Looking For A 'get-fit' Sport

simon43

I've turned over a new leaf and am trying to reduce my weight and get fitter. So out with the 2 beers a day and in with a little red wine etc etc (plus a well-balanced diet). I also cycle about 6km every day along Mai Khao beach.

I want to partake in some other physical activity. (Although it burns calories, sex is not really of huge interest - flying a kite also burns calories but gives me a sore hand!)

What sports can you suggest that I do? Probably need to be a solitary, non-team sports because there are few westerners in my location, (400 metres from the beach). What is a good fun and fat-burning sport/activity? (I don't think there are any gyms in this area either).

Right now, I get tired very quickly when jogging, although I recover rapidly after resting for a few minutes.

Swimming? Maybe. What about kite-surfing? They do this at NY beach. Does it burn a good level of calories??

Suggestions most welcome!

Simon

I've turned over a new leaf and am trying to reduce my weight and get fitter. So out with the 2 beers a day and in with a little red wine etc etc (plus a well-balanced diet). I also cycle about 6km every day along Mai Khao beach.

I want to partake in some other physical activity. (Although it burns calories, sex is not really of huge interest - flying a kite also burns calories but gives me a sore hand!)

What sports can you suggest that I do? Probably need to be a solitary, non-team sports because there are few westerners in my location, (400 metres from the beach). What is a good fun and fat-burning sport/activity? (I don't think there are any gyms in this area either).

Right now, I get tired very quickly when jogging, although I recover rapidly after resting for a few minutes.

Swimming? Maybe. What about kite-surfing? They do this at NY beach. Does it burn a good level of calories??

Suggestions most welcome!

Simon

Hi Simon,

stand up paddle surf boarding is becoming pretty popular. I know a guy here in Nai Hairn, that is 62 years old and looks ten years younger than that. In discussing the sport with him, he says paddling while in the stand up position is all ab work.

Definitely something I should take up............

http://www.eastcoastpaddlesurfing.com/shop...sp?type=Aboutus

For a lot of guys, they have no interest in kite flying and sex makes their hand sore. But anyway... :o

Congratulations on the effort. It's about quality of life and not how long you live. Whatever you do start slow and work your way up. Don't be to concerned if you are winded while jogging now, slow down and walk. You'll build stamina. This is assuming that you're not on the verge of a cardiac arrest now. As they say, check with your doctor before starting any excercise program.

For me. I have been doing some sort of martial art since the 70's. At 52 I don't pretend to compete with the young toughies now but the training is fun and great for your cardio, strength and coordination. Just get a heavy bag and go some rounds. Start slow, build stamina and lengthen your rounds. It's a nice way to get some exercise without thinking you are exercising. Just beating something is so good for the mind. :D Biking and walking are great ways to exercise too. Pick something you will enjoy and it becomes easy.

Choke dii!!!

Well, I never said I was going to stop jogging:) I just want to combine jogging and cycling with some other sport.

I used to do some training back in the UK with boxing/sparing. That certainly was both good fun and a great fitness-builder. It's a pity that there is no Muay Thai gym in these parts....

I will look at the possibilities down at NaiYang beach - there was a good wind today and the kite-surfers were having great fun. I'm not looking at a crash fitness program - more a regular and enjoyable sport that will build up and maintain my fitness levels.

Simon

Running is certainly a good way to stay in shape. If you tire too quickly, there is a program called "From Couch to 5K" or similar, just Google it. Kite surfing, whilst fun, is certainly not strenuous, as a kite-surfing instructor friend put it: "an 80-tear old grandma could kite surf" (as I run for cover before getting killed by the kite-surfers here) :o

why not go for longer bike rides? i used to do over 20k easily in no time at all. the roads in your area are relatively flat and not so busy, so i would probably aim for more than the 6km you are currently doing. make sure you are constantly pedalling, and when it gets too easy, crank it up a gear and make it a little harder on the legs.

that should be a good start. make sure you get a sweat up and you will feel great when you get home. the locals will think youre nuts, but if feels good.

Kitesurfing is definitely a good workout, but be ready for the costs to start adding up.  Lessons..... then a kite and board, harness, vest, helmet, another kite etc. 

If not stand up paddling, how about some canoeing there at Nai Yang. It is a good cardio and muscle workout.

Mountain bike riding also works if you can find some off road trails up.  Much better option than biking along side of concrete trucks, buses, and other large moving vehicles that love to push smaller ones off the road.

YOu have to get your cardio-vascular system pumping big time. The best way for me to do this is jogging or walking up steep hills as fast as i can.

I regulate my speed by my breathing. The goal is to not stop, yet pump the heart/lungs/legs hard.

I used to walk up the Big Buddha hill here every Sat. but haven't done it now for at least a month. Maybe i'll go out and do it today. Thanks for the reminder.

Other ideas: swimming, bicycling, volleyball, football, etc. (although the last 2 are not as steady as the 1st two. I think steady/long/hard is important)

Have you tried the Hash House Harriers? You don't have to be a fast jogger or even a jogger, some walk and still come in not far from the frontrunners. They meet every Sat. Google them if interested.

I still maintain that Kite-surfing is not a sport to get you fit. I do kite-surf and even when going hard I doubt that my pulse (good indicator of level of effort) goes anywhere near 100 bpm. Completely different picture with running: this morning I ran 18k with an average heart rate of 155 bpm; I know which sport I'd prefer to get fit (not that kite-surfing is not a whole lot of fun, of course).

For a safe and low budget workout, try doing a combination weight/aerobic workout at home...if you have a bench, barbell, dumbells and a set of stairs you have all the equipment you need. It does take a bit of determination to kick up a regular weight routine into an aerobic workout.I find blasting music I like helps keep me going...best of luck with whatever you choose...