Coyote Mexican Restauarant

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made my first visit to Coyote for a meal (1st time I went was for a party).

I would order the fajitas, chili and quesadillas again. Very good job there for the most part. The chili has chunks of meat and very, very little beans which is a good thing. At first I wanted a half bowl of chili because a full bowl AND fajitas would be way too much. I asked if they could do a half portion and the manager said "no". Normally I'd walk out and eat somewhere else if the management were so clueless on customer service (like at The Shack last week. Morons). We were the only people there and in cases like that they should be a little more helpful to what clients you do have. Besides, they had our order and knew it was well over 2000 baht - not like we only ordered a couple waters. However, under the circumstances my friend and I stayed and eventually split a bowl. So they probably thought they won! Until they read this. Good customer service isn't rocket science people.

My friend didn't like the hamburger saying it was the same you'd get at Islander or Tropical Murphys. Yes, ownership is similar but they should have made it differently. He asked for mayonaisse and was charged 75 baht! Hello, police? Yes, I'd like to report a robbery. The pitcher of margaritas was tasty but 900 baht for what amounts to 4 drinks is pricey. Still, I'd rather pay 220 baht for a margarita than 75 baht for a standard bottle of water. Hello, police? Yes, it's me again.

By now you'd think that I had a negative experience. Despite the over-priced mayo and the chili refusal I still recommend Coyotes. The food was really good, portions big enough and although far from cheap (my friend treated :o ), I was so stuffed I still felt like I was going to explode hours later. One thing I hate is expensive food that leaves you hungry an hour later. In this case, my day was ruined because I could barely move for six hours. I can live with that. :D

PA120580.jpg

Finally made my first visit to Coyote for a meal (1st time I went was for a party).

I would order the fajitas, chili and quesadillas again. Very good job there for the most part. The chili has chunks of meat and very, very little beans which is a good thing. At first I wanted a half bowl of chili because a full bowl AND fajitas would be way too much. I asked if they could do a half portion and the manager said "no". Normally I'd walk out and eat somewhere else if the management were so clueless on customer service (like at The Shack last week. Morons). We were the only people there and in cases like that they should be a little more helpful to what clients you do have. Besides, they had our order and knew it was well over 2000 baht - not like we only ordered a couple waters. However, under the circumstances my friend and I stayed and eventually split a bowl. So they probably thought they won! Until they read this. Good customer service isn't rocket science people.

My friend didn't like the hamburger saying it was the same you'd get at Islander or Tropical Murphys. Yes, ownership is similar but they should have made it differently. He asked for mayonaisse and was charged 75 baht! Hello, police? Yes, I'd like to report a robbery. The pitcher of margaritas was tasty but 900 baht for what amounts to 4 drinks is pricey. Still, I'd rather pay 220 baht for a margarita than 75 baht for a standard bottle of water. Hello, police? Yes, it's me again.

By now you'd think that I had a negative experience. Despite the over-priced mayo and the chili refusal I still recommend Coyotes. The food was really good, portions big enough and although far from cheap (my friend treated :o ), I was so stuffed I still felt like I was going to explode hours later. One thing I hate is expensive food that leaves you hungry an hour later. In this case, my day was ruined because I could barely move for six hours. I can live with that. :D

PA120580.jpg

Nice report koheesti, I've still got to go there and give it a try, how they can justify 75 baht for a dollop of mayonaisse beats me though!

PA120580.jpg

Well, good you told us a friend picked up the check because it really looked like your kind of style, hahaha! But still i agree, nice report boy.

I also in particular like the bottom coment on the recipt "we do not charge for servise". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if you charge 75 baht for mayonaise it would be pretty top of the notch to add service charge!!!

Luckily there is a mexican place soon to be open on this island that from what i hear wont overcharge. After all, the food itself is cheap, minced with chips/bread and sauces, and it should not be more than 200 baht for a meal in a mexican restaurant. The one to come i don´t know if i´m aloud to spread the word about so i wont. Yet. But premiere is within weeks and coytes overcharge might be over by then....hopefully. :D

'

Burger 425 baht!! Yeah, right!!!!!

Edited by mattias33

Well, good you told us a friend picked up the check because it really looked like your kind of style, hahaha!

What, you've never taken a friend out to lunch? Maybe you should change your username from mattias33 to cheapcharlie33. :o

Luckily there is a mexican place soon to be open on this island that from what i hear wont overcharge.

We'll have to wait and see if that's true or not. I know the place you are talking about and the difference in location is Coyote on Chaweng Beach road and this new place will be in a good spot Fisherman's Village. Both areas tend to have high prices. It is always easier to charge lower prices but will the quality and quantity of portions be the same as Coyote? Again, only time will tell.

PA120580.jpg

Well, good you told us a friend picked up the check because it really looked like your kind of style, hahaha! But still i agree, nice report boy.

I also in particular like the bottom coment on the recipt "we do not charge for servise". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if you charge 75 baht for mayonaise it would be pretty top of the notch to add service charge!!!

Luckily there is a mexican place soon to be open on this island that from what i hear wont overcharge. After all, the food itself is cheap, minced with chips/bread and sauces, and it should not be more than 200 baht for a meal in a mexican restaurant. The one to come i don´t know if i´m aloud to spread the word about so i wont. Yet. But premiere is within weeks and coytes overcharge might be over by then....hopefully. :D

'

Can enjoy roughly the same meal at a little over 50% of this price at Gringos. Agree, not the same location but still quite central and a quiet place to eat and drink. Went to Coyote once, never again.

By now you'd think that I had a negative experience. Despite the over-priced mayo and the chili refusal I still recommend Coyotes. The food was really good, portions big enough and although far from cheap (my friend treated :D ), I was so stuffed I still felt like I was going to explode hours later. One thing I hate is expensive food that leaves you hungry an hour later. In this case, my day was ruined because I could barely move for six hours. I can live with that. :D

PA120580.jpg

...and good to see that VAT of Baht 180.25 ends up with Baht 181 on your total bill.......but I guess 75 satang more or less doesn't really matter with these prices. :o

By now you'd think that I had a negative experience. Despite the over-priced mayo and the chili refusal I still recommend Coyotes. The food was really good, portions big enough and although far from cheap (my friend treated :D ), I was so stuffed I still felt like I was going to explode hours later. One thing I hate is expensive food that leaves you hungry an hour later. In this case, my day was ruined because I could barely move for six hours. I can live with that. :D

PA120580.jpg

'

They really drop the ball on this by being cheap with the meat! They could use 120gm of imported rib eye and still have less than a 20% food cost :o

Can enjoy roughly the same meal at a little over 50% of this price at Gringos. Agree, not the same location but still quite central and a quiet place to eat and drink. Went to Coyote once, never again.

True enough but Gringos has the same problem with their burgers, they use some odd mix filler which makes them mushy but for the price I would reccomend Gringos although parking is always an issue.

The only way I will return is if the tab is being paid by someone else :D Matt33 are you buying?

....175 bfor a margarita and 120b for a stella.

The thing which is worrying is i was in there Saturday night and they only had three tables...Chwaang is dead...no tourists...not good

have a look at the inflation the whole island went through over the years, how much was accommodation once, a singha with seaview on the beach was maybe 60 Baht!

Ok time moves on but I think that the rates going ever up and up and up and ever "trendier", it certainly didn't do much good for the tourism market on this island!

Even there is undoubtedly very good value for money, but remember how much you had to spend when you were a student?

The "high value" customer, hasn't really stepped in yet and may never ever!

...there are just too many things which don't fit the equation!

Just today I watched a special on BBC-World that English travel agent say their clients are definitely looking for real value for money once again Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria and Hungary, Dalmatian Coast are coming once again!

dont understand why you would go to a mexican restaurant and order a burger,especially at those prices..

my children like to eat out with me and hamburgers are typically a safe bet and at 400 Baht I was hoping for a ground steak burger which can be as delicious as fajitas

I think one of the problems here is that most of us on this forum are expats and know what 400 baht can give us over here. With those eyes 400 baht for a burger is close to robbery. I mean the 350 gram ribeye in shack steakhouse dont even cost 400 baht as far as i remember. On the other hand, looking with the tourist perspective, a rich European with 2 weeks holiday in a year, a quality burger for 8 euros would be ok. (bic mac meal in Sweden is close to 6 euros, if i remember correctly). And ok, if it is a real quality burger i suppose even i would pay 400 baht for it. hel_l, come to think of it i have not eaten anything as cheap as 400 baht all summer in Europe, so let´s take it for what it is.

One thing i can´t get over is the mayonaise for 75 baht! If you buy a burger for 425 they charge you for the mayonaise. And 75 baht!

Well, let´s face it, this place is obviously for tourists.