Adsl Modem/router/access Point - Recommendations P

grahamb

Simple question: what ADSL modem/router/access point would you recommend?

A few months ago, people on here were recommending the SMC Barricade - is that recommendation still valid?

I'm looking for something that can connect the home PC but that can also do wifi to my laptop when needed. I've only got an 802.11b card in the laptop but I guess everything comes with 802.11g these days.

I'd like something with good wireless range - the idea of surfing from the balcony appeals to me :o

Pantip is the most convenient place for me to buy it so which store would you recommend in there?

Thanks for all your help folks!

Very happy with my SMC Barricade g. (It has a long-range b option, but I get signal throughout the whole house on the regular setting).

Shop around, prices on routers has fallen a lot lately and stores that don't have much turnover are still selling stock at high prices (Data IT was about 1,000 baht higher than what I ended paying, if I remember rightly).

Ditto - pretty happy with mine.

Only thing I've seen on other routers (Buffalo) that I haven't noticed on the SMC is a way of lowering the priority on one PC. (i.e. To reduce the priority of the machine running bittorrents so that it doesn't interfere with web browsing on the others...)

I see the SMC barricade has 2 antennas, are they removable?

I am wondering if you can use one as the inside antenna and then conncect some coax to the other and have an outside ( omni or directional antenna ) connected.

They don't appear to be - at least if they are they appear to need more force than I'm willing to apply on mine...

I think you need a Linksys, or a Buffalo. Access points I've had from them both take external antennas, either via a port (Buffalo), or by unscrewing the existing antenna (Linksys).

Linksys are available at Pantip, but I've had one die from power spikes (in the UK, not Thailand), so make sure it's on a surge suppressor and/or a UPS.

(Of course - I'm sure that if you were so inclined, you could open up an SMC and hook up any sort of antenna you want. - with a steady hand and a soldering iron, lots of things become possible...)

I'm happy with our D-Link DSL-G604T with 802.11b/g that we got at Pantip. Comparable to SMC barricade, but has only one antenna. Has all sorts of options I haven't tried. :o It does not have the print server support that some barricades have in the US.

I do not think we have had any problems with it in 6 months that were not actually due to something being wrong at True or CAT.

Stu,

A lot of access points can be connected to external antennas, lynksys and d-link come to mind in the budget range.

However if you want to hook up two antenna's, this will only be usefull if you plan to connect to the AP with only one connection at a time(like you only have one laptop or pda which you plan to use around the house/condo)

The access point will only use one of the two antennas, it will automatically use the antenna which gives the best connection. This means if two laptops have connection at the same time, one might lose connection when the AP chooses to use an antenna which is not in range/view to accomodate the strongest signal to the other laptop!

Also bear in mind, that even a short antenna cable will create a big signal loss due to the high frequencies involved (2.4Ghz) LMR100 will lose 1.3 dBm of power per meter length, and most access point only put out around 15dBm

Most stuff such as antenna's and cables can be had from the friendly people at bankokwireless