Are The Bars Closed!

aka_jack

In Soi Bangla, there are large signs written only in Thai which explain that alcohol will not be served. But the bars can remain open and sell soft drinks. (I suppose it's only written in Thai so as not to forwarn tourists...)

Simon

Hallo,

just this information from Phuket Gazette:

Bars asked to observe alcohol ban

PHUKET: As a mark of respect for Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent this Thursday and Friday, respectively, bars and other sellers of alcohol on the island are being asked to observe an alcohol ban on the two Buddhist holidays.

Businesses are asked not to serve alcohol from midnight on Wednesday night until midnight on Friday night.

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnak told the Gazette, “It is not illegal for bars to sell alcohol, but like other [police] superintendents around the island, I have received an official letter from the local District Chief asking the police to try to ensure that alcohol is not sold on both days.”

Similarly, Chalong Police Superintendent Col Samarn Chainarong said, “I have received a letter from the District Chief asking me for co-operation from bars in my area to show respect on these important days for Buddhists.”