Radar/laser Detectors - Where To Buy In Bangkok?

As I am sometimes driving slightly over the speed limit and as I would like to prevent to provide the boys in tight brown with any further donations, I am wondering if somebody could point me to a shop in which I could buy a Radar/Laser Detector? I tried already the usual search engines, but I did not come up with any really useful information, so any first hand advice would be highly appreciated.

Actually they may started to use radars :D . My deduction: last time near Bangkok I was slowly passing one of their points; they saw may face ("farang") and let me go :D . Usually on a highway they stop me telling that I was driving over speed limit- even if I did not :o

Yeah right...that might be your personal experience, but it is not mine over the last 14 years driving cars in Thailand.

Yes, unfortunately Cuban is extremely ill-informed. I have driven over a million kilometers in Thailand and have been using radar detectors for around 20 years now. The first one was a Dick Smith model purchased in Australia and after that wore out, a Radio Shack from the States. This supposedly detects radar and laser but in the last year, it has not detected some new instrument being used that looks like it is mounted on a tripod. My detector has not always been able to save me as it depends on the direction of the radar gun on how much advance warning I get. If I don't have sufficient time to slow down, it at least identifies the location for the next time as they generally use the same spot (depends on shade) over and over again.

I have never been able to find the detectors available in Thailand and I think you may need someone to hand carry one in for you. They do not seem to be illegal as I have had innumerable Highway Policemen ask me where they can get one as it looks "cool".

Pity the posters above can read the words that I use.

Generally the Thai highway police do not use radar but their skill and judgement to gauge your fine.

I too have been stopped and fined when a radar equiped unit was used - however I stand by the statement, generally they do not use them. Better to be able to read the road to be aware of the types of locations that they choose to set up the traps. Long straight sections (loads of them) in particular where they can sit under the shade of a tree during the day and where the left hand lane is badly rutted with broken or melted tarmac and can get you on the 'not returning to the left lane' rule.

Generally: In disregard of specific instances and with regard to an overall picture.

• Like 1

Yeah right...that might be your personal experience, but it is not mine over the last 14 years driving cars in Thailand.

Yes, unfortunately Cuban is extremely ill-informed. I have driven over a million kilometers in Thailand and have been using radar detectors for around 20 years now. The first one was a Dick Smith model purchased in Australia and after that wore out, a Radio Shack from the States. This supposedly detects radar and laser but in the last year, it has not detected some new instrument being used that looks like it is mounted on a tripod. My detector has not always been able to save me as it depends on the direction of the radar gun on how much advance warning I get. If I don't have sufficient time to slow down, it at least identifies the location for the next time as they generally use the same spot (depends on shade) over and over again.

I have never been able to find the detectors available in Thailand and I think you may need someone to hand carry one in for you. They do not seem to be illegal as I have had innumerable Highway Policemen ask me where they can get one as it looks "cool".

Possibly didn't detect it as this could have been one of the new style laser detectors. I used to work in the UK for the Police and these things have an incredible range compared to the previous radar or microwave units and are hard to pick up before they have you tagged.

Very unsporting!

Try Pantip Plaza but it wont be on display as the import and marketing of the unit are in the "gray area".

Owning and operating one in LOS is also in the "gray area".

I had my Whistler handcarried in from the U.S., no problem with the customs but it works also on 7-11, Family Mart automatic door openers!

Yes, there are radar/laser guns operating on the major highways out of Bangkok. They take your car picture with license number, exact time and location and speed. If you dont pay up within certain date wait until you have your next registration and see what they would do it to you.

There are also Red Light Cameras installed in the City of Angels, thirty of them, catching you jumping the red light at major intersections. Test run a couple of months ago caught over 2,000 offenders in a week's time.

We are getting sophisticated. Ha ha ha

:o:D:D

Edited by pigtail

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
On 7/17/2008 at 9:44 PM, apetley said:

Possibly didn't detect it as this could have been one of the new style laser detectors. I used to work in the UK for the Police and these things have an incredible range compared to the previous radar or microwave units and are hard to pick up before they have you tagged.

Very unsporting!

My detector seems to pick up more 7 and shop automatic doors opening than it does anything else when in town. They also won’t detect the variable average speed cameras as they work on number plate recognition and a fixed distance between two or more points so don’t send an actual signal out as such.

You can get jammers that stop the signal as it hits the car, they do work but they come up with error message on their guns so might pull you if they know the signal is jammed. I have a detector that detects laser but not a jammer in Thailand as not sure if legal here?