out/ resting, verb or noun....

Edited by hamishgillan

As a general rule it is an offence to throw Thai money around as it carries the image of the King.

This rule is however invariably ignored if you're picking up the bill for the whole company.

Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian entrepreneur is the mastermind of the Red Bull Energy Drink. Mateschitz was the international marketing director for Blendax, a German toothpaste company, when he visited Thailand in 1982 and discovered that Krating Daeng helped to cure his jet lag.[1] Between 1984 and 1987, Mateschitz worked with TC Pharmaceutical (a Blendax licensee) to adapt Krating Daeng for the European market. At the same time Mateschitz and Chaleo Yoovidhya founded Red Bull GmbH; each investing $500,000 of savings and taking a 49% stake in the new company. They gave the remaining 2% to Chaleo's son Chalerm, but it was agreed that Mateschitz would run the company.[2] Red Bull GmbH launched the Red Bull in 1987, which is carbonated and not as sweet as Krating Daeng, the Thai energy drink. Red Bull entered its first foreign market (Hungary) in 1992, and the United States (via California) in 1997.[3]

Red Bull has taken almost half of the US market for energy drinks, and up to 80% of the market in some other countries.

In 2006, Forbes Magazine listed Chaleo as being the 292nd richest person in the world with an estimated net worth of over $2.5 billion[4] while Mateschitz was listed at number 317.[5]

Not many Thais can drive, cars or motorbikes

In late 1942 Bangkok had a great network of Khlongs, you could even board a boat from Hualompong:

flood2.jpg

Ha ha.

wonder why some people are taking a boat, while others are obviously walking on water..... :o

Edited by Payboy

Red Bull is from Thailand

Red Bull is from Austria, not Thailand.

Depends whether you mean the original thai one(grating daeng) or the commercial one(Red Bull) that is popular outside Thailand as a result of Dietrich Mateschitz's entrepreneurship.

the thai one :

กระทิงแดง (gratingdaeng)

literally translates as:

กระทิง - bull

แดง - red

either way, Chaleo Yoovidhya has made a stack of money from both variants of the drink.

The Thai reticulated python is Thailand's largest snake (max. 10m long) and the second largest in the world after the anaconda.

i dont know where you got that information, but it seems that source is unaware of the trouser snake species which is known to have its habitat in soi nana, soi cowboy, and other areas of thailand. :o

The Thai reticulated python is Thailand's largest snake (max. 10m long) and the second largest in the world after the anaconda.

i dont know where you got that information, but it seems that source is unaware of the trouser snake species which is known to have its habitat in soi nana, soi cowboy, and other areas of thailand. :o

Mere worms by comparison. :D

Anyway, how did Soi Cowboy come by its name?

• Currently there are 327 KFC outlets in Thailand.

(Bangkok Post, June 4 2008)

Anyone know how many 7-11's there are in Thailand? :D

Are we past '100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand' yet? :o

Not yet.

Thailand is thought to have had the earliest Bronze Age culture (3,000 BC)

Not sure if it's true or not, but, drinking (drank, drunk) with my Thai neighbour last night and he mentioned that 'common' Thai people can only have a first name that has three syllables and names with more than three syllables are reserved for Royalty. True? I don't know.

Edited by bkkmick