Gps Accuracy In Thailand

SamuiRes

I believe most new Garmin and Magellan GPS units are set up for Differential GPS with WAAS (Wide Angle Augmentation System) to give greater accuracy. Is anyone aware if Thailand has the appropriate ground station to make this work or would we be relying on ground stations further away and consequently does it work?

I believe most new Garmin and Magellan GPS units are set up for Differential GPS with WAAS (Wide Angle Augmentation System) to give greater accuracy. Is anyone aware if Thailand has the appropriate ground station to make this work or would we be relying on ground stations further away and consequently does it work?

I would be happy if I could just make the GPS work in my N95.

I would be happy if I could just make the GPS work in my N95.

I don't know about Differential GPS or WAAS but suffice to say both my Garmin Nuvi 610 and Nokia N95 work a treat in LOS. The only problem with the N95 is the screen is small and it has to be used with a Bluetooth GPS receiver mounted on the dashboard or windscreen.

Can't wait for the N96 which has enhanced GPS, a built-in TV tuner, 8 Gig and a card slot!

WASS is only available in the US. As far as any differential, satellite signals are triangulated by the GPS unit to give coordinates and they are very accurate. There are no ground stations involved. The GPS satellite system actually belongs to the US government.

Here: GPS Information, you will find really detailed description of WAAS, including the map of the ground stations :o

Also few words about Multi-functional Satellite Augmentation System (MSAS), which the Japanese project for Satellite Based Augmentation System (SBAS).

Also there is one "strange" satellite, on my GPS 60CSx numbered as "42" and I think this one belongs to MSAS. You should be able to see the signal from satellite when you click "Enable WAAS"