Gasohol Prices Down Bt4.70 A Litre On Friday

george

Every gas station I passed in Bangkok today has gasohol 91 at 30.29baht and gasohol 95 at, I think, just over 31 baht. That's nearly 20% drop over the 37.4 baht I paid for gasohol 91 last week.

It means you are back exactly at... april 9... 2008.

History of PTT's prices for all fuels :

http://www.pttplc.com/en/nc_oi.aspx

Isn't that great ? Thailand... a time machine, or a movie "Back to the Past before the Future of the Present".

:o

A last effort from Samak, God or whatever, and we will go back to january 1 at 28,09 THB/liter.

http://www.eppo.go.th/retail_changes.html

Now it's sure : the crisis is over.

As to know how the time machine will do... at the end of the 6 months fuels party... well it's a rethorical question with no interest whatsoever.

Drive safely.

Only Thaivisa could be negative about a 20% cut in fuel costs. I suppose I should expect it by now.

Let's put it into perspective. Thailand's at pump costs are now lower than Vietnam (they increased their prices by around 30% just this week), Philippines (I was there last week and pump prices around over 60 pesos a litre), and most certainly HK. Haven't checked them in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia etc, but I'd hazard a guess that they are competitive.

Let's see you make a negative out of that .

However, Benzene 91, Premium & Kerosene (airline industry) are not receiveing any excise tax cut.

Benzene 91 is the main fuel used by the poor & farmers because the small engines are not suited / tuned to work well on the Gasahol blends.

Soundman.

wich is of course not true. The new gasohol is not as aggressive as it was before and thus it works okay with almost all engines.

I don't think you have first hand experience with the products and using them on small engines to be making a comment like that.

We sell fuel to an average 1700 motor bikes per day, of whom 99.9% fill their bikes with benzene 91. When questioned why they don't use gas 95 or 91, they all reply that it doesn't perform anywhere near as well.

Even today, with a nearly eight baht difference between gas 91 and benzene 91, almost all customers who were fueling their bikes still opted to purchase the benzene 91.

On a personal note, I have tested benzene versus gasahol in various small engines such as brush cutters, lawn mowers and other small engines. The results were easily in favour of the benzene 91 product.

On the other hand, our Toyota Camry, as I assume most other late model cars would, actually gets noticebly better mileage from the Gas 95 fuel.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Gasohol prices down Bt4.70 a litre on Friday

BANGKOK: -- Oil retailers are slashing their gasohol pump prices by Bt4.70 per litre on Friday, following the effective cut in excise taxes as well as the softening global oil prices.

Diesel price would also come down by Bt3.50 per litre.

Starting on Friday, the excise taxes for gasohol products and diesel would be cut for six months by Bt3.30 and Bt2.30, respectively.

-- The Nation 2008-07-24

I remember when it used to be Bt 4.70, not that long ago.

BB

Gasohol prices down Bt4.70 a litre on Friday

BANGKOK: -- Oil retailers are slashing their gasohol pump prices by Bt4.70 per litre on Friday, following the effective cut in excise taxes as well as the softening global oil prices.

Diesel price would also come down by Bt3.50 per litre.

Starting on Friday, the excise taxes for gasohol products and diesel would be cut for six months by Bt3.30 and Bt2.30, respectively.

-- The Nation 2008-07-24

I remember when it used to be Bt 4.70, not that long ago.

BB

.......Some distant time in the last century :o

Having never had to buy anything other than Diesel in Thailand, i'm a tad confused with all the different types of fuels available. Seems there's quite a lot. Could someone (Soundman?) list them all in a logical order please? (Perhaps starting with diesel as the least refined).

e.g. Diesel. Bio diesel?, Benzene (Petrol?) + the various octane ratings. Gasohol + the O.R's. and the various gases. CNG, LPG, etc.

Time permitting, perhaps adding in todays average price for each product.

a little off topic but i'd like to understand how they name the gasoline here.

in europe the numbers are used to qualify the purity of gasoline so 95 is higher than 91 and thus more expensive while here it's the opposite.

could someone explain this please?

thanks

I've seen Gasahol 95 cheaper than Benzine 91. Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

We sell fuel to an average 1700 motor bikes per day, of whom 99.9% fill their bikes with benzene 91. When questioned why they don't use gas 95 or 91, they all reply that it doesn't perform anywhere near as well.

Do you mean motor bikes can run on gasohol 95/91?

Do you mean motor bikes can run on gasohol 95/91?

Tried my Fazer thou' on it a couple of times when 91 benzine unavailable. Wouldn't do it again by choice. Engine runs way hotter, nowhere near the performance or gas mileage. Mate of mine sent his FJR1300 in for a service, monkeys put gasohol in, ran it before back to work for 5 weeks, came home all his seals & O-rings perished. Only 6 months back so I wouldn't believe it's much less caustic than before. Just the terrible gas mileage makes it uneconomic for me against 91 benzine. Needless to say I use octane booster too. Bloke up the street's just brought a brand new Mio, made to run on 91 gasohol.

Having never had to buy anything other than Diesel in Thailand, i'm a tad confused with all the different types of fuels available. Seems there's quite a lot. Could someone (Soundman?) list them all in a logical order please? (Perhaps starting with diesel as the least refined).

e.g. Diesel. Bio diesel?, Benzene (Petrol?) + the various octane ratings. Gasohol + the O.R's. and the various gases. CNG, LPG, etc.

Time permitting, perhaps adding in todays average price for each product.

Today's prices in our pump.

Diesel - 100% diesel fuel - currently a "Euro III" rating. 38.92B/L

Bio Diesel - B5 - 95%Diesel, 5% Biodiesel blend 38.42B/L

Benzene 91 - 100% "Petrol" as we know it. (Don't ask me about octane ratings, don't know much other than the higher the number - the higher the equivalent octane value of the product) 38.77B/L

Gas 91 - 90% 91 Octane "petrol", 10% ethanol blend. 30.47B/L

Gas 95 - 90% 95 Octane "petrol", 10% ethanol blend. 31.27B/L

E20, E85 - not released at our station yet.

Premium 95 - Finished selling that over a year ago.

IK, IPalm - not selling.

CNG - PTT wants 10 million baht to refit our station to sell CNG.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Premium 95 - Finished selling that over a year ago.

Soundman.

Still selling it in my hood, thankfully. I never use anything but Benzene 95 (except for diesel in Triton).

I hope it stays, no matter what the cost.

Filled up with the new prices and was charged 50 satang per 100 baht of gasoline when I used a credit card. I can only surmise is the service stations are trying to recoup some of the money they might lose.

Huh?

How are they losing? The price reduction is due to a tax reduction. No affect whatsoever to the retailers.

Petrol retailers lose 0.5% of the "transaction value" to the credit card company in the form of "fees".

So if you sell 500B of diesel at 40B per litre with a Nett profit of 0.40B per litre, you will make a profit of 5B on that sale and you then have to pay the credit card company 2.5b.

They are getting half your profit for providing an electronic service. We don't use them. Might as well give your petrol away. :o

in europe the numbers are used to qualify the purity of gasoline so 95 is higher than 91 and thus more expensive while here it's the opposite.

thanks

Gasoline is rated by it's Octane (an 8 carbon hydrocabon) content. The higher the Octane rating the higher the price and the easier it is for you engine to burn. If you live somewhere where higher rated gas is more expensive I think you must be from Bizzaro world because that don't happen on this planet.

North America gas stations charge more for the higher octane fuel, why wouldn't they??

Gasoline is rated by it's Octane (an 8 carbon hydrocabon) content. The higher the Octane rating the higher the price and the easier it is for you engine to burn. If you live somewhere where higher rated gas is more expensive I think you must be from Bizzaro world because that don't happen on this planet.

North America gas stations charge more for the higher octane fuel, why wouldn't they??

At least in North America, higher octane was almost always attained with additives. It used to be lead, then it was replaced by other, expensive additives.

The opening price on July 25 was as low as 31.04 here, which has now gone back to almost 32 for 91 E10 gasohol.

Soundman, thanks for the claryfication of the various fuels available.

I know what octane rating is, I also know what Euro 111 is. There's a few Euro5 trucks knocking about here in UK already.

Think it was only about 3 years ago myself and a friend did a road trip Bkk - Chiang Mai - Kanchanaburi - Bkk. I clearly remember we were paying 24 bht for diesel! Not again i think.

Edited by Lancashirelad

thanks

The numbers are the octane rating: 91 = 91 Octane & 95 = 95 Octane & thus the higher the octane rating of the fuel, the higher the price.

To the best of my knowledge, the octane rating has nothing to do with the quality of fuel - it's just a question of whether the engine in your car was built to run efficiently & effectively on 91 or 95 octane fuel (benzine/petrol) and in turn, whether it can handle the ethanol in the 91 & 95 Gasohol blend, as many old cars can't handle the ethanol component in the fuel, as it melts & ultimately destroys old type rubber engine seals, tubing & the like!

91 & 95 Gasohol fuels are cheaper than 91 & nearly extinct 95 benzine/petrol fuel, so you could have a case where 95 Gasohol could be cheaper than 91 straight benzine/petrol, but 91 Gasohol will be cheaper than 95 Gasohol & 91 benzine/petrol will be cheaper than 95 benzine/petrol (if you can get it).

BTW: the octane-number describes the anti-knock properties of the gasoline; higher compression and temperatures should not lead to an early explosion of the fuel (knocking). See http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm .

Unfortunately did (and it always do) the higher fuel prices hit the part of the local population who least should have to struggle with higher costs.

Except from that part I personally must say that it really made it liveable on the roads again and even my rusty bicycle got out in the sunlight for a short time.

Maybe the Government could consider a review of their tax system in a way that makes the low income earner be the winner even at the gasoline pump. The high income earner which it seems to be so many of both on TV and generally in Thailand will whatsoever have no problem to pay a bit more! :o