Do Any Of You Block Out/ignore Any Contradictions With Buddhism?

uptou

Do any of you have any habits that cause you to pause & think to yourself,hey!,"i'm abit of a hypercrite their"?

I agree that even if you practice the buddhist philosophy loosely its going to benefit other people around you positively,but what about YOU personally?

Say for instance you eat factory farmed animals on a regular day to day basis.Isnt this the type of thing that stops you progressing spriritually in any way?A regular negative reminder that eats away at any progress you've made?

Quote Milan Kundera-"Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals. And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it."end quote.

Sort of double standards,even if your not likely to be judged too negatively by people for it,wont this sort of thing undermine your practice?

Can you really be a half hearted buddhist?

Do any of you have any habits that cause you to pause & think to yourself,hey!,"i'm abit of a hypercrite their"?

I agree that even if you practice the buddhist philosophy loosely its going to benefit other people around you positively,but what about YOU personally?

Say for instance you eat factory farmed animals on a regular day to day basis.Isnt this the type of thing that stops you progressing spriritually in any way?A regular negative reminder that eats away at any progress you've made?

Quote Milan Kundera-"Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals. And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it."end quote.

Sort of double standards,even if your not likely to be judged too negatively by people for it,wont this sort of thing undermine your practice?

Few of us are perfected persons and you don't have to be one to practice Buddhism. I find, that the reverse of the example you gave is true. The more spiritual aware I become, the less likely I am do do things that would harm other sentient beings. Being a better person dosen't really help my practice that nuch, but my practice does help me to be a better person.

"Do any of you have any habits that cause you to pause & think to yourself,hey!,"i'm abit of a hypercrite their"?

nothing to do with buddisem that, thats speaking without thinking no? and we all do that, cos we were brought up with it, dont be late, but ya mam an dad can be, dont smoke, but ya teachers can sit in a room full of it, crack round head for stealing some sweets, yet ya dads in white horse selling cases of stuff, dont go in ya next door naughbours garden, but they use our bin at night, dont steal a car but its ok to buy bits off one ya just stole, thousands of it, heard it all my life, sick of it, but i dont need to turn to any sort of religion to sort/ try not to do it, for me its try use common sense and understanding.

chris

ps its always nice to see someone who speels as good me! :o

I smoke, drink and swear. Apart from that pretty good. It's about striving. When we achieve we won't be posting on thai visa... Have a look at the Dhammapada - it's all about how to overcome, therefore implying we are obviously going to have faults. I just try to avoid harming other sentient beings.

What is a hypocrite? My understanding of the word is somebody who says one thing but does another, one thing about Buddhists is most of them don't mouth off about their faith or tell other people what to do, so it's hard to qualify as a hypocrite.

The biggest thing that takes me away from formal practice is my wife and child, the second is my job, these are not bad things at all but I need to learn to make the most of my situation and practice in my householder life, though sometimes it feels like I can't be a full hearted Buddhist.

As far as breaking rules are concerned, other than the obvious moral issues many are training rules and are not a black and white right or wrong thing. For example I might drink alcohol 2 or 3 times a year, I actually don't like it much so it's not a problem for me to do it on occasion but it could be a problem for somebody else so they are better of following the 5th precept strictly.

At the end of the day it's up to each individual to take responsibility for their actions and the results, there is no godly being keeping a scoresheet.

I stand by this comment that I have recently heard and agree with :

"Bend the truth to fit the faith or

"Bend the faith to fit the Truth"

A lot of religions seem to bend the truth to fit the faith, like the evangilists and what they say about Dinosaurs. They are not real Dinosaurs, they were just planted int he rocks by god to decieve everybody so they are not real fossils. That, i believe is bending the Truth to Fit the faith.

In Buddhism, we are taught to question and find the truth. We bend the faith to fit the truth, that’s Buddhism.It’s the point of finding it, it has always been non dogmatic (Definition: a belief or set of beliefs that a religion holds to be true) from the very beginning which is one of the reasons there has no been religious wars in Buddhism because that DOGMA is not there and that type of attitude is not there. The lack of Dogma, the lack of ideology of a Buddhist was more interested and focused on the process rather than the results.