So This Young Buck Thinks He's Got It Figured Out......

Hello all!!

Long story short, I have made my decision to move to Thailand.

I have never been to Thailand.

No, I don’t think I'm an idiot why do you ask?.... :o

I have been researching for a year online browsing forums, watching videos and talking to folks whom have been there in person (and eating at Thai restaurants does this count?). I have decided the Los is where I wish to start the next chapter in my life.

So here is my plan and I'll let you fine folks on this board tear it to shreds!!

Me:

Male

32 years young

Divorced

Military veteran

I currently receive a US government -military pension of $2,557 per month which is adjusted annualy for inflation and also will go up depending on legislation that politicians like to pass to make themselves look good.

I have opened an HSBC account to have those monies deposited directly.

If I am understanding correctly, the on-shore exchange rate as of current would give me about 84,000 Bht per month of income for which I do not have to work for.

Looking at accommodations available for non serviced apartments in Bangkok I would be comfortable with something around the 10,000 bht. per month range. I am aware of most of the charges for electricity, and phone's, food nightlife...etc...

I am ex military and never had a problem living in a tent eating MRE's and even to this day prefer to eat chicken soup cold out of the can..lol So I don’t need to have luxurious accommodations and love to eat chicken and rice..lol

My intent is not to be lazy and retire (much much to early!)

Rather I have many years of business and sales experience having run and owned several sucessful business over the years, I also have taken 2 years of international business schooling. I have contacts and friends whom own companies in the States whom I know I could source products and supplies for them in Thailand and handle getting everything to them and take a piece off the top. (I know the deal with Thai owned corporations where it has to be 51% Thai owned, which is why the US company I already have set up will be taking the money and exercising the agreements with the US companies, and I will only transfer the money to purchase and ship the goods to my 49/51% Thai company which has the agreements with the Thai suppliers keeping me in control of the money)

From my research, on this forum and all over the web I have become excited about the opportunities in Thailand. While I am not naive, I know things take hard work as I’ve done it before, and one will miss the mark or fall flat on ones face as I have done countless times before, but should a young eager but experienced entrepreneur BE excited as I am (I’mreally excited...is this the right smiley for that? :D )

I look forward to reading your comments and to making friends with all of you.

Thanks so much,

Matt

Hmmm anyone else think disaster? :o

Disaster?

Please elaborate?

I have no intention of owning a car, nor do I have deluisions of grandeur of waking every morning at 1pm paying the bargirl to leave, heading down for a massage and then some lobster dinner on the roof of State Tower only to hit the bars again. I just want to be able to survive, eat, sleep and have telephone and internet acces so I can develop my business. I've lived off of $1100 a month in the States before (Rent, food and a $300 car), so I do know how to budget. :D

I've also been married to a French woman, and divorced wiping me out so I have no intention of ever being married. I've always been a lone wolf and shudder at being constrained again no matter how beautiful she may be or how drunk I was. :D

Well you've got it all sorted out on paper it seems and you've got youth on your side. Downside is you've never been to Thailand. Trust me I was in that position back in '92 and no matter how much you are told, how much you read or how much research you do Thailand has the ability of blowing it all away and leaving you wondering what the hel_l planet is this?

Given the right attitude you will have a ball and if it all goes pear shaped you are still young enough to start over.

Best of luck and welcome. :D

PS beware what you read about Thailand on websites. Half of it is lies and the other half aint true. ThaiVisa excepted of course. :o

Just remember this: YOU WILL NEVER OWN LAND IN THAILAND AND YOU WILL NEVER BE A THAI CITIZEN other than that welcome aboard.

Stop eating in US Thai restaurants ( quite different than real Thai food ) and start learning to Speak Thai.

Keep a low profile.

Consider locations other than Bangkok. The climate is hot and humid 365 days a year it is very crowded and expensive.

I've been here many years and I love it still but I live in Chiang Mai

Not a disaster guaranteed, but rather likely.

32, money (but not a huge amount), burning a hole in his pocket.

No clear direction .. .. .

Well, good luck.

I think you should at least plan an extended vacation first

Well you've got it all sorted out on paper it seems and you've got youth on your side. Downside is you've never been to Thailand. Trust me I was in that position back in '92 and no matter how much you are told, how much you read or how much research you do Thailand has the ability of blowing it all away and leaving you wondering what the hel_l planet is this?

Given the right attitude you will have a ball and if it all goes pear shaped you are still young enough to start over.

Best of luck and welcome. :D

PS beware what you read about Thailand on websites. Half of it is lies and the other half aint true. ThaiVisa excepted of course. :D

Thanks Phil,

Ive been deployed to some nasty foreign places on this planet, Iraq, Afganastan, and even some hel_l holes in Africa.

But I can completley understand what you mean for me to get. I could see how finding oneself having made a decision to permanantly stay in a foreign land there you are standing on the street in BKK and sensory overload hits you.....Im sure Ill be saying that song is right.. One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble. :o

Hello all!!

Long story short, I have made my decision to move to Thailand.

I have never been to Thailand.

No, I don't think I'm an idiot why do you ask?.... :o

I have been researching for a year online browsing forums, watching videos and talking to folks whom have been there in person (and eating at Thai restaurants does this count?). I have decided the Los is where I wish to start the next chapter in my life.

So here is my plan and I'll let you fine folks on this board tear it to shreds!!

Me:

Male

32 years young

Divorced

Military veteran

I currently receive a US government -military pension of $2,557 per month which is adjusted annualy for inflation and also will go up depending on legislation that politicians like to pass to make themselves look good.

I have opened an HSBC account to have those monies deposited directly.

If I am understanding correctly, the on-shore exchange rate as of current would give me about 84,000 Bht per month of income for which I do not have to work for.

Looking at accommodations available for non serviced apartments in Bangkok I would be comfortable with something around the 10,000 bht. per month range. I am aware of most of the charges for electricity, and phone's, food nightlife...etc...

I am ex military and never had a problem living in a tent eating MRE's and even to this day prefer to eat chicken soup cold out of the can..lol So I don't need to have luxurious accommodations and love to eat chicken and rice..lol

My intent is not to be lazy and retire (much much to early!)

Rather I have many years of business and sales experience having run and owned several sucessful business over the years, I also have taken 2 years of international business schooling. I have contacts and friends whom own companies in the States whom I know I could source products and supplies for them in Thailand and handle getting everything to them and take a piece off the top. (I know the deal with Thai owned corporations where it has to be 51% Thai owned, which is why the US company I already have set up will be taking the money and exercising the agreements with the US companies, and I will only transfer the money to purchase and ship the goods to my 49/51% Thai company which has the agreements with the Thai suppliers keeping me in control of the money)

From my research, on this forum and all over the web I have become excited about the opportunities in Thailand. While I am not naive, I know things take hard work as I've done it before, and one will miss the mark or fall flat on ones face as I have done countless times before, but should a young eager but experienced entrepreneur BE excited as I am (I'mreally excited...is this the right smiley for that? :D )

I look forward to reading your comments and to making friends with all of you.

Thanks so much,

Matt

Thanks dude. You just reminded me I have work to do.

Just remember this: YOU WILL NEVER OWN LAND IN THAILAND AND YOU WILL NEVER BE A THAI CITIZEN other than that welcome aboard.

Stop eating in US Thai restaurants ( quite different than real Thai food ) and start learning to Speak Thai.

Keep a low profile.

Consider locations other than Bangkok. The climate is hot and humid 365 days a year it is very crowded and expensive.

I've been here many years and I love it still but I live in Chiang Mai

Understood... I know I iwll always be a Tenant wherever I live.

I have lived in Miami (hot humid) and currently live in Phoenix Arizona where is was 113 toady, so I know I can bear the weather. Just yeaterday I compared BKK weather to Phx. AZ (We just had a huge thunderstorm) and BKK was cooler with less humidity...lol

this guys is worlds ahead of most with visions of many bahts in thier eyes.

at least this guy has some background and contacts.

and this guy doesnt have to worry about 7baht non air bus rides as transportation.

one thing worries me. all this oppurtunity he gathers from forums? only nonsense guys wanting to buy gf foodcarts, etc is what i see.

Edited by farang555

i changed my mind.

forget abouutthhiitt . doing buznit that is. you nevr even been to los.....lol!

i was trying to be positive..............lol.

contact in usa aint gonna do u any good here.

By contacts in USA, I mean such as my friends who owns a chain of Paintball supply stores. Ive talked with a manufacturer in BKK that can deliver quality paintballs for 25% of his cheapest domestic supplier, that includes shipping and a 10% profit margin for myself. He's ready to go but I want to inspect the manufacturers facility myself and walk the whole process threw on the ground.

Or like my good friend whom sell performance parts for Supras. He does over $3mm annualy in business. Iv'e sourced and have ready to meet with me when I get to BKK 3 different manufacturers of specific performace parts he can brand himself and make triple his current margins.

Hmmm anyone else think disaster? :o

Disaster?

Please elaborate?

I have no intention of owning a car, nor do I have deluisions of grandeur of waking every morning at 1pm paying the bargirl to leave, heading down for a massage and then some lobster dinner on the roof of State Tower only to hit the bars again. I just want to be able to survive, eat, sleep and have telephone and internet acces so I can develop my business. I've lived off of $1100 a month in the States before (Rent, food and a $300 car), so I do know how to budget. :D

I've also been married to a French woman, and divorced wiping me out so I have no intention of ever being married. I've always been a lone wolf and shudder at being constrained again no matter how beautiful she may be or how drunk I was. :D

And you have never been to Thailand,you seem to be savvy about the place though.spam spam spam spam

i changed my mind.

forget abouutthhiitt . doing buznit that is. you nevr even been to los.....lol!

i was trying to be positive..............lol.

contact in usa aint gonna do u any good here.

By contacts in USA, I mean such as my friends who owns a chain of Paintball supply stores. Ive talked with a manufacturer in BKK that can deliver quality paintballs for 25% of his cheapest domestic supplier, that includes shipping and a 10% profit margin for myself. He's ready to go but I want to inspect the manufacturers facility myself and walk the whole process threw on the ground.

Or like my good friend whom sell performance parts for Supras. He does over $3mm annualy in business. Iv'e sourced and have ready to meet with me when I get to BKK 3 different manufacturers of specific performace parts he can brand himself and make triple his current margins.

Performance parts for SUPERA! I don’t think so yo…..it will make them slower/ I can see the Potential for the painball pellets. Ta Ta for the Tip~~

hey, you do sound like you know what you are doing. good luck. but you no fun!

we specialize in advice for guys who want to buy their gf businesses.

LOL,

Ok really what's going to happen to me is im going to get into town, head straight to Nana plaza, fall in love with no less than 3 girls 2 of them for some reason have elbows that are higher than their waists :o drink all night and wake up facedown infront of this huge place that says MBK with no more money (for the month) and reciepts for all this gold jewlery.

hey, you do sound like you know what you are doing. good luck. but you no fun!

we specialize in advice for guys who want to buy their gf businesses.

LOL,

Ok really what's going to happen to me is im going to get into town, head straight to Nana plaza, fall in love with no less than 3 girls 2 of them for some reason have elbows that are higher than their waists :D drink all night and wake up facedown infront of this huge place that says MBK with no more money (for the month) and reciepts for all this gold jewlery.

You’ve been reading my dairy :o

hmmmmmmmmm......

for never having been to this country you seem quite ready to commit to it... that's interesting.

not a bad thing, sometimes in life it's good to just close your eyes and jump.

and if you are for real, the good thing is, you're jumping having done your homework, you seem to be realistic in expectations... so you might just do well.

though that seems a very high pension for someone just 32 years old....?

i would be so forthright to ask if it is a disability pension, only as to help you with your decision, in that, if you were by chance limited in ability to walk/wheelchair, you would find living here very tough.

english teachers live on a lot less than what you have coming, so you should be able to live decent.

just be careful who you trust with your business involvements here. there are horror stories. and they are often true.

also i think the point someone made about considering other cities here is smart.

so you have been to thailand! im smelling troll.

LOL,

This just shows the power of the internet... I swear i've never been to los, but I've been threw all the levels of MBK, know that Monday you see alot more yellow clothing (kings birthday) Been in nearly every bar in Soi and Nana, seen too many katoeys, experienced a total of 3 Tuk Tuk races at night in the streets and wondered how drunk I'd have to be to eat those bugs that street vendor is selling.... thats just from YouTube....

so you have been to thailand! im smelling troll.

LOL,

This just shows the power of the internet... I swear i've never been to los, but I've been threw all the levels of MBK, know that Monday you see alot more yellow clothing (kings birthday) Been in nearly every bar in Soi and Nana, seen too many katoeys, experienced a total of 3 Tuk Tuk races at night in the streets and wondered how drunk I'd have to be to eat those bugs that street vendor is selling.... thats just from YouTube....

I like the silk worms. Wish someone would sell them around here!

hmmmmmmmmm......

for never having been to this country you seem quite ready to commit to it... that's interesting.

not a bad thing, sometimes in life it's good to just close your eyes and jump.

and if you are for real, the good thing is, you're jumping having done your homework, you seem to be realistic in expectations... so you might just do well.

though that seems a very high pension for someone just 32 years old....?

i would be so forthright to ask if it is a disability pension, only as to help you with your decision, in that, if you were by chance limited in ability to walk/wheelchair, you would find living here very tough.

english teachers live on a lot less than what you have coming, so you should be able to live decent.

just be careful who you trust with your business involvements here. there are horror stories. and they are often true.

also i think the point someone made about considering other cities here is smart.

Thanks for the comenments,

Part of that pension is due to a disibility but not one that limits me in work... just a bit stiff in the morning. I did alot of unusual work for the military (nothing jems bond of that sort..more diplomatic etc..) so I have been compensated after my seperation quite favorably. I also have a very close relationship with the Thai daughter of the head of Thailands version of the CIA, but I dont know how much that would help me as i dont plan on doing any spying or criminal activity...lol

I have read of Expat english teachers living on 30K Bht per month..some even raising famlies, which leads me to believe that if you take care to try you can live quite cheapley.

I am though troubled by the Farang price vs local price... as if I'd have to BS the vendor into not charging me so much for that copy of Hellboy 2.

Further about the business partner... yes your words ring very true with stories I have read (too many to count) of a Farang getting screwed by his or her Thai business partner. I have taken care to set up my US side of the business in such a manner that I controll how much and to whom the moines are paid to from my US controlled account.

Thanks again!

you have answers to everything. youll do fine anywhere!

the only thing that gonna take you down is them little brown creatures from issarn :o:D:D:D:D:D:DB):D:burp:

LOL..thanks!

Funny you mentioned the Issan girls (You spelled it Issarn, am I mistaken by thinking its Issan?)

Their darker complexion seems to relegate them to a lower social status in the eyes of other Thai's.. is this true? I seem to pick up that alott of advertisments for beauty creams are to lighten the Thai complexions as it seems preferable to be of a lighter skin tone?

For a start learn about treaty of Amity. As an American and despite it breaching WTO regulations, you are allowed to own a company 100%.

As for your idea, if I understand you wish to be a buying agent.

I hate to break it to you, but there are a ton of competent buying agents here. My feeling is you will find yourself at a disadvantage compared to a larger enterprise with the ability to manage cashflows/financing and with Thai language/Chinese language skills. e.g. Li and Fung in the clothing trade.

That said, many many opportunities, and I would strongly advise a clear business idea or a period to define it prior to anything else.

I've also been married to a French woman, and divorced wiping me out so I have no intention of ever being married. I've always been a lone wolf and shudder at being constrained again no matter how beautiful she may be or how drunk I was. :o

Sounds like you could have a reasonable time out here. Don't limit yourself to Thailand, there are plenty of other places in the region.

At some point in the future most people here end up with a partner in tow... regardless of original intentions... so you may want factor that in some time :D

When that point arrives... and there'll be no shortage in your line up... you've already got some good experience having been married a French lady. Thailand is not so different really... Just Imagine your ex-wife with the other half of her brain removed, and taking a bath more frequently... you're well placed soldier...Enjoy :D