Biodieslel And Algae Oil

rken

Any one interested in biofuel from algae in the Chiang Mai area intested in working together or sharing information. please contact me. I have been researching and purchasing equipment for about a year now. Ready to move into algae production phase as a source for biodiesel and alcohol production.

In Pattaya, but I am interested in the idea of Algae Oil production...Would be interested in your setup, currently Ive just been reading about it.

Hi ArtfulD I'm just getting set up after doing days and days of reading on the net. I'm going to use a closed system (no contamination). I am going to use diffused air to separate the algae from the water (as in a fish tank) but with 5 micron bubbles at 15 psi. I thinking that ultrasound and pressing is the best method of extracting the oil and the fermenting the left over for alcohol and as a source for CO2. I just sent away for a strain last night, Neochloris oleoabundans is a fresh water algae with faily high oil content and a desent growth rate. I have a meeting with a guy from the university next week. they are interested and maybe have some useful equipment, like a floroscope for analysing oil content of algae. Then maybe we can find a local species. Well I've rambled on long enough. Keep in touch and let me know what you find out. I have been trying to find the best ways of doing things without to many chemical involved. A centrifuge would help. I found one for around 2,000usd that would work for separting water from algae but that is down the road a bit. and that is a great price. aloha have fun Rick

PS Maybe we can get together some time over a beer or something. saw some algae oil on the net for $2.41usd a gallong minimun order 10 tons. So someone is doing it for cheaper than gas.

I almost bought some stock in an algaeoil company in Rio Hondo, Texas, but did some research on algaeoil production and came to the conclusion that it CAN be the fuel of the future if [successfully] grown in ponds outdoors [30X+ the return of palm oil/per acre], but the problem with outdoor ponds is contamination.

And also concluded that it is cost prohibitive to do it in closed systems [indoors].

I wish you luck and hope you prove me wrong. Keep us posted.

Aloha?....you from Hawaii bro? I am too and did visit the algae farm in Kona, which failed because of contamination. I would be interested in viewing your set-up and if you are open to visitors [possible investors?], PM me your phone #.

Well it seems to me after reading that article that algae might not share many of the ecological liabilities the more conventional biofuel sources mentioned could pose. I'm anxious to hear how your pilot project goes - judging by the way algae grows in my pool i think you are on to something good here!

I'm with you CH on algae in pools.....sometimes I feel like throwing in the towel with my pool and maybe growing some algae to fuel my truck.

I've also done a little research and found that algaeoil does hold a lot of promise because of enviornmental friendliness, after pressing oil out, you have a sludge that can be distilled into ethanol and bi product for that can be used for agricultural uses.

Sounds like the 'dream fuel' that can get us out from under the thumbs of the 'idiots in the mideast'.

Again, rken..... keep us posted

Last year, there was a conference for NGO workers on topics such as biodiesel. From what I've been told, there are quite a few groups working with biodiesel around here - especially in Mae Sot area. It may be worth checking out the conference to network or to ask more technical questions.

I did a quick google search and this is what I found about this year's conference...

2nd SE Asia ECHO Agricultural Conference

This conference has been scheduled for Sept 21 - 25 (actual conference will be 22-24) in Chiang Mai, Thailand at the Empress Hotel. More details and registration forms will be available later this year.

Edited by earlofwindermere

Just ordered an algai strain and should recieve it in the next two weeks. I am looking for used 4 ft long flourescent light tubes, to build a bio reactor ( fancy name for a closed system rather than open pond) If anyone knows where I can purchase used tubes let me know( I can pay from 5 to 40 baht per tube). it will make the first attempts a lot cheaper. Also keep us imformed about the conference. sounds like something I would like to go to.

For your pool problem try Ultrasound. I small unit for pools is about 200usd but will save you money on clorine and time spent cleaning your pool. That is what I'm using to extract the oil from the algae. Ultrasound kills the algae by destoying the cell wall. Pretty cheap to operate as I remember under 50watts for a pool unit

Just ordered an algai strain and should recieve it in the next two weeks. I am looking for used 4 ft long flourescent light tubes, to build a bio reactor ( fancy name for a closed system rather than open pond) If anyone knows where I can purchase used tubes let me know( I can pay from 5 to 40 baht per tube). it will make the first attempts a lot cheaper. Also keep us imformed about the conference. sounds like something I would like to go to.

How many tubes @ what power?

Are you going to be able to use sunlight during the day?

Just curious if you've worked up a rough estimate of kWh in/liters out.

cloudhopper I need used tubes so the power doesnt matter. I found some new ones today for 50 baht each but I hat to take apart a working bulb to use for growing algae. the tubes Im looking for are about 4ft long and about 1 inch in diameter. I was originally looking for a little larger dia. but I dont think they have them in thailand. Have fun rick aloha

Interesting idea using fluorescent light tubes for a closed system, as others have mentioned would appreciate any photos/updates you have as you develop. I was pondering cheap/easy closed systems myself, purely looking at a scale of production that could eventually take care of personal needs + some extra. Are you looking to circulate the water or add any CO2?

• 1 year later...
cloudhopper I need used tubes so the power doesnt matter. I found some new ones today for 50 baht each but I hat to take apart a working bulb to use for growing algae. the tubes Im looking for are about 4ft long and about 1 inch in diameter. I was originally looking for a little larger dia. but I dont think they have them in thailand. Have fun rick aloha

interested to Know if you or anyone else is still working in this area?... I have had some experience with fluorescent tubes, be careful cleaning out, contains trace of toxic mercury... I'm thinking way forward maybe recycled plastic water bottles, its basically about containing maximum volume of moving fluid for minimum cost.... the other way is two sheets of glass a few cms. apart sealed with silicon, but not very cost effective.... I live south Thailand looking for others to work with....