Bangkok Kitchen Item

griser

Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase a decent size OVEN here in bangkok?

Most of the better foods from the US are baked and I miss eating them a LOT. hehe

I know that the hardware stores have them but they are VERY expensive. Anyone have a suggestion?

Greg

In the state they have small ovens used mostly for making toast and they're called "toaster ovens". I've seen this kind of thing around for sale...some of them are big enough to bake a cake or a roast. Some people have said that a good one will bake reasonably well...but I have no experience with this. Up here in Chiangrai if you buy a complete stove (oven plus cook top surface) it is cheaper than buying just an oven and electric is cheaper than gas...but I don't remember the prices. Not much help but I'm a bit bored this evening and too tired to do anything else.

I assume you are talking about the Home Pro type stores when you say expensive. You can buy gas stoves with oven for about 5,000 baht from places like Lotus which can be used to bake. Some of the new/large toaster type ovens might also be usable.

I don't find any need for baked myself and wife cooks mostly western food. It might be nice for a roast of beef but as I would be the only one eating it, and wife will not allow me to eat the same thing twice, it would not be cost effective. :o

I've got a basic gas stove, bought it up here in Macro for about 4000 bht about 3 years ago. Its fine you can do a roast in it, the misses even bakes bread. The temperature is'nt very controlable though and no thermostat so it either ####### hot or not :o no in between

I think "Cheap and nasty" is the best way to describe them.

Not good for serious baking.

I've got a basic gas stove, bought it up here in Macro for about 4000 bht about 3 years ago. Its fine you can do a roast in it, the misses even bakes bread. The temperature is'nt very controlable though and no thermostat so it either ####### hot or not :o no in between

I think "Cheap and nasty" is the best way to describe them.

Not good for serious baking.

Well cheap, it's never been nasty, its a polite well behaved oven.

Done loads of roasts, the misses makes bread, home made pizza, what more do you want, whats the old saying "a bad workman always blames his tools"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Follow-up: Just checked three units with three burners each and oven at Carrefour and price was 5300 to 7800. Of course they did not have them after an hour of delay so went to Home Pro and ordered a local Lucky Flame of the same type at 6900 which seemed to be better built and possibility more able to withstand the maid. Imported good units were in the 28-38,000 baht range for those that do their own cooking. But Home Pro very much into drop in units so that is what they have a good selection of.