100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand

qwertz

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does Thailand have an independence day if it was never colonised?

It doesn't.

The 5th Decemeber is called วันชาติ

It is also the birthday of the current King.

It's also the anniversary of the birth of the united Siamese nation.

Long neck Karen are not from Thailand. They are from Kayah State in Burma (Myanmar). It was said that they first moved into Thailand as refugees (in Mae Hong Son). Some people thought of bringing tourists to see them and this has started a major tourism product - oggling at strange looking humans - really quite like a human zoo.

The Karen originally came from Tibet (not that long ago) into Burma but never got along with the Burmans. When the present thugs came to power they started a vendetta against them which continues to this day. In the long run my bet is on the Karen to survive in Burma. They are a tough bunch.

Good thread.

Probably covered but:

Thailand has never been colonised by another country (Possibly the only country that can boast that).

Thailand was never officially involved in WWII????

In Thailand, having a legal driving licence means that your "Fines" for speeding or whatever are higher.

Thailand was never officially involved in WWII????"

Actually, at the instigation of the occupying Japanese, Thailand (Siam) declared war on the US. However the Thai being Thai, they never got aound to delivering it. How very Thai indeed!!

thailand certainly sided with the japanese during WWII, but got away with not being tried in any court because of the role that thai underground (called "Seri Thai" translates to free thai) joined the allied forces. these were mostly thai students studying in Britain at the time. they helped the allied by coming back into thailand, spying on the japanese and organising some ground resistance, and most importantly passing on info about where the strategic japanese bases are so that the allied could bomb these places.

and if any one tries to ask for sources :o, I cant quote you any or give you any link. part of elementary school classes when I was a kid. so it must have come from one of the school text books.

Thailand has its own number system , symbols which represent the characters 0 to 9.

No, it's the same decimal place notation system as used in much of the world. Like the letters and vowels, ultimately from the Brahmi script, the shapes vary from region to region. (The origin of the Brahmi script is debated, though note that it was devised for Prakrit than for Sanskrit.)

Most Chinese-Thais originated from Southern China and the dialect they spoke was hakka or hokien and are pretty closely related to the Chinese from Singapore and Taiwanese who originated from that area as well.

For the most part true but not exactly correct. If you ask the average Thai-Chinese you'll find that most of their ancestors (and maybe even some living relatives still) speak the Teochew (Chaozhou) dialect. Teochew is particularly prevalent in Yaowarat. You are correct that there are still many original Hokkien and Hakka speakers and that these two dialects are very common in Singapore even though the Singapore government has instituted a policy of teaching Mandarin in schools these days to standardize the chinese language there.

According to a 1960 census, Chinese dialects in Thailand are Teochew 70%, Hakka 10%, Hokkien 6 %, Cantonese 5%, Hainan 5%.

About 40-50% Singaporeans speak Hokkien.

At least four Thai Prime ministers admitted they have Chinese blood and Chinese name.

I think more Prime ministers will disclose they have Chinese blood and Chinese surname.

The only ingredients of Somtam that are native to Thailand are the fish sauce, the shrimps (and if included, the field crab).

Chili, Papaya, Peanuts, Tomatoes and Cane Sugar are all non native to Thailand.----

Black Pepper (Prik Thai) is not Thai but originates from Southern India.----

Prior to the arrival of Chili and Pepper to Thailand - Thai food was not spicy.

They use raw Banana before the arrival of Papaya.

Ownership of ones' elephant must be registered under the Beast of Burden Act 1939

and elephants are banned from the city because its bad for them.But still you see them all the time. A british lady who came to help them years ago received death threats.

More facts-

The british bombed bangkok as punishment for thailands betrayal in WW2, and as reminder not go against the west again.

With full approval from the allies.

The british also trashed thailand, then siam in some boarder wars/conflicts in the south, forcing them to recogonise malaya, which the british had just grabbed and stopping the kowtowing of malaya to the thai soveign. Malaya used to answer to thailand, before the brits came in.

It was the british who, like most of the world I suppose, who drew up most of thailands boarders, thus defining thailand today.

This is because they owned most of what was around it, along with the french.

The claim that thailand was never colonised is true(ish), simply because the west did,nt want it and used it in way I cannot explain too well in english.

In france you marry a women when you want to see just her, but one has sometimes a need to see a lady who gets about a bit, thus expanding ones horizons, enabling one to do what one cannot with ones own wife.Or at least, not publicly.

If the west had of wanted it, it would of got it- period.

In a way- what the west did was a form of it.One which was all take and little return. Hence you do not see the progressive infrastructre left in places such as malaysia/ singapore.

Thailand gave phucket to the brits- who declined it.

Thailand has the worlds only double ring death, 2 thaiboxers killed each other. One on the spot, the other a bit later in hospidal- RIP!

Why does Thailand have an independence day if it was never colonised?

It doesn't.

The 5th Decemeber is called วันชาติ

It is also the birthday of the current King.

It's also the anniversary of the birth of the united Siamese nation.

it was, but not officially, and in the worst way- all take and no give. It was used by the west, and punished when they saw it as betraying it ( the bombing of bangkok

after WW2 served as a reminder to what happen if they don,t obey again)

The false claim to " we were not colony " is in some what true, they did,nt want it, because they got far more out of it using it the way they did

do you really think if they,d wanted it, anything could of stopped them? but to try and think that the west did,nt control, and run it is completely wrong

The head of English at a University where I worked in Central Thailand no name no BANANAS no pack drill

COULD NOT SPEAK ENGLISH

I was admonished not to even say hello in the corridor lest her students discover she had bought her PHD just as her uncle bought the 'pretty' post graduates in his hotel next ot he campus.

Of course as the Minister said on walkabout in Pattaya,which had been forewarned and cleaned up

'There is no Prostitution in Thailand'

Edited by RubbaJohnny

The Karen originally came from Tibet (not that long ago) into Burma but never got along with the Burmans. When the present thugs came to power they started a vendetta against them which continues to this day. In the long run my bet is on the Karen to survive in Burma. They are a tough bunch.

Agreed but the Muslim and intolerant Bhuddists were abusing Karens in WW2 when my father was there and long before according to them.I'm sure the others claim the same and vice versa xenophobia seems universal esp amongst religious types.Ireland has been pacified by an outbreak of irreligion

Edited by RubbaJohnny

• 3 weeks later...
The name Thailand means Land of the Free - from World Info Zone

That's one translation, currently in favor. An ancient Chinese traveller wrote back to the Chinese Imperial Court that the people called their country "land of the Thai". To me, this seems like a more probable translation.

Thailand is the only country in the world to have "Thai electricity". If you don't believe me, next time you see a Thai electrician, ask him about "earthing". He may say something like, "Thai electricity different...not need earthing."

As for the "Land of Smiles", Thailand is the only country in the world to announce that they are "The Land of Smiles" but when you have your photograph taken for official reasons (eg school), you are not permitted to smile. Why? "You must be serious."

In the next breath, you are told that you are being too serious.

LMAO, that is funny but sad at the same time; I saw a man in the street messing with a multibox in the rain.. shocking situation.

University photos.. have you seen the photoshop'd hair they add?