Dog Safety

WHEN I VISITED THAILAND I LOVED IT & THOUGHT THIS IS THE PLACE FOR ME. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THAT BUT HAVE READ SO MANY HORRIBLE THINGS REGARDING DOGS BEING POISONED THAT IT IS SCARING ME OFF.

I HAVE 2 ADORABLE SMALL PEDIGREE DOGS & AM CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR WELFARE. MAYBE MOVING TO THAILAND WOULD NOT BE SUCH A GOOD IDEA FOR A DOG LOVER LIKE MYSELF. I AM AWARE THAT RABIES IS A MAJOR ISSUE IN THAILAND BUT I FIND IT HARD TO ACCEPT THAT THE "BHUDDIST NATURE" WOULD BE IN FAVOUR OF SUCH CRUELTY :o STRANGELY ENOUGH AT THE MOMENT I AM IN INDIA RIGHT NOW, GOA. I BROUGHT MY DOGS FROM SPAIN. MY ONLY FEAR HERE IS FROM THE POSSIBILITY OF ATTACK FROM STREET DOGS BUT I STICK VERY CLOSE TO HOME WITH THE DOGS & THEY ARE NEVER ALLOWED OUT UNLESS THEY ARE ON A LEAD & WITH ME.

I can’t see why you should think this. Unless your dogs are barking excessively or causing a problem I don’t see why anyone would bother them. Thais actually thrive on noise and seem to like nothing more than to fill the air with the sound of their own dogs barking or other noise. The only time I can imagine this happening is if you fell out with a Thai in a big way, but that’s fairly unlikely.

I can't see why you should think this. Unless your dogs are barking excessively or causing a problem I don't see why anyone would bother them. Thais actually thrive on noise and seem to like nothing more than to fill the air with the sound of their own dogs barking or other noise. The only time I can imagine this happening is if you fell out with a Thai in a big way, but that's fairly unlikely.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE, IT IS ENCOURAGING. MY CONCERN HAS ARISEN FROM THREADS ON THIS FORUM ACTUALLY. I AM SUPRISED TO HEAR THAT THAI'S ARE NOISY. MY IMPRESSION WAS THAT MOSTLY THEY ARE SERENE, UNOBTRUSIVE & GRACIOUS. I AM TRYING TO FIND A PEACEFUL, QUIET LIFESTYLE. DON'T TELL ME THAT IV'E GOT IT WRONG AGAIN !

I can't see why you should think this. Unless your dogs are barking excessively or causing a problem I don't see why anyone would bother them. Thais actually thrive on noise and seem to like nothing more than to fill the air with the sound of their own dogs barking or other noise. The only time I can imagine this happening is if you fell out with a Thai in a big way, but that's fairly unlikely.

I agree, keep on the right side of your neighbors, control your dogs so they are not a problem to anyone and avoid living in a muslim area.

Royale, I live in an area with a large Muslim population and my dogs have never been poisoned.

Dogs will get poisoned for a few reasons, one is someone poisons the dog prior to breaking in (according to stories here on Thai Visa, I have never experienced this personally or seen it where I live). Where I live the main reasons dogs get poisoned is due to aggressive behavior towards people on the part of the dog, a free roaming dog in a populated area that takes to chasing motorbikes, barking aggressively towards children or other adults could find itself poisoned. Or if the dog starts killing the neighbor's chickens or pigs. (or ducks).

Small pedigree dogs kept in the house? Highly unlikely.

Dog is more likely to become poisoned from eating garbage or drinking from soi puddles than a place where you know your neighbours. I think more dogs and kids probably get poisoned from exposure to pesticides and other gunk used around the house than wackos out to poison them. Besides, if you live in a farang enclave, the problem will be the one or two nasty farangs that don't like the sound of children, dogs or anyone having fun, not Thais. If you are good custodian, you wll be ok.

Where I live the main reasons dogs get poisoned is due to aggressive behavior towards people on the part of the dog, a free roaming dog in a populated area that takes to chasing motorbikes, barking aggressively towards children or other adults could find itself poisoned.

I would say that is probably the predominant reason it happens and have experienced it locally in Chiangmai. If the dog is well behaved, that is, not out on the roam and creating a nuisance it won't be a concern.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE, IT IS ENCOURAGING. MY CONCERN HAS ARISEN FROM THREADS ON THIS FORUM ACTUALLY. I AM SUPRISED TO HEAR THAT THAI'S ARE NOISY. MY IMPRESSION WAS THAT MOSTLY THEY ARE SERENE, UNOBTRUSIVE & GRACIOUS. I AM TRYING TO FIND A PEACEFUL, QUIET LIFESTYLE. DON'T TELL ME THAT IV'E GOT IT WRONG AGAIN !

I'm not entirely sure Thailand is the right place to find these conditions. Of course my experieince is limited to living in only a couple of places. The estate that I live on is probably considerably quiter than the norm. but I still think its a little louder than anywhere I have lived in the west. However I am surrounded by Thais. I'm sure that if you are very carefull when selecting a place to live you will find some where that suits. Just be very selective. Anyway I don't think you need to worry about the dogs.

Royale, I live in an area with a large Muslim population and my dogs have never been poisoned.

Dogs will get poisoned for a few reasons, one is someone poisons the dog prior to breaking in (according to stories here on Thai Visa, I have never experienced this personally or seen it where I live). Where I live the main reasons dogs get poisoned is due to aggressive behavior towards people on the part of the dog, a free roaming dog in a populated area that takes to chasing motorbikes, barking aggressively towards children or other adults could find itself poisoned. Or if the dog starts killing the neighbor's chickens or pigs. (or ducks).

Small pedigree dogs kept in the house? Highly unlikely.

I know several people who have had to move away from Kamala in Phuket due to dog's being poisoned by local Muslims, i said what i said based on what i've been told not something i've dreamed up. It was in no way meant to stir up hatred towards Muslims, just a warning of what goes on. :o

No, but I also know people who live in an area with no Muslims at all and dogs get poisoned there far more regularly than in my neighborhood. To subscribe it to Islam is misleading. It is a common tactic in Thailand for dealing with troublesome dogs, regardless of the religion of the poisoner.

No, but I also know people who live in an area with no Muslims at all and dogs get poisoned there far more regularly than in my neighborhood. To subscribe it to Islam is misleading. It is a common tactic in Thailand for dealing with troublesome dogs, regardless of the religion of the poisoner.

Whatever you say sbk, must be right. You're wasted on TV, you should be working as a Middle East Peace Envoy.

where i lived before some of the business owners would put out poison about once a month, or more if there were several new litters of puppies around. this was obviously to cull the population, funny that the one time of year when the animal care people would come to spay the dogs none of the business owners seemed so interested in helping out then. :o buddhist precepts my a**. the majority of the dogs (& cats) don't live very long there because they are all free ranging and so might sniff around the wrong bowl. the best way to avoid this with your dog is to keep it in a fenced in yard and make sure it is trained to eat from the bowls you set out for it.

Muslims hate dogs,this has nothing to do with racism its a fact of life.
i know that muslims think dogs are unclean,thats why they kill them.

ALL Muslims hate dogs and think dogs are unclean? And thus they kill the dogs ....

Wow, that's a huge generalization! Yikes! :o

i lived in the same muslim village too and my neighbors found my dog in the street when she was a wee pup. they were leaving and so they brought her to me to take care of. it didn't even occur to me until months later that my muslim landlords might not appreciate my having a dog in the house i was renting from them, but they were very cool about it. there were no poisonings in the time i lived there, and there were quite a few dogs around.

WHEN I VISITED THAILAND I LOVED IT & THOUGHT THIS IS THE PLACE FOR ME. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THAT BUT HAVE READ SO MANY HORRIBLE THINGS REGARDING DOGS BEING POISONED THAT IT IS SCARING ME OFF.

I HAVE 2 ADORABLE SMALL PEDIGREE DOGS & AM CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR WELFARE. MAYBE MOVING TO THAILAND WOULD NOT BE SUCH A GOOD IDEA FOR A DOG LOVER LIKE MYSELF. I AM AWARE THAT RABIES IS A MAJOR ISSUE IN THAILAND BUT I FIND IT HARD TO ACCEPT THAT THE "BHUDDIST NATURE" WOULD BE IN FAVOUR OF SUCH CRUELTY :o STRANGELY ENOUGH AT THE MOMENT I AM IN INDIA RIGHT NOW, GOA. I BROUGHT MY DOGS FROM SPAIN. MY ONLY FEAR HERE IS FROM THE POSSIBILITY OF ATTACK FROM STREET DOGS BUT I STICK VERY CLOSE TO HOME WITH THE DOGS & THEY ARE NEVER ALLOWED OUT UNLESS THEY ARE ON A LEAD & WITH ME.

is it safe to take my earplugs out yet???????????

Hi,

Sory to say they still eat dogs in certain parts of thailand.

I was on Samui a few years back and witnessed a thai guy putting poision into meat and then putting it down for a half dozen stray dogs on the beach to eat, a sickening experience.

When I asked the thai guy how he reconciled his Buddhist beliefs with poisioning these dogs the guy was alarmed for a minute then e smiled and said, I understand your mistake, I not poison dogs, they choose to eat the poison.........

I dont know what you are execting life in LOS to be, but dont let buddism cloud oyur judgement, those monks are just guys in a orange robe, respect has to be earned and dont forget it please.

ROy gsd

sbk you dont have to touch a dog to murder it,and i know that muslims think dogs are unclean,thats why they kill them.

Poshthai, there's no point in arguing, you'll be accused of bickering next and she'll just delete your posts, you must learn to follow the gospel according to SBK.She has spoken!

It will depend where you are mainly, but we are dog lovers ( well me and my daughter anyway ) and decided against ownership in thailand, the main reason is bullying by other dogs when walking a dog on a lead,its horrible and we have witnessed it many times,if your dogs are well behaved i doubt you will have neighbor issues, however if poison is down for others and yours are off the lead problems can arise,.also a friend of mine lost his dog horribly when he walked it on a grasssy area that had been treated chemically for snakes,..its a big decision, we have guinea pig instead! so far so good :D