Which Island/city You Prefer For Longterm Living?

Which island/city you prefer for longterm living?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I Love Chiang Mai!

If I had to pick a place in Thailand to live, that would be the place! ( mind you , while I like Pattaya very much :D ), I could never live there for more than a few weeks. Never been to Phuket, don't have any inclination to go there anyway, heard it's too expensive ... :D )

Ever since I first read about the city in National Geographic magazine when I was a little boy, I dreamed of visiting "The Rose of the North" ( especiallly since it mentioned in the article that the most beautiful women in Thailand come from Chiang Mai! :D )

Now my only gripe about the place is trying to cross Moom Muang and Chaiyaphum road.... It's like a live action "Frogger" video game! :D

Hopefully, when I become an old man, my trophy young Thai girlfriend-wife and I will move there when I can finally retire! :o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This poll more concentrated on places that attract tourist, because

i am trying to target toursit in future.  I have also leaved out bangkok

i am quite fimilier with this city.The downside about BKK is nothing to

do day time, except to work, and not much differs from some other

part of the worlds in some aspects.

Nothing to do daytime in BKK? There is nothing much to do in other parts of Thailand either, only activities not much different from other parts of the world, even the islands are surrounded by the same kind of sea as elsewhere. :D

"Target tourist in future"??? :D What do you mean? :o

Definitely, Hua Hin. The beach got a recent 4 star rating - no beach in Thailand surveyed got 5. That surprised me, but good news, particularly with regard to water quality.

Hills behind town, allbeit not as extensive as the north. Visa runs easily done in Ranong - 4hrs by car - and Bangkok only 3.5 hrs away.

Yes, it's getting more pricey, but where isn't in Thailand?

In the north, I'd go for Pai. Small place 4 hrs from Chiang Mai. Just returned from a 2 week holiday there. Spent 3 months last year. Only problem is it can get a bit boring. Great people though.

Another up and coming place is Bang Saphang - 2 hours south of Hua Hin. "Like HH was 15 years ago". Reasonable prices and good infrastructure.

Definitely, Hua Hin. The beach got a recent 4 star rating - no beach in Thailand surveyed got 5. That surprised me, but good news, particularly with regard to water quality.

Why No five rating for any beach in Los? I remember in some internet

source that Phi Phi island was listed among top 10 resorts list.

I'd go for Chaing Mai, as has been said earlirer its got every thing but without the drawbacks of BKK, ie polution, traffic (well not so much anyway) . Its got more of a small town feel to it and you can be out into the countryside in no time.

As far as beach resorts i'd say Phuket, most of the other islands ars to small I feel to actually live on, nice to visit though

I'd go for Chaing Mai, as has been said earlirer its got every thing but without the drawbacks of BKK, ie polution, traffic (well not so much anyway) . Its got more of a small town feel to it and you can be out into the countryside in no time.

As far as beach resorts i'd say Phuket, most of the other islands ars to small I feel to actually live on, nice to visit though

Some questions for "Chiang mai" lovers:

1-Why everyone so sensetive about traffic, do you drive your own car? What

if not then?

2-How large is farang community?

3-What is annual tourist statstic? Pukhet is 3 millions, Kou samui is 800K.

4-How nightlife is like in CM?

5-Are realy Chiang mai Women more pretty than what you see in Bkk, as it

is siad by some?

6-Do Chiang mai woman are more conservative and trustworthy than other

places as i been told by some thai taxi drivers?

7-How much does it cost for cheapest fair by air from Bkk back to CM everytime?

Thanks

Some questions for "Chiang mai" lovers:

1-Why everyone so sensetive about traffic, do you drive your own car? What

if not then?

2-How large is farang community?

3-What is annual tourist statstic? Pukhet is 3 millions, Kou samui is 800K.

4-How nightlife is like in CM?

5-Are realy Chiang mai Women more pretty than what you see in Bkk, as it

is siad by some?

6-Do Chiang mai woman are more conservative and trustworthy than other

places as i been told by some thai taxi drivers?

7-How much does it cost for cheapest fair by air from Bkk back to CM everytime?

1-Can't speak for anyone else, but yes I drive, not really sensitive about trafic but no one likes to be stuck in a trafic jam for hours

2-Dont know, check out the chaing mai forum here there seem to be quite a lot up there

3-Do a search, try gogggle

4-A bit of everything, bars reasteraunts

5-Personel choice really

6- If a taxi driver told you it must be true :o

7- About 2000 return at the moment I think, not sure as I drive up, never seemed much point in driving 2 1/2 hrs to bkk to fly to chaing mai when I can drive there in 4 1/2 :D

Yala, Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla and Hat Yai are getting less pricey.

These beautiful spots are very underrated, there is enormous potential, specially for attracting the more adventurous travellers. There are charming seaside resorts where one can find tranquility and relaxation, communities with the infrastructure for the more discerning and businessoriented expats are to be found in Hat Yai and port cituies like Songklah.

> Some questions for "Chiang mai" lovers:

> 1-Why everyone so sensetive about traffic, do you drive

> your own car? What if not then?

I do yes. I'd say most Chiang Mai expats who are living there long time AND live outside the city (again I'd say that's a majority) own cars. If you live in town then public transport or a moped would do I suppose.

> 2-How large is farang community?

Well... Not only do I not know, I'm also uncomfortable with the word 'community' as I feel that expats up North are less inclined to shack up close together in all kinds of clubs or other ways of socializing. For sure there are expats who meet doing the things they enjoy doing, such as golf, bars, church, sports, NGO work, etc, etc. but it's hardly a homogenous group. Total numbers though I think are significant, but VERY spread out. I can't even think of a particular 'foreign residential area' in town. Of course all the housing estates have a fair share of foreigners living there because houses are relatively easy/cheap to find and rent there.

> 3-What is annual tourist statstic? Pukhet is 3 millions, Kou samui is 800K.

www.tat.or.th Seems to me mostly backpakers and older package tourers come to Chiang Mai compared to the seaside tourist resorts which get more of the in-between crowd.

> 4-How nightlife is like in CM?

Loads of Thai oriented nightlife. Plus some tourist bars, a couple of foreign oriented disco's and gogo bars (three :-) ) so hardly anything compared to Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket. Comparable to Hua Hin perhaps.

> 5-Are realy Chiang mai Women more pretty than what you see in Bkk,

> as it is said by some?

Well. Many foreigners seem to go for bargirls and among those, many are not from Chiang Mai but are for example from Isarn or hill tribe or from elsewhere. Foreigners with 'real' Chiang Mai girls seem to be a minority, though I'm one of them. :o (And no, real Chiang Mai girls aren't better in any way. And "Pretty" is in the eye of the beholder and on strict case-by-case basis)

> 6-Do Chiang mai woman are more conservative and trustworthy

> than other places as i been told by some thai taxi drivers?

Well, taxi drivers also think Americans are 40 times richer than Thais, Europeans 50 times and Brits 80 times as those are the current exchange rates. :D

So to answer the question: I don't think so. If anything, class/background is the deciding factor. There are some seriously poor/rural people living arounf Chiang Mai and the North and I doubt they're significantly different from poor/rural people up North East or elsewhere. Same for the middle/upper class. Chiang Mai does seem to have a middle class that's bigger than most other places, which is good. You see less really rich and really poor people. Again, just my perception and it could be wrong, I haven't researched it. :D

> 7-How much does it cost for cheapest fair by air from Bkk back to CM everytime?

www.airasia.com, nokair.com, thaiair.com

Mostly between 800 and 2200 baht one way, depending on when you book and when you fly.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Well, taxi drivers also think Americans are 40 times richer than Thais, Europeans 50 times and Brits 80 times as those are the current exchange rates. :D

So to answer the question: I don't think so.  If anything, class/background is the deciding factor. There are some seriously poor/rural people living arounf Chiang Mai and the North and I doubt they're significantly different from poor/rural people up North East or elsewhere.  Same for the middle/upper class.  Chiang Mai does seem to have a middle class that's bigger than most other places, which is good.  You see less really rich and really poor people.  Again, just my perception and it could be wrong, I haven't researched it. :D

Are you sure this is right answer for above question :o

> 1-Why everyone so sensetive about traffic, do you drive

> your own car? What if not then?

I do yes. I'd say most Chiang Mai expats who are living there long time AND live outside the city (again I'd say that's a majority) own cars.  If you live in town then public transport or a moped would do I suppose.

> 2-How large is farang community?

Well... Not only do I not know, I'm also uncomfortable with the word 'community' as I feel that expats up North are less inclined to shack up close together in all kinds of clubs or other ways of socializing.  For sure there are expats who meet doing the things they enjoy doing, such as golf, bars, church, sports, NGO work, etc, etc. but it's hardly a homogenous group.  Total numbers though I think are significant, but VERY spread out. I can't even think of a particular 'foreign residential area' in town. Of course all the housing estates have a fair share of foreigners living there because houses are relatively easy/cheap to find and rent there.

> 3-What is annual tourist statstic? Pukhet is 3 millions, Kou samui is 800K.

www.tat.or.th  Seems to me mostly backpakers and older package tourers come to Chiang Mai compared to the seaside tourist resorts which get more of the in-between crowd.

> 4-How nightlife is like in CM?

Loads of Thai oriented nightlife.  Plus some tourist bars, a couple of foreign oriented disco's and gogo bars (three :-) ) so hardly anything compared to Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket.  Comparable to Hua Hin perhaps.

> 5-Are realy Chiang mai Women more pretty than what you see in Bkk,

> as it is said by some?

Well. Many foreigners seem to go for bargirls and among those, many are not from Chiang Mai but are for example from Isarn or hill tribe or from elsewhere.    Foreigners with 'real' Chiang Mai girls seem to be a minority, though I'm one of them. :o  (And no, real Chiang Mai girls aren't better in any way.  And "Pretty" is in the eye of the beholder and on strict case-by-case basis)

So to answer the question: I don't think so.  If anything, class/background is the deciding factor. There are some seriously poor/rural people living arounf Chiang Mai and the North and I doubt they're significantly different from poor/rural people up North East or elsewhere.  Same for the middle/upper class.  Chiang Mai does seem to have a middle class that's bigger than most other places, which is good.  You see less really rich and really poor people.  Again, just my perception and it could be wrong, I haven't researched it. :D

> 7-How much does it cost for cheapest fair by air from Bkk back to CM everytime?

www.airasia.com, nokair.com, thaiair.com

Mostly between 800 and 2200 baht one way, depending on when you book and when you fly.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks to Chanchao and Ramdomchanced for giving some detailed reply

for chiang mai lovers.

Thanks & puming thread again, actually not much voters,

i am sure bangkok alone would have out numbered all distinations.

Or maybe not much visitor to other places compare to Bkk

My guess is, since majority expats (80%) in Los are around age 25-45,

prefer to live in Bkk, for Job reasons and more female partner choice,

and more things to do.

And other 20% older or retired generation prefer Island or smaller

city like enviroments for healtier living. Question is, are there many

young expats choose to live in these places and do they out number

older folks?

Do you agree?

Keep votes coming, thanks

Hua Hin, Bangkok only 3.5 hrs away.

Yes, it's getting more pricey, but where isn't in Thailand?

Only 40mins now, they fly from BKK to HH.

Since when? I did not know that.

See:

http://www.huahinairport.com/

Hua Hin has a large number of first time European tourists. Just check what they eat - steaks and fish and chips, no clue what they are surrounded with. In the Marriott last month they were 90% of the fully packed load.

Just watch hordes leaving all the hotels around 7pm for dinner out. It was rainy off-season.

I would like to live in some suburbs before Rayong. With the new airport it will be on the right side of it, easy stroll to Koh Samet and 30 mins to Pattaya.

If I manage to do that, BKK may never see me again.

and more things to do.

older folks?

Do you agree?

i am so sure see a lot of older guys here, more like 35-60! :D

i like my base in bkk, and travel from there for 2-3 week spells at various resorts in australia, vietnam, bali, shinoukville, kl, singapore, and some of the islands on your poll, phuket, samui, samet, hue hin, etc. :o

hey my laptop and mobile is my office and $$$$, but do like the asian region best.

:D

and more things to do.

older folks?

Do you agree?

i am so sure see a lot of older guys here, more like 35-60! :D

i like my base in bkk, and travel from there for 2-3 week spells at various resorts in australia, vietnam, bali, shinoukville, kl, singapore, and some of the islands on your poll, phuket, samui, samet, hue hin, etc. :o

hey my laptop and mobile is my office and $$$$, but do like the asian region best.

:D

Do you consider 35-45 yo to be old? That means i am old already

for your veiw?

Ok, would you share more about your Office and $$$ ? Are you a

daytrader?

Important criteria to look for is:

Healthy living, low cost of living, friendliness toward forigners,

business oppourtunities, good facilities/infrutrcture.

Quite fascinating, I personally could never live in BKK.

FRIENDLINESS TOWARD FORIEGNERS IS INTERSETING AND DESERVES ITS OWN POLL.

:o

Important criteria to look for is:

Healthy living, low cost of living, friendliness toward forigners,

business oppourtunities, good facilities/infrutrcture.

Quite fascinating, I personally could never live in BKK.

FRIENDLINESS TOWARD FORIEGNERS IS INTERSETING AND DESERVES ITS OWN POLL.

:o

Right, you can't live in Bkk, but do you consider why i did't

have Bkk in this Poll?

Because Bkk is going to outnumber all these distination pure

and simple. At least 70% expat in Thailand live in Bkk.

These beautiful spots are very underrated, there is enormous potential, specially for attracting the more adventurous travellers. There are charming seaside resorts where one can find tranquility and relaxation, communities with the infrastructure for the more discerning and businessoriented expats are to be found in Hat Yai and port cituies like Songklah.

As someone who's spent the last five years in Hat Yai I fully agree with your comments. However, our friend is interested in somewhere that attracts tourists and given the recent unrest in the south I can't see many of them returning here. At present Songkhla province is relatively unaffected but I wouldn't bank on this continuing. IMHO their are plenty of more attractive alternatives.

As someone who's spent the last five years in Hat Yai I fully agree with your comments. However, our friend is interested in somewhere that attracts tourists and given the recent unrest in the south I can't see many of them returning here. At present Songkhla province is relatively unaffected but I wouldn't bank on this continuing. IMHO their are plenty of more attractive alternatives.

Right, Thailand has some many beautifull places, but toursits don't go

there, simply because of less population and lack of infrustrature,..