True Broadband Service

Rover

wouldnt recommed gettin faster than the 1mbit, as they cannot provide speeds any faster than that  :o

BoomBoom, thanks for the reply, are you using True and is it working well? They claim to have a lot of customers on the line. I would like to make a decision on this by Friday. I will have two lines installed in two different buildings, and would like to get the ball rolling. I have had basic service from Loxinfo for 8 years, don't want to change but need broadband and True's deal is the best value around. But not sure about their service.

Any more comments would be appreciated, Rover

True is a mixed bag, and its service is very inconsistant. Sometimes you can get very good speeds and sometimes you don't get speeds at all. Right now, it seems like they've done something so that the previously horrible speeds during work hours have now become simply tolerable. However, I've also experienced many many many many interruptions of the international link. They're short, but they do affect my downloads tremendously. Before, the speed was bad, but at least there were no interruptions.

There are also many tales of True's general ineptness. Browse the forum and you'll see. A tip: If you give them a call and they tell you anything related to your bill, get the name and number of the person you're talking to, and what he said (I would say to record the conversation, but alas, it's not possible). Otherwise, they'll renege on what they said in an instant, and you'll end up being royally screwed.

Firefoxx is absolutely right - if you talk to anyone at True about anything important find out who promised you what before you hang up. They will flat out lie to get rid of you because odds are you'll be talking to someone else next time.

(reminds me of that movie with Dany Devito...they *######* you at the drive through, because they know you'll be miles away before you find out that you got *######ed*...)

My experience with True has been fairly random, but apart from employing a whole tribe of CITES-listed gibbons in their accounting department (who insist that 1 x 1 = 10), there is a gradual trend towards upwards in terms of speed.

I use the 1024 / 512 account and have found it reliable. They connected on the day they said they would. The Billion modem they supplied works well. Speeds are not at advertised rates, but are pretty good. Bit Torrenting can be extrememly slow and I suspect this is the speed complaint that people have. But it is good for browsing web sites, DL apps. Even if speed drops to 30-40% it is pretty good value money wise. I find DL speeds are fine other than Bit Torrent but then BT depends more on tweaking your settings, and maintaining a good share ratio than anything. I understand that the bottlenecks arise mostly because of too few international lines going abroad

I guess if you are comparing with services in Europe or the U. S. of Bush then it is a poor service, but it is a big advancement for Thailand.

Occasional service outages, especially the international links. Usually brief, but annoying if one is downloading something. Otherwise, service is adequate for my needs.

If you have questions about your bill, I suggest email or registered post instead of a phone call. That way at least you will have a paper trail. I've had no problems, however.

I could not imagine going back to my old dial-up connection. I consider True's broadband service a big step in the right direction for Thailand and believe that eventually they will probably get most of the glitches sorted out.

We also have True's 1024/512 service, opting for the largest outbound speed available for the cheapest price. I have seen full speeds in both directions to the US many times, but have also seen periods with as much useability as my GPRS cell phone and some periods with complete dropouts. I think most traffic problems are inbound to Thailand, because even at times when my downloads are suffering I have seen 50 KB/s upload to the US.

I also found bittorrent (BT) to be too slow. The other day, I ended up using it to fetch a 2.5 GB linux DVD to a friend's machine in the US and then directly transferring the file from there to here. That transfer seemed to stay between 50-100 KB/s while I was watching and completed overnight with no problems.

I think it makes sense that BT would be slow with the asymmetric link speeds. On the US machine's download, it was always serving about twice the bandwidth outbound as inbound... somewhere around 40 Mb/s outbound at the peak. But, with a max 50 KB/s uplink through True, I guess the best BT download speed here would hover around 25 KB/s?

Does anyone know on what continent the thaivisa server is located? The most annoying thing with True is when my local connection gets so bad that I cannot load pages directly. At that point, I can usually switch to using a compressed proxy via the US and get reasonable access again!

I am interested in getting a True phone line and the 2056/512 2.5Mps service.  Looking for comments from current users on the quality of the service, etc.  Thanks.....

Hi,

I recently (2 weeks ago) signed up for True and find their service pretty good. The installation process was quick and painless. Connection speeds for downloading are in the 40 to 55 Kbps range. Logging on takes only two seconds or so.

The first few days passed uneventfully but since one week I am being bombarded by trojans, PSW.Agent.BO and PWS.Hooker.Trojan. Every time I log on I receive 62 of these trojans and have to spend hours scanning and cleaning up, only to be reinfested again the next time. I shudder to think what would happen if I left my connection on all the time.

By contrast my old and trusted ksc connection is clean but slow. It seems that True

do not have any filtering system in place and I suspect that I will have to install a router or other type of physical hardware firewall because neither ZoneAlarm not Norton's "guards" are able to protect me.

Is anyone on this forum familiar with the installation of a router or other system?

Thanks...

Bahtbox, Thanks very much for your comments, I am filling out applications for two True lines in two locations this weekend, True will pick up the docs on Monday morning, BUT from what you said I would say forget it. I have had loxinfo for 7 years and have had a limited problem with junk mail, changed my base address once to clear the air and no problems since. Your news is alarming, will try to talk with True now 1045 Sat morning to understand more. Thanks again..........anyone else out there having similar experiences with True???????

I am interested in getting a True phone line and the 2056/512 2.5Mps service.  Looking for comments from current users on the quality of the service, etc.  Thanks.....

Hi,

I recently (2 weeks ago) signed up for True and find their service pretty good. The installation process was quick and painless. Connection speeds for downloading are in the 40 to 55 Kbps range. Logging on takes only two seconds or so.

The first few days passed uneventfully but since one week I am being bombarded by trojans, PSW.Agent.BO and PWS.Hooker.Trojan. Every time I log on I receive 62 of these trojans and have to spend hours scanning and cleaning up, only to be reinfested again the next time. I shudder to think what would happen if I left my connection on all the time.

By contrast my old and trusted ksc connection is clean but slow. It seems that True

do not have any filtering system in place and I suspect that I will have to install a router or other type of physical hardware firewall because neither ZoneAlarm not Norton's "guards" are able to protect me.

Is anyone on this forum familiar with the installation of a router or other system?

Thanks...

Whoops, I mean Sunday morning.................seems like Saturday.......

Bahtbox, Thanks very much for your comments, I am filling out applications for two True lines in two locations this weekend, True will pick up the docs on Monday morning, BUT from what you said I would say forget it.  I have had loxinfo for 7 years and have had a limited problem with junk mail, changed my base address once to clear the air and no problems since.  Your news is alarming, will try to talk with True now 1045 Sat morning to understand more.  Thanks again..........anyone else out there having similar experiences with True???????

Hi,

Thanks...

Hi,

Thanks...

Install a firewall and antivirus - and you'll stop getting infected.

Free ones I use are Zonealarm - http://www.zonelabs.com - not Pro (it's not free)

AVG Anti-virus - http://www.grisoft.com - Again be careful to select AVG free edition to avoid paying.

I must say I've found True's service pretty decent in the month I've had it so far - im on the 2.5mbit service, and with a bit of tweaking, managed to get close to advertised speeds alot of the time.

That is however, until recently - since Wednesday (10th), it's seemed like I've been on dial-up - I dont use stuff like bittorrent, mainly ftp internationally, and a few other bits and pieces.

I know it seems everyone has hit and miss storys with True, but has anyone else found it to be especially bad these last few days - As mentioned, I really am just talking about international traffic, not local as that seems fine.

Cheers, Rik.

I got myself one of the true-packages presently advertised, special deal til End of November for private use.

Applied Nov 9 and got the line opened Nov. 12, when I installed the true-modem at home, lower Sukhumvit - area in Bangkok.

Too early to judge but so far amazingly fast, having been used to 56 K dial - up.

5 MB-file downloaded in a whoosh. Actually can compete with the machines I use in the office going for 100 Mbps or so they say.

If you're scared of worms, just use the firewall supplied with winXP. It takes care of most worms. For trojans and malicious web sites, just don't use IE. It's got so many holes that you'd be constantly patching it. You don't have to have a router to protect yourself. Just know the threats and how to counter them.

I'm really surprised that one ISP will have lots of trojans while another won't. If you're getting these trojans every time you dial up and getting the same number, you're most likely running some kind of program (or triggering one) when you login.

Axel, Thanks for reporting in.........I am not sure what to do, had planned to apply for two lines this morning, Monday, have a bit of cold feet syndrome, but likely will just do it after one more round of discussion with True personnel............anymore comments out there?????????

I got myself one of the true-packages presently advertised, special deal til End of November for private use.

Applied Nov 9 and got the line opened Nov. 12, when I installed the true-modem at home, lower Sukhumvit - area in Bangkok.

Too early to judge but so far amazingly fast, having been used to 56 K dial - up.

5 MB-file downloaded in a whoosh. Actually can compete with the machines I use in the office going for 100 Mbps or so they say.

Hi,

Thanks...

Install a firewall and antivirus - and you'll stop getting infected.

Free ones I use are Zonealarm - http://www.zonelabs.com - not Pro (it's not free)

AVG Anti-virus - http://www.grisoft.com - Again be careful to select AVG free edition to avoid paying.

As I think I mentioned I use ZoneAlarm, but it has so far failed to protect me. I also use Norton Anti Virus which has also failed to protect. In addition I use AVG, SpyBouncer, SpyHunter, A Squared, Ad-Aware and SpyBot. Norton and AVG can find the Trojans but their "guarding" options are unable to stop the infestations in the first place. All use the latest updated "signature" files.

bahtbox

your viruses are probably coming from the inside rather than the outside. One of your programs is loading them up for you. Many discs sold in Thailand contain viruses, probably without the knowledge fo the disc compiler. WinAmp Thai plug in did this on a friends computer. For virus scan I use Trendpcillin at

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It is free and very effective. If you have an uncleanable, undeletable file be careful to follow the instructions very carefully - double click the virus for the instructions. Or you can note the file path and reboot into safe mode from where you will be able to delete it. You clearly have a back door trojan that is allowing stuff to come into your com.