Po Box In Chiang Mai

vagabond48

I did a search but found very little on this subject. I don't have a permanent address here yet so I'm thinking of getting a PO box. I know you can rent boxes here but was wondering which of the government run post offices would be the most reliable. I want to minimize the possibility of my mail getting misplaced or worse. Can I assume that the government run POs are best for renting a box? Does anyone know the current cost for renting and whether they come in different sizes?

I'm also curious about this subject. Can anyone vouch for the service quality from any of the private PO Box providers? Good or bad - it would be good to know.

Also, regarding renting a box at the post office anyone know the terms: ID/visa required, minimum rental period, cost?

I have had a p.o box for over 3 years at chang klan post office on chang klan road. never had a problem, i think the price went up this year to B160 for the year. i just took a copy of my passport when i first got it and it cost me B150 for the year and B350 deposit for the key, which you get back when you finish with the p.o box. perfect service and as far as im aware ive never had anything go missing, all the expected things have arrived.

I have had a p.o box for over 3 years at chang klan post office on chang klan road. never had a problem, i think the price went up this year to B160 for the year. i just took a copy of my passport when i first got it and it cost me B150 for the year and B350 deposit for the key, which you get back when you finish with the p.o box. perfect service and as far as im aware ive never had anything go missing, all the expected things have arrived.

B160 seems reasonable. Do they have different size boxes? Can you have small to medium size parcel delivered to the PO Box address?

Thanks for the info.

Can you have small to medium size parcel delivered to the PO Box address?

Thanks for the info.

Yes they just put a note in your box and you take it a few steps and sign it to get your package, small or large.

Can you have small to medium size parcel delivered to the PO Box address?

Thanks for the info.

Yes they just put a note in your box and you take it a few steps and sign it to get your package, small or large.

this is exactly how it works with my p.o box too, if the package fits in the box its in there if not there's a note that you just hand in at the counter and they go get your package.

yeah but sometimes (like today!!!) they forget the note and then you just have to ask to see if your package arrived.

I must admit that i only check mine every week or so, so if a package im expecting is not there I leave it a week and its usually there or at least a note, I have never had to ask to see if its arrived. But this being Thailand im sure that one day i will.

• 4 weeks later...

I was about to get a PO box at one of the smaller post offices when the clerk told me there was an post office a tad closer to where I am currently living. It is the one near the train station and it is called GPO. In the USA, GPO implies that it is the main post office. Is there an advantage to getting mail delivered to a box at a larger post office? Will my mail arrive faster? The reason I ask is the smaller one currently has boxes available while a clerk at the larger one told me to return next week. I don't mind waiting if getting a box at the larger post office is preferable or am I just nit picking?

reason for edit: grammar correction

Edited by vagabond48

Get real, folks! The postal service in Thailand is terrific! Getting a PO box is easy; just go in to the nearest stations and do it! Dirt cheap!

thanks, but not very helpful.

Exactly what kind of help are you looking for to assist you in getting your PO Box issues sorted out ? What help that you have not already received?

Get real, folks! The postal service in Thailand is terrific! Getting a PO box is easy; just go in to the nearest stations and do it! Dirt cheap!

Exactly what kind of help are you looking for to assist you in getting your PO Box issues sorted out ? What help that you have not already received?

Is there an advantage to getting mail delivered to a box at a larger post office? Will my mail arrive faster? The reason I ask is the smaller one currently has boxes available while a clerk at the larger one told me to return next week. I don't mind waiting if getting a box at the larger post office is preferable or am I just nit picking?

I didn't say that previous replies were not helpful just that mapguy's reply did not address my question above and therefore not very helpful.

b97, anyway my reply was in response to mapguy's reply, unless you are mapguy's alternate ego.

Lighten up. :o

Is there an advantage to getting mail delivered to a box at a larger post office? Will my mail arrive faster? The reason I ask is the smaller one currently has boxes available while a clerk at the larger one told me to return next week. I don't mind waiting if getting a box at the larger post office is preferable or am I just nit picking?

I didn't say that previous replies were not helpful just that mapguy's reply did not address my question above and therefore not very helpful.

b97, anyway my reply was in response to mapguy's reply, unless you are mapguy's alternate ego.

Sorry to have upset anyone! Really, just go to the nearest station. There's nothing to it. I can't imagine there's significant, if any delay, one station to another! Just make it convenient for yourself!

Edited by Mapguy

I have a P.O. Box at the Mae Ping Branch Post Office. I just walked in with a photocopy of my passport, paid the 160 Baht rental plus the deposit for the key and the box was ready for me the following day. No application to fill out or anything. Didn't even ask me for my address. They even gave me several copies of address labels of my address printed in both Thai and English. Great service!

I actually almost got a box at Mae Ping. You are right. The clerk was very helpful.

Sorry, I wasn't looking to make a scene. I know, it's just a PO mail box but I'm a bit of an "A" control type looking for the best solution. Just a personality quirk. :o

Please excuse me for getting involved with your private conversation with Mapguy since I am not Mapguy's alter-ego or even altered ego and could never be as patient and helpful as he is. Good luck and don't worry, the specific post office branch has nothing to do with your mail service, it is all about your own kharma. I learned that after trying numerous large and small post offices for my box location and keeping statistics on numerous service parameters for 20+ years.

Please excuse me for getting involved with your private conversation with Mapguy since I am not Mapguy's alter-ego or even altered ego and could never be as patient and helpful as he is. Good luck and don't worry, the specific post office branch has nothing to do with your mail service, it is all about your own kharma. I learned that after trying numerous large and small post offices for my box location and keeping statistics on numerous service parameters for 20+ years.

Thanks for the re-assurance about the mail services.

You probably right about karma but I still keep my eyes open when I cross the street, just in case my karma is asleep at the wheels. :D

I knew "alternative" ego didn't look right but I was rushed for time. It's been awhile since I used that expression.

Mai pen rai khrab. :o