Hua Hin Rainy Season

curryfreak

I am spending my first monsoon in Goa, quite an experience. I dont mind heat so much but hate humidity. I know that Thailand is hot & humid. I was in Bangkok earlier in the year. Here in Goa April humidity was unpleasant, May, June, July humidity 100 percent & loathsome. Now August much cooler but wet,wet,wet ! Oh boy is it wet, torrential. Smelly mildew on my clothes, ankle deep dirty, muddy water & no pavements. Power cut's galore & virtually everything is closed. Well I said I could do it when I wrote for the job :D Of course the up side is that most people speak English, it's very safe & the winters are great.

I really would be interested to know how this compares to rainy, off season in Thailand. I wont be doing another one in Goa for sure! :D I have heard that Hua Hin is the driest part of the country & sounds over all like the place for me. Any comments ? :o

I am spending my first monsoon in Goa, quite an experience. I dont mind heat so much but hate humidity. I know that Thailand is hot & humid. I was in Bangkok earlier in the year. Here in Goa April humidity was unpleasant, May, June, July humidity 100 percent & loathsome. Now August much cooler but wet,wet,wet ! Oh boy is it wet, torrential. Smelly mildew on my clothes, ankle deep dirty, muddy water & no pavements. Power cut's galore & virtually everything is closed. Well I said I could do it when I wrote for the job :D Of course the up side is that most people speak English, it's very safe & the winters are great.

I really would be interested to know how this compares to rainy, off season in Thailand. I wont be doing another one in Goa for sure! :D I have heard that Hua Hin is the driest part of the country & sounds over all like the place for me. Any comments ? :o

Hua Hin can have torrential rains between April and November but they are usually short (two or three hours), then it passes and the sun comes back out. I've been here for four rainy seasons and I don't remember any rain that was extended for days like in other places. After the rain (like today, we had a gully washer!) it is very humid for several hours but overall I think it is better than where you are. I have a hard time with both the heat and humidity here but I seem to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Some flooding during very heavy rains but most of the streets in and around Hua Hin are paved so it is not a big problem unless your home is in a low area prone to standing water.

Some flooding during very heavy rains but most of the streets in and around Hua Hin are paved so it is not a big problem unless your home is in a low area prone to standing water.

How could there be any flooding, the whole place is 2m above the sea level, right on the sea?

Pretty much like Pattaya floods.

Poor infrastructure, that is it.

Weren't there torrential rains two years ago that lasted for 4 straight days? The worst in 40 years?

That's what all my friends with leaking roofs told me.

That was a 'tropical depression' that sat over the Hua-Hin area for some 4/5 days and boy did it rain. Other than that, I haven't seen heavy continuous rain that lasted more than an hour or so in the 20 months that I have lived in HH.

The main road in the town at its lowest point has flooded a few times though and I understand that the local authorities are trying to clean out the klongs that have been left blocked.