Thai Versus Uk Schooling

gnpointer

I have a bit of a complicated question...

I have a nephew in Thailand, living in a small village in the North East [the nearest city is Udon about 70 km away]. He is two years old but already an orphan. His mother was Thai and his father was my brother, who was English like me.

My nephew is living with his Thai grandparents in their village, in a very loving environment surrounded by family and friends. This is (I think) the ideal situation at the moment.

I would like to gather some thoughts from the users of this forum as to how education in Thailand compares to that in the UK (or the "West" in general) and what would be best for my nephew in the future.

There is the possibility that my nephew could come to the UK at some point in his schooling - do people think that would be advantageous for him? If so, when would be the best time?

I am concerned that if my nephew comes to the West too early he will "miss out" on Thai culture and become distant from his maternal family. I feel that it may be easier for someone brought up in the West to adapt to Thai culture than the other way around - what do you people think?

I have other questions also, about health care, etc. but this message is a bit over-long already...

I would welcome your thoughts on these issues.

Thanks in anticipation,

Gareth.

arrrggghhh I just typed a big reply &my net connection got lsot, I hate BT!!!

Garath, welcome to the forum & I am sorry for the loss of your brother & his wife.

IMO, with adequate money a private thai education can be very very good but a thai state school education really is not. They teach in a manner no conductive to free thinking & stifle creativity.

A UK eucation for free in the UK is also a better option than thai state school (this is my own opinion based on coversations with my thai husband & friends with kids in both countries) but due to your nephews age & emotional needs this may be better left until secondary education, when he is older & also when the cost of private education in thailand becomes much greater.

How I would do it would be to either get him into a small local private or international school or enrole him in the local school but pay for extra private tution, esp in English so that he will be able to communicate & transtion into a UK school at a later date.

Anyway, I hope this has been helpful, I'm sure some of our othermums & dads will also comment but please feel free to post any other quesitons you may have.:o

One question I forgot to ask, does your nephew have British citizenship & UK passport? If not, look into getting it sorted now rather than later, he is entitled & just because his parents have passed away should not affect his rights.

This will be essential if you do decide at a later date to bring him to UK for schooling.

I have a nephew in Thailand, living in a small village in the North East [the nearest city is Udon about 70 km away]. He is two years old but already an orphan. His mother was Thai and his father was my brother, who was English like me.

My nephew is living with his Thai grandparents in their village, in a very loving environment surrounded by family and friends. This is (I think) the ideal situation at the moment.

I would like to gather some thoughts from the users of this forum as to how education in Thailand compares to that in the UK (or the "West" in general) and what would be best for my nephew in the future.

There is the possibility that my nephew could come to the UK at some point in his schooling - do people think that would be advantageous for him? If so, when would be the best time?

I am concerned that if my nephew comes to the West too early he will "miss out" on Thai culture and become distant from his maternal family. I feel that it may be easier for someone brought up in the West to adapt to Thai culture than the other way around - what do you people think?

I have other questions also, about health care, etc. but this message is a bit over-long already...

Thanks in anticipation,

Gareth.

Sorry for the loss of your brother and his wife.

For educational point of view your nephew would be better off going to a private school in Thailand than in govenmrnt school in UK. I live in UK and and know how bad the local schools are. (Sorry - I don't want to insult your country but I do believe that) Well it depends on your luck etc. but general level is well below European average for example. I for one have been dissapointed with my son's schools' educational offerings.

Private schools in Thailand give very good value for money, we have some friends who's kids go to an international school near Pattaya and I saw few weeks ago the IGCSE Maths book the boy is studying. Way more advanced than in standard UK state school, my other friend who's son just did the UK GCSEs told me.

One problem for you is to find a good reasonably priced private school near where your nephew's village is unless you go boarding.

On the other hand, despite not being very good an average UK school is better than average Thai govenment school. Saying that there are very good Thai government schools too, my wife's niece teaches in one school that has a good reputation but an average UK government schools win Thai ones I believe.

Without knowing family background, does he have cousins of his age in UK etc. it's difficult to offer much ideas to you. But naturally first thing is, as Boo said, to sort out the paperwork and get him his UK passport. Then when he is older you, he and grans could sit down and decide what would be best option for him. Maybe holidays in UK in few years time would be a soft landing for him to see his potential future home country?

Thanks in anticipation,

Gareth.

I think few people will disagree that there is a differance in the education standards in thailand between State and private schools. Its really all about budget. You know the old story about the reporter who visits a Thai state school to interview the english teacher? Throughout the interview the english teacher confines their answers to brief "yes" and "no" type answers. Towards the end of the interview, the reporter (now very sceptical about the teachers abilities), asks, ".... just how long have you being teaching english?". There is a pause, then the teacher looks at his watch and says, "10 o'clock.." !!!!

Both my kids spent their junior school years at the International school near Khao Yai - I wanted them as close to home as practical, while offering them the best education I could afford to give them. I am also a great believer that a childs' character, personality, values and culture are established & formed in their early years (up to around the age of 7 - 10years). Choosing to send them to boarding school right from the start (they came home for weekends) gave them the independance and self reliance they would need when they were sent off to high school - in the USA. It also gave them a primary education with English as a first language and a bunch of peers from different cultures (a lot of the kids at Khao Yai are from other countries).

Culture? - they are Thai through and through, but have had a lot of exposure to kids from other cultures.

My personal opinion: junior school spent at home/Thailand in the culture you want them to identify with and associate their values and beliefs with is best. As to weather that is a boarding school or not is very much a personal thing (I grew up in boarding schools and am a great believer in them - but I know some folk are not), but as I wanted them to experiance "the world" and to go to school overseas, this was a good balance - keeping them in a Thai enviroment/culture while young - to give them the oppurtunity to develope the skills (and language) they would need to succeed overseas.

In short: get the first 10 years right and they are set for life.

Nothing wrong with the Thai state health care system - it is by and large brilliant, and other than for a few high tech procedures, it offers everything that private and 1st world European and USA hospitals offer - at a fraction of the price they charge.

Edited by Maizefarmer

First of all, thank you to all who replied so far. It is interesting to hear the thoughts and opinions of others, especially those with more knowledge and experience of Thai life and customs. Thank you also for your condolences.

I must say that in my original post I made a mistake in my statement: "I feel that it may be easier for someone brought up in the West to adapt to Thai culture than the other way around". What I meant to type was that I feel it might be easier for someone brought up in Thailand to adapt to the West! It seems that Western culture (such as it is) is well known about in Thailand but we in the West know a lot less about life in rural Thailand for example. Not sure what others think...

My nephew does have a UK passport - this was one of the last things my brother and his wife sorted out before they passed away.

I am gathering from the responses here that the state education system in Thailand is not very well thought of but it is possible to gain a good education privately and that this would be fairly essential if my nephew were to attain a reasonable level of English language skill.

In terms of the education my nephew would get if he were to come to the UK for schooling, it would almost certainly be within the state education system.

I am imagining (possibly wrongly) that a good private education can be obtained in Thailand, outside of the "international school" sector, for a much lower sum of money than is possible in the UK. Thoughts?

IMO Schooling is not the only issue to be considered - I am trying to come to a decision as to where my nephew would be best raised so that he can have the best chance to relate well with both his Thai and UK families. Education is not the be all and end all in my opinion but an important factor, obviously.

I am hoping for a scenario where my nephew can have the best opportunity to decide for himself where he would like to live and work - be that in the West, in rural Thailand on the farm with his grandparents or in Bangkok or wherever...

I suppose in answer to the question "where do I think my nephew's future lies?" I would like him to be able to decide when he is old enough and for him to have access to as many options as possible. I feel that the ideal would be for him to be raised equally aware and appreciative of the cultures and history of both his families.

Is this realistic goal? And where would this be best achieved?

Thank you again for your responses so far - all of this is helpful in coming to terms with and understanding these issues.

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Let me first say sorry for the loss of your brother..

Funny this topic is coming up as i have been thinking exactly the same thing..me and my wife have just had a little boy and although he is no where near the age yet where it is a concern the fact i work and live in Thailand and would take some planning so it has been in my mind from the beginning..

IMHO i would say that a UK state education is probably better than a state thai one but not necesaairly for education purposes but more for the way he will turn out, it is okay if he is thai as at a state thai school they teach you the 'Thai way' which is what they should do, this is okay but the one thing that i have noticed from working more than living with Thai people is there is a massive massive gap in the way that they work, think and generally go about there business for me in almost a casual way, this is okay if you are 100% thai but if like my son half western then i just get the feeling that i will not understand him not language wise but i will not understand him as a person when he is older, i also doubt that many state educated thai people would be able to move over to UK and sustain and adapt to life and find a half decent job there but i would say that a UK state educated person(like myself) would find it easier to come to thailand and adapt.

So for the decision i have made for the future is it will be okay to be state or private educated in thailand learning the thai way providing that i am here and able to teach him and give him the western way but If it came to it that i had to go back to UK through lack of employemnt then 100% i would take the family back with me and school him there..

Hope this helps..good luck whatever you decide..

There are, in Thailand, some Thai schools which run a bi-lingual program. Some are good, some are not, but its always an option. That way the student remains more in contact with his own traditions, at much less cost than an international school here.

G

This is a very important point you are making Gareth

Education wise I have experienced both environments and in the North East location, private schooling is not to expensive in general, ( comparing it to the U.K. wages and cost of living.) and private tutors if needed for extra study, is similar.

Of the local 50-50 children i know out here, they all appear to be well educated and indeed go on to further education and university.

One delightful bit of news i got recently was concerning someone close who had left her son with his Grandma in the outbacks of Mahasarakam ( ex spelling )

I always thought he was at a disadvantage re the isolation and local school situation, but i found out he is just about to finish a successful 2 years at the city university and has a good future to look forward to.

I cannot begin to describe how much this meant to me, even though i only ever met him twice, plus i haven,t seen him for 12 years.

All credit to his close family environment and the love of everyone who have brought him up during this time.

I,d also like to pay respect and credit to his MaMa who has worked so hard over the years to provide funding and financial support for the family and her son and it made me feel on top of the world to learn of such a positive outcome.

They all must feel very proud and elated by it all, they proved me wrong in all my doubts and i,m delighted they did.

So please, do not forget to consider the point you make regarding his loving family environment and take it into account when making the very important decision you have to take.

I know I will not take it for granted, which incidently was based on my Western up bringing which i used in a very misguided way and in the future i will look at the Thai aspect also.

The very best of luck to you all for a happier future, while empathising with your sad loss of his parents / your family.

marshbags :o

Thanks in anticipation,

Gareth.

Edited by marshbags