Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

CB,

Poor defence by Celtic early on but what's new. Ross County made full use by going ahead with a terrific stike in off the underside of the bar. Celtic then began to dominate as they did for nearly all the game. Boerrighter making his debut was involved . He had a headed chance but it was a poor effort. Later he was put through but from a tight angle Mark Brown made a comfortable save. Our ex goalie had a very impressive game reminding us of his heroics in Moscow in a CL qualifier some years ago. Stokes was his inconsistent self failing to pull the trigger when well placed by laying off a dreadful pass to Ledley.

Celtic eventually got on terms with a scrappy goal due mainly to poor defence by Ross County. Instead of clearing Carey tried to control the ball in the area. Under pressure he gave it Ledley who hit Lustig. The Swede prodded across goal and the ball hit the inside of the post. Stokes alert to the situation had a tap in. Hardly goal of the season but they all count. Shortly after Stokes beat the off side trap and squared th ball to Boerrighter but under pressure from two defenders was unable to connect. He was injured in this incident and had to retire a few minutes later. He looked very unhappy with life as he sat on the bench. Watt replaced him and Celtic continued to dominate but too often a bad pass or poor centre stopped them for creating anything.

Celtic continued to press in the 2nd half but Ross County always seem to have plenty of bodies back to avert danger and Brown was also foiling his former colleagues. Commons hit the crossbar when he probably should have scored..Stokes should have got a penalty when he was "eased" off the ball in the area. RC had a rare moment of danger from a free kick which had Forster scrambling as it just cleared the bar. Finally Stokes turned 2 defenders and fired a low shot inside the post for the winner with 6 minutes to go.

So a win for the champions to begin but on this evidence we will struggle to convert our play into goals and chances. Stokes can be a Jekell and Hyde character and there is no question Hooper will be badly missed.

A nervy night in Sweden awaits regarding which I sent you a pm CB.

Elfsborg 0 Celtic 0 (Celtic win 1-0 on aggregate)

Celtic made it to the last qualifying round with the above result. The plastic pitch did not help but it was a dreadful game and Celtic were poor to say the least. As in the first leg Bangura gave the Celtic back four plenty of trouble. Samaras had a very poor header over the top early on when he should have done much better. In general Celtic kept giving the ball away and seemed incapable of any effective teamwork apart from one or two isolated cases.

The camera shots of the Celtic bench revealed extreme tension which was like having to watch. The last quarter was nerve racking with Celtic incapable of holding possession and continually putting themselves under pressure. It was maddening watching at times. In the end they survived and got through. You have to feel qualifying would be about the limit of their ambitions this season.

I'm glad I didn't stay out for that game Salty old son as you paint a dull picture!

But a result is a result. Now what's next? Who will we get? When's the draw?

Great to meet up after all these years. Let's do it again soon. Cheers.

The final Qualifying round draw on Friday.

Champions

The 10 winners from the third qualifying round for champions play in the play-off round for champions.

Seeded teams Unseeded teams

It would seem we will be drawn against one of the unseeded 5. I would prefer personally to avoid Vienna and get one of the other 4. No matter who we get I would expect 2 more nights of tension. So a bit of study on the last 3 would not go astray before Friday as well as pronounciation.rolleyes.gif

Yes the meeting of great minds was very enjoyable rolleyes.gif and hopefully early next year again.

• Like 1

Our opponents in the final quaifying round will be Shakter Karagandy of Kazakhstan with the first leg over there. It is likely due to location game time will be at a more favourable time for viewing in this part of the world.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/champions-league-draw-celtic-v-shakhter-karagandy-1-3038179

Edited by salty

Morpheus enjoys the company of my 3 mini CB's and myself I'm afraid Salty old son.

10pm has seen bedtime come and go, but I shall log on first thing the following morning for your detailed account of the goings-on. I am sure it will be a fine result. No panic.

A 2-0 win for Celtic at Pittrodie. It was a very average game with few highlights. The cruical moment came just before half time. Mulgrew put Samaras away he held off the challenge from the full back took it round Langfield who brought him down. Penalty for Celtic and red card for Langfield. Commons converted. Celtic had most of the possession but had rarely threatened.

The 10 men were close to a equaliser early in the 2nd half when McGinn had a close range header from a Hayes cross but it was straight at Forster who made a good block. From then on Celtic with the extra man dominated. Brown on 2 occassions should have done better. Forrest clinched it with a few minutes to go when he clipped it over the goalie aided by a slight deflection from a tight angle. van Djik came on in the closing stages and looked comfortable with high balls which he headed powerfully away.

Dear Bhoys Is the Shaktar game on live tonight on Thai TV? I have just been looking at my True CHannel 101 (TSP1) programme guide and at 22:00 it says "UCL 2013/14" from 22:00 to 00:00. THat is when the famous Glasgow Celtic kick off tonight in Sharagandy, 16:00h Paradise time... anything else kicking off at the same time? This looks very promising.......looks like I might have ti keep my True subscription for this month!!

Does channel 61 mean anything ? It has been listed as being on C61 here in HK .

I just checked the UEFA site and nothing else is starting at the same time so I am taking it that I shall be able to watch the Hoops live as you will be doing in HK on Ch 61! Life is good but I reckon this is gonna be a hard one tonight. I reckon Shakter will play out of their skins, this is their big moment.......

It is on TSP 1 at 10 pm, just spotted it in the Bangkok Post sport pages.

Fingers crossed for a result.

Here's hoping CB, a tricky one. Thanks for the confirmation. CHok dee!

Celtic's hopes of making the Champions League suffered a big setback when they lost 2-0 away to Shaktar. This despite having far more possession and attempts on goal made for a frustrating night for the Bhoys.

Celtic were nearly ahead on 2 occassions from corners early on, the first headed off the line and the goalie clawing the 2nd one away. Shartar won a throw in a few minutes later and a long throw in caused panic in the Celtic defence. Another long throw cleared 2 Celtic defenders and Finonchenko was able to score from close range with Ledley and Izaguirre looking at one another. Celtic continued to have most of the play and Commons was very close with a rocket that came back off the bar. Samaras headed wide under strong pressure. Shaktar have a lot of big men in their side and they were well capable of putting themselves about and were dangerous on the break.

Celtic continued to press in the 2nd half. Izaguirre had a chance but blazed well over the top. He lost possession on a few occassions in good position. Forrest had a close range header but put it too near the keeper who was able to get down and save. Shaktar had looked dangerous on the counter and made it 2 in the 77th minute. The initial situation arose due to a very poor header by Muoyokolo into no mans land and after one attempt was blocked a second shot fell kindly for Shaktar for a close range header to score. Celtic were unable to make any inroads in the last 15 minutes.

Celtic did not enjoy much fortune but are now skating on very thin ice. An away goal at Parkhead does not bear thinking about. They are capable of turning it around but Shaktar will limit the chances and like tonight will be dangerous on the counter attack. We can but hope for a top performance as it now desperately needed.

Thanks Salty Celtic were awful and never looked like scoring. The central defence looks porous and man on man Muoyokolo looked very vulnerable and nervous; I reckon he's going to give away a lot of penalties. It is entirely possible to overcome the 2-0 deficit in Glasgow but it will be much more difficult and the 'tic will be hitting themselves because a half decent side would be sitting pretty in this tie. Shakter were at best workmanlike.

Good find Salty old son. Agree that the player ratings are interesting, but the comments

from fellow fans after the piece are far more juicy. Some fine points raised.

I reckon we'll get the result we need at Paradise. Celtic at home will beat these Asians!