Remembrance Day 11th November 2004

Kan Win

Theres also a smaller less visited War Cemetery across the river in Kanchanaburi(a 40B tuk tuk ride from the main cemeteries) which can make for a better place for reflection than the main cemeteries.

There is an old guy who is on the maintainance crew who has a few stories from the wartime era to tell.

Theres also a smaller less visited War Cemetery across the river in Kanchanaburi(a 40B tuk tuk ride from the main cemeteries) which can make for a better place for reflection than the main cemeteries.

There is an old guy who is on the maintainance crew who has a few stories from the wartime era to tell.

Correct :D

The first Photo that I posted is that place BTW. :o

large.jpg

The entrance

large.jpg

This is by the River Kwae Noi. If you walk down that path you Kan see the River :D

R.I.P. at All :D

The thing that hit me hard when I was there some years ago was that all the men who died were about my son's age at the time, in their early twenties. All that youth wasted.

And the chattering Japanese .......................self censored.

Lung Bing

There's a good TV commercial playing for Remembrance day here in Canada. It's for Bell and it has a young guy in his 20s placing a call on his cell phone while walking on a beach.

An old guy picks up the phone and the young guy says, "Grandpa".

"Oh hello Michael, how is France? Spending time in Paris with all the lovely ladies?"

The young guy answers, "yeah Paris was nice. But I'm in Dieppe now."

Cut to a shot of the Grandfather looking at a framed photo of two young men in soldiers uniforms, presumably him and a buddy.

"Grandpa, I just wanted to say thank you."

If you're not Canadian, you may not know the significance of Dieppe. The Dieppe raid occurred on Aug 19 1942. About 6000 troops, mostly Canadian under British command. It was considered a trial run for D-day. It was a total failure. 1000 dead, many more wounded and taken prisoner. Bad British planning, they say now.

Bad British planning, they say now.

Just like Galipoli, 30 yrs prior.

The Pommy Military have a lot to answer for during the last century.

Thinking of the surrender of Singapore too......

A lot of Aussies died at Galipoli too... :o

Bad British planning, they say now.

Just like Galipoli, 30 yrs prior.

The Pommy Military have a lot to answer for during the last century.

Thinking of the surrender of Singapore too......

On behalf of the British , I apologise.

Do I <deleted>.......get your facts straight! We were the first to stand up to the Nazi's.

So sorry.

Absolutely , just like we're blaming the yanks now. Life and war goes on , interesting how the Nations that went belly up are quick to point the finger though.

War is war and it will always occur until we are wiped out.

He said in a jovial kind of way........ :o

Rembrance to all that fell in war. In Australia, we are taught to remeber the allied soldiers who fell in combat. But, it is important not to forget the others, the brave Turks and Germans in WW1, the Germans in WW2 sure Hitler was not a nice guy but his troops fought bravely and were the best army the world had seen(grandfather was killed in Greece fighting the Germans) The Japanese in WW2, despite the treatment of POW'S they fought bravely and were more than willing to sacrifice thier lives in far away lands . My list could go on and on but my point is war has suffering on both sides and remembering should be about this and how stupid war, mostly WW1, was.

If you're not Canadian, you may not know the significance of Dieppe.  The Dieppe raid occurred on Aug 19 1942.  About 6000 troops, mostly Canadian under British command.  It was considered a trial run for D-day.  It was a total failure.  1000 dead, many more wounded and taken prisoner.  Bad British planning, they say now.

Mountbatten was the idiot that ordered the strike in defiance of the real army leaders, if what I've read over the years is true. He wanted to prove himself to be a 'real' military expert and thought Dieppe would make him look good, in spite of the real brains in our military saying it would be a catastrophe. 'Dickie' got his way (probably because he was royalty :o ) and the disaster unfurled before everyones' eyes. I remember him on The World at War (a series in the UK some years back) babbling about how it was a good raid and how 'we learned a lot of useful information'. Uh-huh!

If you're not Canadian, you may not know the significance of Dieppe.  The Dieppe raid occurred on Aug 19 1942.  About 6000 troops, mostly Canadian under British command.  It was considered a trial run for D-day.  It was a total failure.  1000 dead, many more wounded and taken prisoner.  Bad British planning, they say now.

Mountbatten was the idiot that ordered the strike in defiance of the real army leaders, if what I've read over the years is true. He wanted to prove himself to be a 'real' military expert and thought Dieppe would make him look good, in spite of the real brains in our military saying it would be a catastrophe. 'Dickie' got his way (probably because he was royalty :o ) and the disaster unfurled before everyones' eyes. I remember him on The World at War (a series in the UK some years back) babbling about how it was a good raid and how 'we learned a lot of useful information'. Uh-huh!

"The World at War" was a brilliant documentary series. I've never come across a record of war as exceptional as this one. I wish I could find the series here in Thailand...not a likely DVD set to be found in Patong.

"The World at War" was a brilliant documentary series. I've never come across a record of war as exceptional as this one. I wish I could find the series here in Thailand...not a likely DVD set to be found in Patong.

I have most of it from the internet :D and it IS available in the UK on DVD (my brother has a legit copy. Either you look for it on the web or ask me nicely. :D