Relaxing Holilday In A Local Farm In Thailand

helllo All

Would anyone be interested in spending their holiday in a quiet loca farm in Thailand... you can learn how to make simple thai food,farming, even harvesting papayas...

Note: this is just a survery as I am thinking of starting a Farm life holiday package in my parent;s in law land...big land and nice and quiet enviroment.

Might be ok for backpackers if you stick a few tents and runing water up but expats that are retired want to stay retired and be lazy lol.I suppose 1000,s of farangs have seen the farm life and wanted to get back to civilisation.

Actually "farm stay" is a growing business in some parts of Thailand. It's quite popular with Thai, with Farangs, not so sure.

I'm sure there is something to develop with "local" farangs (people leaving in Asia) as they are getting sick of the sea and the jungle. Now what are they exactly looking for ?

Edited by Pierrot

More and more people seem to move from the tourist areas (Pattaya, Bkk - etc) to live more quietly up in the countryside.

Where I live, we don't see many back packers travelling, but the numbers of visitors are increasing all the time, even now when the nearest "local" attraction Prasat Khao Phra Viharn is closed. (Or maybe that's why? :o )

Anyway is also gives you an opportunity to keep your family busy, and for yourself - if you live there as well - a good chance to meet plenty interesting people :D

The success of such an enterprise depends on many things, the location, type of farm , activities that can be provided.

To be successful a variety of activities has to be provided all year round.

For instance a typical Thai rice farm would IMHO have little chance of attracting customers as other than the planting and harvest not much goes on.

Homestays would typically provide animals for people to interact with,a fishing pond etc etc.

Then it has to be weighed up whether the income makes the provision and maintenance costs worthwhile.

I agree with ozzy,i was thinking of doing somehthng similar to you,only more on the mountain biking,make trails easy and hard and nice landscape for them to see,mainly for thais as mountain biking is about the 4th biggest sport in thailand,and the mountain biking people are normally familys,who love a weekend away.

And if you have tame animals, and a fish pond for them to do things when its too hot [depending on time of year and where u are] i race the m/bikes so i am always with them and they are all nice ,and a good mix of people.

at first using good tents family size with ozzy bush showers thats save water,[they hang from a tree fill with clean water pull a cord]

thais love tents now as they are cheap,when i go to koh samet,[never again on long weekend] there are tents everywhere with thais in them.

something to think about,

cat

we do have a fish pond and and animals, btw thank you so much for your suggestions and opinions I really appreciate it. We are still in the process of planning this, coz lke you mention we are looking into the cost and all. Maintenance wise will not be so much as we only want to start of with a few chalets with basic amenities ..

Do you think its a good thing to do some team building activities?