Indian Spices

Try China Town, Last time I went there I found everything I needed to Make Balti's. including all of the herbs and spices plus even the dishes.

there are loads of little indian shops in the back streets. a great place for shopping.

Can anyone help me where i can find Indian herbs and spices including such items as chick peas/atta flour/lentils. Please help as i need a curry fix.

Thanks Gary :o

There's a indian run minimart on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 12, not far from Asoke BTS station.

G

Sounds like you want to cook it at home; its quite easy to make your own curry.

Many Thai spices are the same as Indian, with the exception of a few like Thai cardamom vs. Indian green or white cardamom. You can pick spices up much cheaper at Thai local spice markets, if you know what to look for. There a few exotic items that you may only find at Indian markets, but i have found most of the exotic ones at Villa and such. I found Methi (fenugreek leaves) from Thai Soon spices.

You can Google for a list of ingredients for a basic Indian yellow curry... and others.

Note: If the recipe doesnt call for roasting the whole spices first before grinding, it probably isnt authentic. If you see ginger powder or garlic powder in a recipe, it may not be authentic either. Mustard oil is the "olive oil of the East" - it is very healthful, delightfully spicy, and is worth finding.

Many Indian recipes call for a curry paste, which require a mini-blender to puree fresh garlic, fresh or caramelized onion, maybe fresh ginger... along with the roasted and ground spices.

here is a nice Vindaloo curry paste:

Vindaloo Curry Paste

¾ c Vinegar

¾ c Chili Flakes (hottest)

½ c Mustard Oil

¼ c Cumin seeds

3 T Ginger paste or finely minced

2 T Coriander seeds

2 T Peppercorns, whole

2 T Mustard Powder

2 T Turmeric powder

1 T Cardamom pods

1 ts Cloves, whole

Preparation:

Pan-roast all pods and seeds separately. Combine and grind all dry spices and chili flakes to a fine powder, and then combine with the vinegar, ginger and oil. Fry on low heat in a non-stick skillet for 5-minutes.

---------------------------------

others..

South Indian Curry Powder:

½ ts Fenugreek seeds

½ ts Peppercorns

½ ts Coriander seeds

½ ts Cumin seeds

½ ts Paprika

2 ts Cayenne powder

½ ts Turmeric

½ ts Cardamom powder

Pan-roast fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, coriander, and cumin 1-minute. Grind in a spice mill to a powder. Mix in remaining ingredients.

Goan Sambhar Powder:

10 T Coriander seeds

2½ T Poppy seeds

2½ T Fennel seeds

1 T Fenugreek seeds

1 T Mustard seeds

1 T Peppercorns

½ T Cumin seeds

1½ T Cloves, whole

1 c Hot Red Chilies, dried, whole

1½ T Cinnamon powder

1 T White Cardamom

2½ T Turmeric powder

1 ts Nutmeg powder

1 Bay Leaf

½ ts Mace powder

Preparation:

Dry-roast or pan-roast the whole seeds until aromas are released. Grind the roasted seeds with remaining ingredients to a fine powder. Store in an airtight glass jar.

You can find a plethora of Garam Masala recipes on the web, the recipes I posted are the most authenic I have found and a bit hard to find in good form. Enjoy.

Authentic Indian food usually starts with a freshly made curry... the bottled stuff just doenst have the "brilliance" of a freshly roasted curry. You might also check out the Phaal curry I posted here...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Worse-Indian...es-t196500.html

if you like it HOT.

Edited by ChefHeat