Wife And Sons British Settlement Visa

my wife and son both have right to remain oermanantly in the u.k but for the last three years we have lived in thailand .now my son is going on holiday with his friends familly to the uk ,does he need any paperwork as ,after two years you lose your right of settlement ,or will the fact he lives with me ,a brit in thailand be enough.he also has a step sister in britain,my elder daughter.

any help appreciated

Whichever way you play it, if your step-son has spent more than 2 years outside of the UK, he will require a visa. It's simply a matter of which one: visit or returning resident.

He can apply for a returning resident visa at the British embassy in Bangkok and you can plead your case that he's maintained close ties to the UK, but I think it's going to take a lot more than simply having a British step-father. Indeed, one of the criteria of a returning resident visa is that the applicant will be returning to the UK to settle, which is evidently not the case here.

I'd save the £205.00 application fee and apply instead for a visit visa.

Scouse.

Whichever way you play it, if your step-son has spent more than 2 years outside of the UK, he will require a visa. It's simply a matter of which one: visit or returning resident.

He can apply for a returning resident visa at the British embassy in Bangkok and you can plead your case that he's maintained close ties to the UK, but I think it's going to take a lot more than simply having a British step-father. Indeed, one of the criteria of a returning resident visa is that the applicant will be returning to the UK to settle, which is evidently not the case here.

I'd save the £205.00 application fee and apply instead for a visit visa.

Scouse.

thanks for that ,he is only going for a month as we do not intend to return to live.

one other question, when we all return for a holiday soon together will my wife and stepson have to get a new visa? even though we went on holiday last year with no problem. that was just under 2 years. thanks for the input.

If you've been in the UK within the last 2 years and your wife and step-son were then admitted as returning residents, their ILR will still be valid as they won't have been outside of the UK for more than 2 years. However, I would caution you that those who seek to enter as returning residents should be intending to settle in the UK.

Scouse.

If you've been in the UK within the last 2 years and your wife and step-son were then admitted as returning residents, their ILR will still be valid as they won't have been outside of the UK for more than 2 years. However, I would caution you that those who seek to enter as returning residents should be intending to settle in the UK.

Scouse.

thanks for the input,i will just arrange for visit visas as we have no intention of living in the uk in the forseable future,just holidays.