Who Was The Best?

Ulysses G.

Besides which the Rolling Stones rule - true rock and rock not plastic pop like the Beatles

CB

We are not allowed to question a moderator's moderation, but we should be allowed to point out questionable taste.

The Beatles are undoubtedly the greatest rock band of all time and always were on the side of LOVE, however, there is no doubt that The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin would have to be number two even though both bands sold their souls to Satan. :o

You can not compare the two as they played completely different styles of music, but they were both brilliant in their own way. You can still hear there original music played where ever you go in the world and will for many years to come.

Cheers, Rick

Lennon and McCartney were the greatest composers of the 20th century. Their songs are more covered by other artists than any other composers in history. The Stones are the greatest rock band of all time, 45 years of touring, and still one of the biggest moneymakers in music.

Growing up in the 60's, I loved the Beatles. When Mick Taylor joined the Stones, they became my favorite band.

In America, what we refer to as the first wave of the British invasion changed rock music forever: the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, the Yardbirds and the Kinks. I like them all.

Who "was" the best? Aren't The Rolling Stones still alive and touring well?

I always enjoyed both as both filled my needs at different times depending on the music I wanted to hear at that given moment. The Beatles definitely had the lyrics (I thought) over The Stones with the great writing performances of Lennon and McCartney. But The Stones were much surer to 'pound' out their music and provided more of a stage show. It's sad that Michael Jackson owns most of the songs the Beatles put out (at least the good ones.)

Summary for me: Too difficult to choose one.

Apples and oranges comparison. Stones (one of the best if not the best) are a rock band, Beatles were a mostly pop band that did the occasional rock or blues (cover) tune. Love'em both, but the Stones do rock.

I object!

There are lots of styles of rock music. The Stones generally played harder rock than the Beatles, but both were rock and roll bands and both did ballads as well as hard core rock and roll.

"Helter Skelter" and "Why Don't We Do It In the Road"? are pretty down and dirty and neither are cover tunes! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

Rock music is a genre of popular music with a prominent vocal melody, accompanied by electric guitar, bass guitar, and drums. Many styles of rock music also use keyboard instruments such as organ, piano, mellotron, and synthesizers. Other instruments sometimes utilized in rock include saxophone, harmonica, violin, flute, French horn, banjo, melodica, and timpani. Also, less common stringed instruments such as mandolin and sitar are used. Rock music usually has a strong back beat, and often revolves around the guitar, either solid electric, hollow electric, or acoustic.

Rock music has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll and rockabilly, which evolved from blues, country music and other influences. According to Allmusic, "In its purest form, Rock & Roll has three chords, a strong, insistent back beat, and a catchy melody. Early rock & roll drew from a variety of sources, primarily blues, R&B, and country, but also gospel, traditional pop, jazz, and folk. All of these influences combined in a simple, blues-based song structure that was fast, danceable, and catchy."[1]

In the late 1960s, rock music was blended with folk music to create folk rock, blues to create blues-rock and with jazz, to create jazz-rock fusion, and without a time signature to create psychedelic rock. In the 1970s, rock incorporated influences from soul, funk, and latin music. Also in the 1970s, rock developed a number of subgenres, such as soft rock, heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock, and punk rock. Rock subgenres that emerged in the 1980s included New Wave, hardcore punk and alternative rock. In the 1990s, rock subgenres included grunge, Britpop, indie rock, and nu metal.

A group of musicians specializing in rock music is called a rock band or rock group. Many rock groups consist of a guitarist, lead singer, bass guitarist, and a drummer, forming a quartet. Some groups omit one or more of these roles and/or utilize a lead singer who plays an instrument while singing, sometimes forming a trio or duo; others include additional musicians such as one or two rhythm guitarists and/or a keyboardist. More rarely, groups also utilize stringed instruments such as violins or cellos, and/or horns like saxophones, trumpets or trombones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

Since we're bring out the 'ye ole Wiki' books:

(Does this make both bands, pop music?)

"Pop music will have a noticeable rhythmic element, catchy melodies and hooks, a mainstream style and traditional structure. However pop can also just be music charted by the number or sales, plays, etc., that the work receives.

In opposition to music that may require education or formation to fully appreciate, a defining characteristic of pop music is that anyone is able to enjoy it. Artistic concepts such as musical form and aesthetics are not a concern in the writing of pop songs, the primary objectives being audience enjoyment and commercial success.[1]

Although pop music is usually produced with a desire to sell records and do well in the charts, it does not necessitate wide acclaim or commercial success: there are bad or failed pop songs.[2]

Initially the term was an abbreviation of, and synonymous with, popular music, but evolved around the 1950s to describe a specific musical category.[3]"

Considering the Stones are still going strong...

How long has it been since you played a new Stones CD over and over again? They still play concerts of mostly old tunes, but who wants to hear new songs? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The one that you posted above:

"Pop music will have a noticeable rhythmic element, catchy melodies and hooks, a mainstream style and traditional structure. However pop can also just be music charted by the number or sales, plays, etc., that the work receives.

In opposition to music that may require education or formation to fully appreciate, a defining characteristic of pop music is that anyone is able to enjoy it. Artistic concepts such as musical form and aesthetics are not a concern in the writing of pop songs, the primary objectives being audience enjoyment and commercial success.[1]

Although pop music is usually produced with a desire to sell records and do well in the charts, it does not necessitate wide acclaim or commercial success: there are bad or failed pop songs.[2]

Initially the term was an abbreviation of, and synonymous with, popular music, but evolved around the 1950s to describe a specific musical category.[3]"

I'm not sure where this came from, but I'm going to opinionate anyway.

After so much time, in retrospect, I'd have to say the Stones were the best R&R band to come out of that era. The Beatles were a different story, and it's difficult to say one was better then the other. Oasis and The Zep?

What happened to Bob Dylan? Only bands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

Since we're bring out the 'ye ole Wiki' books:

(Does this make both bands, pop music?)

According to your definition: yes. :o

More specific, "my" definition? It is the definition straight from Wikipedia which is the same place you got "your" definition for 'Rock' music. Oh I see, we can only play with your ball today... :D

So since it's only your ball we can play with then Wikipedia's write up of the Beatles saying that they were a 'Pop' group doesn't amount for anything? Hmmmmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatles

"The Beatles were a pop and rock group from Liverpool, England formed in 1960. Primarily consisting of John Lennon (rhythm guitar, vocals), Paul McCartney (bass guitar, vocals), George Harrison (lead guitar, vocals) and Ringo Starr (drums, vocals) throughout their career, The Beatles are recognised for leading the mid-1960s musical "British Invasion" into the United States. Although their initial musical style was rooted in 1950s rock and roll and homegrown skiffle, the group explored genres ranging from Tin Pan Alley to psychedelic rock. Their clothes, styles, and statements made them trend-setters, while their growing social awareness saw their influence extend into the social and cultural revolutions of the 1960s. After the band broke up in 1970, all four members embarked upon solo careers."

The Beatles were the first "boy band" for the record. Then through Lennon & McCartney's writing skills they went on to change how popular music was percieved. Music became an art form. It hadn't considered so before.

As has already been mentioned i also believe Lennon and McCartney were the greatest composers of the 20th Century.

However, i prefer the Stones. During the time they wrote and recorded the double album "Exile On Main Street" i think they were seriously challenging The Beatles as number one band in the world. Even though the Beatles broke up in 1970.

Jagger & Richards writting was at it's peak during this time.

They had everything. Writting, performing live and recording in the studio, down like no other band

Edited by russianrobert

I vote Beatles. I bought only one Stones LP - Aftermath (Stupid Girl, Mother's Little Helper, brilliant!). But the compilation LP "The London Years" is brilliant - every single, A and B-side.

On the other hand, I have every Beatles vinyl LP. And now have all of them as .mp3 and .flac (16 Gbytes! :D)

Re. Aftermath, they changed the songs for the US version. They removed

Mother's Little Helper

Take It Or Leave It

Out Of Time

What To Do

and replaced them with "Paint It Black".

Can't think why... :o

And "Let's Spend The Night Together" became "Let's Spend Some Time Together" on the Ed Sullivan Show. :D

Apples and oranges comparison. Stones (one of the best if not the best) are a rock band, Beatles were a mostly pop band that did the occasional rock or blues (cover) tune. Love'em both, but the Stones do rock.

I object!

There are lots of styles of rock music. The Stones generally played harder rock than the Beatles, but both were rock and roll bands and both did ballads as well as hard core rock and roll.

"Helter Skelter" and "Why Don't We Do It In the Road"? are pretty down and dirty and neither are cover tunes! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

Rock music is a genre of popular music with a prominent vocal melody, accompanied by electric guitar, bass guitar, and drums. Many styles of rock music also use keyboard instruments such as organ, piano, mellotron, and synthesizers. Other instruments sometimes utilized in rock include saxophone, harmonica, violin, flute, French horn, banjo, melodica, and timpani. Also, less common stringed instruments such as mandolin and sitar are used. Rock music usually has a strong back beat, and often revolves around the guitar, either solid electric, hollow electric, or acoustic.

Rock music has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll and rockabilly, which evolved from blues, country music and other influences. According to Allmusic, "In its purest form, Rock & Roll has three chords, a strong, insistent back beat, and a catchy melody. Early rock & roll drew from a variety of sources, primarily blues, R&B, and country, but also gospel, traditional pop, jazz, and folk. All of these influences combined in a simple, blues-based song structure that was fast, danceable, and catchy."[1]

In the late 1960s, rock music was blended with folk music to create folk rock, blues to create blues-rock and with jazz, to create jazz-rock fusion, and without a time signature to create psychedelic rock. In the 1970s, rock incorporated influences from soul, funk, and latin music. Also in the 1970s, rock developed a number of subgenres, such as soft rock, heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock, and punk rock. Rock subgenres that emerged in the 1980s included New Wave, hardcore punk and alternative rock. In the 1990s, rock subgenres included grunge, Britpop, indie rock, and nu metal.

A group of musicians specializing in rock music is called a rock band or rock group. Many rock groups consist of a guitarist, lead singer, bass guitarist, and a drummer, forming a quartet. Some groups omit one or more of these roles and/or utilize a lead singer who plays an instrument while singing, sometimes forming a trio or duo; others include additional musicians such as one or two rhythm guitarists and/or a keyboardist. More rarely, groups also utilize stringed instruments such as violins or cellos, and/or horns like saxophones, trumpets or trombones.

I applaud The Beatles for acknowledging the Blues roots of Rock and Roll, but c'mon Paul McCartney can't sell "Good Golly Miss Molly". He's a white bread popster. One I thouroughly enjoy and admire (until his Wings/Michael Jackson duo years), but a different genre suits him better.

Edited by lannarebirth

but c'mon Paul McCartney can't sell "Good Golly Miss Molly". He's a white bread popster. One I thouroughly enjoy and admire (until his Wings/Michael Jackson duo years), but a different genre suits him better.

He surely can't be too proud of "We all stand together" :o

I applaud The Beatles for acknowledging the Blues roots of Rock and Roll, but c'mon Paul McCartney can't sell "Good Golly Miss Molly". He's a white bread popster.

How about Get Back, Helter Skelter, I've Got A Feeling, and Back In The USSR? Rockers all! :o

More good ones by Sir Paul:

Eleanor Rigby

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Blackbird

Maybe I'm Amazed

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Yesterday