Acetone + Xylene As Fuel Additives

Trevor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.brightgreen.us/lubedev/smartgas/ultra5.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good mixes given in OPTG (ounces per ten gallons):

1. diesel: 2-5 acetone.

2. gasoline: 3 xylene and 3 acetone

3. gasoline: 10 acetone and 10 xylene and 10 diesel fuel

Claims 3 to 6 MPG boost. I haven't tried. Don't know availability of xylene but acetone is a nail varnish remover; have to be careful of quality/additives though. Fuel quality is another important issue. In the UK, Tesco's is absolute crap, Texaco's is so-so, Total is the very best (Mazda 2, 1400 cc, feels like it has an extra 200 cc). Don't know if quality varies much in Thailand but it's huge in the UK.

Edited by Trevor

Claims 3 to 6 MPG boost. I haven't tried. Don't know availability of xylene but acetone is a nail varnish remover; have to be careful of quality/additives though. Fuel quality is another important issue. In the UK, Tesco's is absolute crap, Texaco's is so-so, Total is the very best (Mazda 2, 1400 cc, feels like it has an extra 200 cc). Don't know if quality varies much in Thailand but it's huge in the UK.

The claims are BS. Acetone will actually INCREASE your fuel consumption.

You have companies that try to sell you pills to put in your fuel tank in order to increase milage. Its all b*llocks.

Fuel Freedom International is one of these companies. They have managed to sucker my father-in-law to sell this stuff.

In the old days I would use a gallon of acetone with the petrol to cleanout the fuel system on cars if they where still drivable 'n' running rough. But if I wanted an octane boost I would use avgas!

The claims are BS. Acetone will actually INCREASE your fuel consumption.

You have companies that try to sell you pills to put in your fuel tank in order to increase milage. Its all b*llocks.

Fuel Freedom International is one of these companies. They have managed to sucker my father-in-law to sell this stuff.

A google search provides many links backing up the OP,s post ,but none giving a contrary view ,perhaps you can provide a link to back up your claim.

A google search provides many links backing up the OP,s post ,but none giving a contrary view ,perhaps you can provide a link to back up your claim.

Not going link chasing (I'd get the same result), but IIRC both the AA and the RAC have 'fuel additive' articles on their websites.

BUT

IF these additives really work reliably without buggering up your engine/fuel system why are the oil companies not adding them already. A 'Super-Premium' grade that reliably got 10% extra MPG at a 5% extra cost would sell like hot cakes, maybe.

I'm not putting anything other than fuel (and the occasional can of injector cleaner) in my fuel tank :o

Hmmm, perhaps these additives clean out the fuel system so you see a one-off improvement.

Edited by Crossy

Not going link chasing (I'd get the same result), but IIRC both the AA and the RAC have 'fuel additive' articles on their websites.

BUT

IF these additives really work reliably without buggering up your engine/fuel system why are the oil companies not adding them already. A 'Super-Premium' grade that reliably got 10% extra MPG at a 5% extra cost would sell like hot cakes, maybe.

I'm not putting anything other than fuel (and the occasional can of injector cleaner) in my fuel tank :D

Hmmm, perhaps these additives clean out the fuel system so you see a one-off improvement.

Because it's an oil company conspiracy. (Snicker). They want to sell more gasoline. There are about a million Internet hits regarding this subject. One thread went so far as to say that the oil companies added ethanol just to make the acetone ineffective. :o

• 2 years later...

Toluene is a great octane booster, good for extra performance from turbo cars, used it in my skyline many times.

Anyone know where to get Toulene in Thailand, and how much do you pay for it?

Edited by kubota

Toluene is only available for industrial use and the purchase and use of it is very closely scrutinised and controlled.

Why - because it's one of the main ingredients in the production of "speed" (no pun intended) aka amphetamines.

Toluene is only available for industrial use and the purchase and use of it is very closely scrutinised and controlled.

Why - because it's one of the main ingredients in the production of "speed" (no pun intended) aka amphetamines.

So it's suitable as a "human booster" as well. Thanks for the info, i guess it's stricktly controlled then. Anybody know where to buy octane booster?