Udon Pad Ralley Turns Violent

ray23

:D

Addressing the crowds last night, PAD core member Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang challenged the army leader to step down if he was not able to take action following the clash.

''If you claim to have no power [over the issue], just quit, so you can [stay home] and be as powerless as you want. If the military does nothing, there will be bloodshed.''

Early in the day, Gen Anupong said it was not the army's duty to intervene. He denounced the clash in Udon Thani, saying it would cast the country in a bad light, and asked all parties to desist from violence.

In Udon Thani, the centre of attention, 700 Khon Rak Udon demonstrators led by Kwanchai Sarakham remained at Thung Sri Muang following Thursday's clash with PAD supporters in which scores were injured.

Khon Rak Udon yesterday denied they started the fight, saying the weapons belonged to PAD protesters who planned to use them against his group.

Mr Kwanchai said the violence would not have occurred had PAD supporters not organised a rally in the province.

''I will fight against them coming here. If they show up here 10 times, we will meet each other 10 times,'' he said.

People Power party MPs for Udon Thani Thongdee Manissarn, Wichian Khaokham and Anant Sirphan yesterday turned up at the rally site to give moral support to the demonstrators.

Muang Udon Thani police station and the provincial administration's public relations office were yesterday flooded with calls from residents who were outraged by authorities' failure to stop the violence.

National police chief Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan instructed provincial police chiefs to step up security and prevent such clashes. His deputy, Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat, said Police Region 4 was ordered to set up a committee to investigate the clash and take legal action against all wrongdoers. :o

:D

Marshbags, I was expecting a lot stronger response from "native" Udonians than yours, but strangely it didn't come.

I based my comments on the assumption that the thugs were from Udon and not outsiders, and, honestly, I don't see any evidence that they were.

All the leaders were from Udon - local radio host, local MPs, it was the official "Love Udon" group. They could have had some outside help with manpower but it looks like it was a work of your local boys.

And they are not some nobodies either - they are your city leaders in all respects, properly elected and everything, they run the place on a daily basis.

A thousand people is not a small number for a place like Udon, I believe. You can walk out of the door and in less than five minutes find someone who was there, beating people, destroying the stage, burning t-shirts, or even simply watching.

Just like Germany had to come to grips with Nazism, people of Udon must realise that there's something seriously wrong with their community, and it's just the beginning, "Love Udon" is clearly in ascendance there.

Marshbags, I was expecting a lot stronger response from "native" Udonians than yours, but strangely it didn't come.

I based my comments on the assumption that the thugs were from Udon and not outsiders, and, honestly, I don't see any evidence that they were.

All the leaders were from Udon - local radio host, local MPs, it was the official "Love Udon" group. They could have had some outside help with manpower but it looks like it was a work of your local boys.

And they are not some nobodies either - they are your city leaders in all respects, properly elected and everything, they run the place on a daily basis.

A thousand people is not a small number for a place like Udon, I believe. You can walk out of the door and in less than five minutes find someone who was there, beating people, destroying the stage, burning t-shirts, or even simply watching.

Just like Germany had to come to grips with Nazism, people of Udon must realise that there's something seriously wrong with their community, and it's just the beginning, "Love Udon" is clearly in ascendance there.

When you consider the remarks made by the governor of Udonthani and compare them to what was on the video, he is in complete denial and totally disregards the effects this had on the majority of the Udon community.

I take you points regarding the leaders, their no brain paid for supporters and their roles in all this but it has always been the case in regards to Thaksin, the TRT and now the surrogate party.

I,d like to defend the majority of Udonthani,s citizens who have always been peaceful and friendly people who would not and do not behave in this manner.

Sadly it gives everyone an undeserved reputation and allows the province to come across as a troublesome place, which most certainly is not the case.

I stand by my assumptions that the majority of the thugs were recruited outside Udon and came in on a pre arranged schedule. along with the apparent blessing of the police.

Many of the local Puyai are loyal to Thaksin and are more than willing paid servants and tools for his evil objectives, again this is nothing new and has been like it since the TRT was elected and he became the CEO, in fact it started some time before they came to power and he already had them on his payroll.

I can tell you that I for example was exercising in the park prior to the chaos that took place (appoximately 90 minutes ) and there was no sign what so ever on what was about to unfold.

( I went out the following morning and it was back to being a normal, peaceful environment, the destructive forces long gone to possibly plan their next dastardly deed no doubt. )

Anyway................to continue,

There where several other regulars, including a couple of other foreigners, like myself, happily doing our thing and exchanging our usual friendly greetings.

The PAD were preparing their lay outs and acting in a normal, peaceful way, as we have come to expect from them.

I finished my exercising and went home, then i found out about what had happened and to say i was first of all surprised and then angry at what took place is understating my feelings big time.

By all means slag the officials and their thugs and deservedly so, but please do not tar the majority of Udons citizens with the same brush.

They really are unassuming in the majority and are very upset and sad at what took place in their beloved city, of which they are rightly proud of.

You will get a genuine smile most of the time and you are made to feel welcome by the majority of the locals.

Sadly most of the officials are corrupt and highly paid for their loyalty, they are very unprincipled individuals with money their god and try to keep control of the city by fear, whenever there is opposition to their authority, and elections are pending

We are all well aware of the scenario but as of yet it has been impossible for the genuine, respectable locals to get them out.

marshbags

P.S.

I to expected more reaction to your initial observations but for one reason or another they weren,t forth coming ????

Possibly out of respect for the victims of the events that had occured and are presently being debated.

Edited by marshbags

Well those of us that live here know the city and what you saw in that incident was not the Udon that we know. Guestimating but I wound not be surprised if the population is either or at near to million people.

So 500 to 100o people is a very small repesentation of the population. Those that were willing to do damage to others for pay. What happened here was no accidental meeting. As a general rule people don't normally carry axes to meetings.

You know we are concentrating on Udon, because that was where the most damage was done. But it was not the only city in Issan to experience problems, again I doubt that was an accident. What I see is an organized approach by enitity speicifically against another. Why Issan to many eyes in Bangkok, simple as that. Had that same thing happened in Bangkok it would have been all over he BBC and CNN within hours.

Saw a worrying thing for the first time today a statement by PAD hinting that it might retaliate with violence. I'm sure that everyone has heard of the bangkok Mascre. Well that was on the border of being a civil war. Only a very strong and wise person could stop it.

If these two entites resort to violence and giving as receiving. I can believe a repeat of that again. What is happening is no small matter to either one of these entites, they are both looking at surviving how far will they go to do that. We now know how far one group will go. Personally I don't think the PAD is going to stop and will do what it feels it needs to do to carry on. Including biting back.

For us in Udon that is not a good sign, it's the key point as of Thursday, so why go to Khan Kean to prove your williness to fight back. It's obvious that Bangkok is doing all it can to point the finger in other directions. They really don't want to see this stuff in the National News right now, hurts the money tree.

This is one of those times that I hope I am wrong.

But in case I'm not I see red on heads or yellow this old boy will be going the other way

There is a sure way to dampen the thing down.

Arrest some of those B*S*A*DS that are clearly shown on the various videos and let everyone effected see some accountablity from the authorities.

Their condemnation in terms of what it warrants are sadly non existant.

Thaksin, Chalerm, Samak, The PPP / TRT ect. ect. ect. are getting exactly what they wish to happen, otherwise yes, you will get some adverse reactions if it is not contained and isolated.

You can only push so far and from my perspective it,s already reached the limits.

Failing this the only option to take is.....................................

Pad must contain all their protest to the capital and other areas where the authorities are not bias towards the evil one.

Otherwise anarchy will surely happen and then the bullets will start flying and the losers will be the genuine caring citizens,

The innocent elderly and very young. and last of all and very important, Thailand and it,s institutions / reputation that is slowly deteriorating at speed.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Incidents like that give Udon a bad reputation, it's unavoidable.

I was glad to read that the local police station and governor's office were inundated with angry phone calls, someone still cares.

Wikipedia gives Udon's population 142 thousand.

>>>>

It's a paradox, isn't it? Nice, friendly people you can usually rely on, and then some shit like this happens out of the blue.

Whose fault is it? Is it only Thaksin's? Is it only Chalerm's? Is it only local MP's? Is it only local radio host's? Is it only the people who went there on that fateful morning?

Was it really out of the blue?

Again, Germany example is appropriate. They are generally nice and polite, but when Nazis took over all hel_l broke lose. And they were still nice and friendly with each other, content and prosperous, and they had the best Olympics of the time.

So, Udon is peaceful and quiet again, only Pad supporters need to be afraid to walk on the streets and let outsiders know of their political affiliations, because the city is determined to purge Udon of them.

No I would not walk through Udon holding a PAD banner today.

The figures Wenpedka are probably close true if you only count the limits of Udon proper, which does not include the area where this happened. But Udon is made up of a bunch of small cities that attached to the City boundries and grew out beyond the ring road all are heavily populated. So probably somewhere between my guestimate and the other figures lies the truth. Unless you have been here and driven the area. Hard to get the scope of it's size. If ride from my home to what is condidered the towmn center takes me twenty minutes.

Either way it's still a very small percentage of people involved.

I will accept the fact that this problem goes way beyond anything to do with Udon. But that is for each person to decide and up to them. If you fear coming here then by all means don't do so. But, you will probably find about 2,000 farrang who might not think your correct.

This is a very important development:

"Prem worries about conflicts facing the Thais

(BangkokPost.com) – Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda expressed concern about recent clash between People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters and its opponents.

He said he does not know much about the detail of the clash, but does not want to see the Thais fighting against each other.

“But I’m certain that they (Thais) will join hands when the right time comes,” he said."

Edited by ray23

Try not to lose the real meaning of what is happening, based on one incident of many. As a guest here there are many things I don't speak about. I let others with a deeper knowledge explain what we see in front of us today.

" National crisis is looming - academic

By By Pravit Rojanaphruk

Sunday Nation

Published on July 27, 2008

Institutions in Thailand must take stock of themselves or risk the country facing a deeper political divide with unprecedented, national violence, unrest and anarchy, Tham-masat University anthropologist Theerayuth Boonmee warns.

Theerayuth says this time "even a military coup may not be able to contain such a situation".

'On the edge'

He said Thailand is on the edge due to four crises: parliamentary, lack of problem solving, judicial and an aggressive PM Samak Sundaravej.

"Samak gets an A or even A-plus [at making aggressive remarks]," says Theerayuth.

He says the courts should speed up corruption trials.

'Rule of law needed'

"Usually politicians worldwide are not as thick-faced and once they're criticised they resign.

"In Thailand, it doesn't work that way. They will not resign until the courts make a ruling."

Former premier Anand Panyarachun says 35 years after the October 14, 1973 uprising, hope and idealism remain just that.

He says the rule of law is badly needed as is a free press, some things he says Thailand is only partially achieving."

When ultra-conservative nationalist groups such as PAD try to force a government change thru other than democratic means, there are often violent responses. The ball is in PAD's court on this one. Unfortunately, they will play hardball at the expense of a few of their pawns.

When ultra-conservative nationalist groups such as PAD try to force a government change thru other than democratic means, there are often violent responses. The ball is in PAD's court on this one. Unfortunately, they will play hardball at the expense of a few of their pawns.

Predictable observation eh sunrise, I wondered when one of your posts of wisdom would enter the debate, as usual i cannot gleen anything from it apart from your obvious dislike of true democracy of this nature and voicing ones opinion free and peacefully, without having the hel_l beaten out of you in an attempt to silence the governments / Thaksins that is, critics and otherwise ect. ect.

marshbags :o

The price of political and economic stability is sometimes a few pools of blood on the ground. This incidence is pure provocateurship and is to be expected when those in power are becoming desperate. It is indirect state terrorism. Whether any of us agree with the PAD is not the issue. However much any of us think they are a bunch of whiners, poor sports, or sore losers is a loss of focus for the real issue, which is: "They have real concerns and are going about addressing them publicly, because there is no other way for them to do it. They are disenfranchised; marginalized. Whether or not they are going about it in the right way is not for me to say, but they have the right to do it. Freedom of speech is for the guaranteed safe expression of ideas with which we don't necessarily agree or even outright reject."

I won't be afraid of visiting Udon now or anytime in the future, I hope.

Just one more item added to the list of usual precautions

Don't talk about the King

Don't talk about Deep South

Don't drink with policemen

Don't drink with Thais you don't know

Probably don't drink with Thais at all, just as a precaution

Don't drnk and talk politics

Don't talk politics at all.

Do praise Beer Chang and somtam and grilled chicken, and do a little round of Thai dance.

>>>>

Hmm, no wonder I never wanted to go there.

And the beat goes on, no surprises here.

"Injured protestors to meet press, Interior minister urged to resign

BANGKOK, July 27 (TNA) - Somkiat Pongpaiboon, a core leader of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), will visit protestors who were injured in a clash with pro-government activists in northeastern Udon Thani province, according to another PAD core leader.

PAD Core leader retired Maj. Gen. Chamlong Srimuang on Sunday said Mr. Somkiat, also a member of the opposition Democrat Party, would bring the injured demonstrators to a press conference in Bangkok Monday morning.

The injured will then lodge complaints to Thai and United Nations-related human rights agencies, Gen. Chamlong said.

Hundreds of protestors from the so-called 'Udon Lover Group' on Thursday stormed into a PAD-led rally

in Udon Thani and demolished its stage. Some chased and beat PAD adherents in Udon. A similar event occurred in the nearby province of Buri Ram.

Udon Thani governor Supoj Laowansiri on Friday expressed concern at the violence, saying that 15 persons

were injured in the melee. However, he said no one was beaten to death as earlier reported, but four of the injured were hospitalised.

Meanwhile, a deputy spokesman of the opposition Democrat Party, urged Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to take stern action against the attackers and demanded that Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung accept responsibility and resign from his post.

The interior minister is responsible for maintaining peace but he had instead created divisiveness among the public, said Mr. Sathit Pitutecha. (TNA)"

POLITICAL VIOLENCE

Injured protester seeks un help

By The Nation

Published on July 28, 2008

PAD claims govt has done nothing to bring Udon Thani culprits to justice

A man who was injured in last week's clash between pro- and anti-government protesters in Udon Thani will seek United Nations help in investigating the incident, People's Alliance for Democracy co-leader Suriyasai Katasila said yesterday.

Thanyanan Jarunjirawongse will appear at a press conference today to tell what really happened.

He will then submit a petition to the UN, asking the agency to intervene and investigate the incident and take action against the government for allowing pro-government protesters to attack anti-government demonstrators.

Since the clash, the government had done nothing to investigate and take legal action against the culprits, Suriyasai said.

Meanwhile, the Senate committee on human rights will today demand the government be accountable for its lapse of duty relating to the clash in Udon Thani.

"The prime minister, the interior minister, the national police chief and the provincial police chief should take turns at the hearing and tell what each has done in response to the violent incident," Senator Naruemol Siriwat said yesterday.

Naruemol said the prime minister should hold a press conference to acknowledge his failure to safeguard human rights as sanctioned by the Constitution with the same fanfare as when he announced six relief measures to cope with economic woes.

The PAD meanwhile criticised the PM for neglecting to resolve many violent clashes.

Many leading figures voiced concern that the clashes might spiral out of control, deepening the political polarisation. PAD-led protesters were attacked by their opponents in Udon Thani, Maha Sarakham and Chiang Rai.

PAD leader Somsak Kosaisuk said he was disappointed that Samak Sundaravej skirted the issue during his weekly programme "Talking Samak Style".

"Samak failed to mention the horrible violent incident in Udon Thani where so many people sustained serious injuries. This is like he is tacitly condoning the thugs," Somsak said.

Another PAD leader, Pipop Thongchai, said the thugs who attacked PAD-led protesters were politically motivated and organised by MPs from the People Power Party.

"The government should assume responsibility for the eruption of violence, but Samak maintains his silence as if he is trying to encourage a perception that the majority of the people oppose the PAD," he said.

He said he suspected certain soldiers were involved in the Udon Thani incident and he called on the Army chief to look into the matter.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he would carry on with his work even though his critics called for his resignation on grounds of failing to prevent violent clashes.

Chalerm said he instructed every provincial governor and law enforcement authorities to remain vigilant.

Democrat Party assistant secretary-general Thepthai Senpong said the prime minister was risking an increase in instability if his elected government failed to be an anchor to safeguard peace.

People Power Party spokesman Kudhep Saikrachang said his party was not a root cause of the present political predicament.

Kudep said Thammasat University lecturer Thirayuth Boonmi had a lopsided view to blame his party for the unstable situation.

He said Thirayuth had gone overboard by predicting a civil war. Political normalcy can be restored should the PAD review its stance, he added.

"Street protests should not be a problem if there is no ulterior motive to move into areas filled with opponents," he said, hinting that the PAD might try to provoke violence.

He said Democrat Party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban brought up a groundless allegation that the PPP paid up to Bt30 million per incident to instigate the attacks against the PAD.

He said the PPP did not condone violence, adding there was no link between the party and local politician Uthai Saenkaew, who is a younger brother of Deputy Agriculture Minister Thirachai Saenkaew.

Uthai was seen at the Udon Thani incident.

Kudep called for the PAD to stop its plans to spread street protests.

Former coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin said politics would be back on course once politicians put the public before vested interests.

Sonthi called on parties concerned to abide by the Constitution instead of trying to revamp the political system.

He said he remained optimistic that the political conflict would not split the country apart.

He said he did not expect the military to get involved in politics despite prodding by the PAD to sway the armed forces to its side.

He also dismissed the allegation that the junta had propped up independent organisations to undermine and oust the elected government.

"Even when the junta was in power, it was impossible to wield influence over the independent organisations," he said.

Unquote

The opposition to anyone who is anti government re it,s policies and all the well publicised cronyism ect. ect. ect. was not born in recent times but started when Thaksin was creating the New Wonder " TRT " party of which he alledged would be different and would serve Thailand and all it,s citizens.

He then went on to pay big money to entice all those in positions of power within the local authorities, who in turn told the Moo Bans how and who they must vote for.

In turn they were given an array of gifts from 100 baht onwards in monetary rewards, and the usual B.Caps, tee shirts and jackets ect. ect.

( Yes this sort of thing went on before, but Thaksin got it off to a fine self serving art form, big time. )

From that day onwards it was unadvisable to publicise your opposition to them and suffer being isolated and treated unfavourably within the communities.

I might add that i never saw any violent reactions towards these brave individuals. and in any case most learned to go with the flow and then vote according to their true affiliations and wishes at the ballot box, this included taking / having to take the customary 100 baht.

It is not in your face stuff either and violence is not an everyday occurence here i might add and enforcise, it,s a little more subtle than that, for obvious reasons.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Well there it is folks

From the Thai News Bureau

"Udornt Thani group affirms it will not desist from clashing with PAD

Udornthani Enthusiasts group leaders Kwanchai Phraipana (ขวัญชัย ไพรพนา) and Uthai Saenkaew (อุทัย แสนแก้ว) emerged from over 2 hours of questioning by police concerning a recent clash with the People's Alliance for Democracy. Both leaders assured that they had only traveled to meet police as a sign of their innocence and both were released without bail or collateral. The leaders denied police claims that they were an unlawful and have threatened to counter sue such claims as well as warning that they will not cease to defy the PAD and attempt to deny them from rallying in Udornthani.

Provincial Police Commander, Police Major General Permsark Paradornsak (เพิ่มศักดิ์ ภราดรศักด) said that the two men have been processed according to law and have received all charges against them. "

There is an old proverb attributed to the Englishman, John Heywood, in 1546 -- and used by Jonathan Swift in 1738, and in America by Thomas Chalkey in 1713, which says, "There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."

So, now the PAD are parading their injured pawns around in front of the cameras in Bangkok. Nice....!

I sometimes wonder if for some TV "platinum" members, the status of "fools gold" might be more appropriate.

Edited by jackspratt

So, now the PAD are parading their injured pawns around in front of the cameras in Bangkok. Nice....!

I sometimes wonder if for some TV "platinum" members, the status of "fools gold" might be more appropriate.

Well, for an "advanced" member, you don't have a whole lot to say about the PAD parading their pawns in front of the cameras in Bangkok instead of assisting them in recovery. Not surprising in the least....

Well, for an "advanced" member, you don't have a whole lot to say about the PAD parading their pawns in front of the cameras in Bangkok instead of assisting them in recovery. Not surprising in the least....

As a "senior member" my only comment is that it seems to be part of the normal political process to make what you can out of the thuggery of the opposition (and their cheerleaders on TV).

As a "senior member" my only comment is that it seems to be part of the normal political process to make what you can out of the thuggery of the opposition (and their cheerleaders on TV).

Well put Jack. It's been precisely my view to expose the thuggery of the opposition, Democrats and PAD, (and their cheerleaders on TV). While not defending Thaksin or his cronnies, this opposition is far more dangerous to the Thai people, in the words of free-speech activist Supinya.

General news,Thursday July 31, 2008

EDITORIAL

Udon violence must not recur

News footage showing hundreds of pro-government thugs, armed with iron bars, wooden clubs, swords and slingshots, attacking anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) demonstrators in Udon Thani province on July 24 has been broadcast across the country and probably around the world. The horrible incident which took place right before the watchful eyes of dozens of police and local authorities, who made no attempt to stop the violence, has shamed the country and the Thai people in the eyes of the international community. It also made a mockery of the law enforcement system.

The hooligans who called themselves khon rak Udon (people who love Udon) should be ashamed of themselves for shaming their province and their people, most of whom had nothing to do with the senseless act of unprovoked violence. The sight of khon rak Udon followers cheering their two leaders, Kwanchai Praipana and Uthai Saenkaew (younger brother of Deputy Agriculture Minister Theerachai Saenkaew) when they showed up Monday to answer criminal charges lodged against them by the Udon Thani police, was quite unthinkable and raised a big question mark about their state of mind, which might require psychiatric counselling.

The inaction of the Udon Thani police and local authorities pales, however, when compared with the government's indifference to the horrible incident. Mr Theerachai was quoted as saying that the incident was similar to a fistfight at a rock concert. Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej - who earlier urged PPP members to start "killing" their political opponents after many of their own people had been "killed" - has so far refused to comment on the event.

Unquote

Ref url for the rest of the article is :- http://www.bangkokpost.com/310708_News/31Jul2008_news19.php

Freedom of speech, there,s a laugh for you.

I think that the the forces of genuine law and order, who are not paid to do the evil bidding of Thaksin and his ilk, are at last starting to show what the meanig of democracy is all about.

I read some time ago about who the families of many years standing had rightly earned the right to be PUYAI and the citizens of Thailand rightly paid them respect and acknowledged their standing in Thai society.

They gave back to the community and did not cheat and pillage as happens now and has taken place over many years of late.

Hopefully they have awoken from their slumber and said enough is enough and are starting to use their inlfuences once again for the better of every genuine citizen, who deserve a better future and stability.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Everyone is for freedom of speech but a several month long Bangkok rally (blocking roads, Kids can't get to school, Government personnel can't get to work, causing instability in the economy, Ect.) is going overboard and if anyone does anything about it they cry "No Freedom of Speech"? I don't know any country that would have let a rally go on that long. For good or bad the PPP won the election. PAD needs to let up and quit causing instability in the Government and work on trying to win the next election.

An interesting point, excercises one freedom is not supposed to interfer with others freedoms. Normally in the States events like this are done with permits. But, here we sit is the PPP going to isssue those permits?

So if we take the model of excercising free speech, that would not allow blocking roadways, side walks, Access to any building, government or otherwise.

But we live in a Country where it is not unuisual at all to see and tent set up taking over a lane of traffic to have a funeral.

Does free speech extend to people who don't want to hear what you have to say. Guess in the end that is really up to Thailand. They sit the standards. But, those standards have to apply to all in all situations