Peacocks In Thailand?

They are very loud. Here is a short youtube video to give you a good idea:

The United Peafowl Association has alot of good information, worth checking out their sites. And then there is, of course, the whole bird flu issue that has to be considered when thinking of raising free roaming birds.

Hi,

these birds can fly! In Australia there are quite a few semi feral ones. Comes mating season they wander in flocks and call quite loudly. On my small farm there was a group visiting in September: quite a sight to see a fully tailed male flying at you and landing in a big tree. Spectacular but hard to keep home.

In Thailand, I can hear some at the end of my soi in Thonglor. Haven't quite located where they are. Always a surprise when you look in small backyard what you can find in the middle of the city. Goats are quite common in muslim areas.

Just asking... anyone ever had a male peacock? Is it a good pet for a large yard? Pros/Cons? I am interested in one if it is possible!

Hi

I once stayed at a guest house that had a pair, gawd did they make a racket! :D They can also fly well unlike chickens etc and would sit on the roof calling for what seemed like hours on end!

Re read your post I doubt that a male would stay put on his own and I have never seen any in Thailand, I think too delicious :o ,

TBWG :D

I think that I've seen them in JJ before, years ago but I haven't noticed them in a long time. They probably still have them and I haven't noticed them.

The Indonesian embassy/ambassador's house has a few males walking around the front yard.

I knew someone who had half a dozen of them lurking around his house in Australia. They look nice etc, but they crap everywhere (as birds do), and they seemed to enjoy perching on top of cars, scratching the paintwork, and plenty of the aforementioned crapping. Don't recall them being noisy, but sure they could be.

Chances of them going missing in Thailand would be fairly high I'd think - good size meal for someone, attacked by dogs, stolen, or just going AWOL....

But probably better than geese.

i've seen some locked up in aviaries (sp?)

the ones i know in my homecountry which live freely have clipped wings. yes, they love to sit on cars and anywhere else and the crappings are quite big and plenty...

I understand that they are great "alarm animal" and make a huge noise if disturbed during the night etc.

You might find that you or a p1ssed off neighbour will be eating them rather than lay awake when a passing motorbike or barking dog disturbs them.

If your house is isolated - no problem.

Just asking... anyone ever had a male peacock? Is it a good pet for a large yard? Pros/Cons? I am interested in one if it is possible!

I saw my first 'Thai Peacock' a few weeks ago on the Milford golf course just south of Hua-Hin. There must have been about a dozen of them, mainly males and they were calling all the time, making a heck of a racket. As previous person stated they can fly and I must confess that I hadn't realised this until I saw it with my own eyes - quite magnificent to see. It scared the shxt out of my playing partner when it soared over his head about 10 feet above him, as he was about to make a shot. he described it as a Boeing 747 when his heart rate dropped back to normal! The following week I saw two of them by the side of the road on the way to another golf course and again the were both males with tremendous plumage.

I would suggest that they would be TOO NOISY for a small garden and you would have the difficult (if not impossible)problem of keeping them in the property. Geese make very good guard pets and boy do they make a racket when they want, but you won't have the problem of keeping them in the garden as they can''t fly ( as far as I know!!) and they will also keep the grasss nicely mown.