Boiset (offshore Survival) Training In Thailand

Does the Falco Nutec place do HUET training. If not, is there anywhere in Thailand that has OPITO approved Huet.

yes the school is in Songklah south Thailand,

I know Settapat is run by Chevron, but dont think they offer courses to the "outside world", this is set up for Chevron/Chevron affiliated personnel only, and still stand by my original statement thats its not OPITO certifed. It may conduct the training in accordance with OPITO standards, but may not OPITO accredited...training in accordance with and being accredited to are not the same thing

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, ,,,, I know this is an old post but just to update, it appears there is a Falck Nutec centre in BKK beside the Airport, looking into doing my BOISET refresher there, they sent me course information which says it is OPITO approved,, and the course is accepted by OLF but not OLF approved

the centre is located in Samutprakarn

FOET with Additional OLF Modules ER3PR(T) Compatibility Mode.pdf

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, ,,,, I know this is an old post but just to update, it appears there is a Falck Nutec centre in BKK beside the Airport, looking into doing my BOISET refresher there, they sent me course information which says it is OPITO approved,, and the course is accepted by OLF but not OLF approved

the centre is located in Samutprakarn

Hi jonnyscot,

many thanks for including the attachement - its useful to see the course content - this is going to be helpful for a lot of people who need to do that course.

• 1 month later...

this sure is an old post, but a lot of interesting info. for local expat and for person who are starting out. very useful!!!! but it's 2011 now and i think most of the place mention in Thailand is up to international standard (read corse description before you sign up for those class) but some of these class are ment for Thai operator only, cant operated in other water. i think we are better off going to Malay or Singapor for training. this meet northsea and US standard.

i could used some advice from expat working in SEA, specifically in Thailand, Malay, and the surround water. i want to change my profession and brake into O&G and will get things ready before summer of 2011 arrive. i do know that getting work in Thailand is almost impossible for farang. I am also an Farang (US), but i have thai citizenship. ( i have dual citizenship) I was born and raised in Pattaya Beach, went to school/ collage in California. Graduated with a BS in Facility Engineer from California Maritime Academy. and been working shoreside for the past 5 year. I did enjoy sailing, but i have other obligation plus there were obsitcal i dont want to mess with. so i chagne my major from Marine Engineer to Facility engineer. I discover O&G after i finish school and working in Texas for LPG company.

anyway, I'm about to take a leap of faith and try my luck in O&G in SEA. i already research out the minimum requirement i need to have to work in oilfield/ offshore in USA. And....the standard here is much higher, plus i have to deal with U.S.Coast Guard regulation/ Home Land Security/ Department of Transportation. so i think SEA (Thailand) would not be impossible for green horn like me to get into. I speak /read/write thai language, i have thai citizenship and i have BS degree, i think i have things in my favor. But there is always the unknown and uncertainty in O&G business. so i am here seeking advice from a seasons expat working or have worked in SEA / around the world. your knowledge of the business and experiance working can shade some light to this green horn

but why SEA? there is job in USA and GOM..... I figure that i will be starting from Zero where ever i go., but i think i have the edge if i work in thailand. I just need a few year under my belt and i can work for anyone/anywhere. if offshore does not work out, onshore or other facility in Rayong or Chonburi can be a back up if things did not go thru/ did not work out. i got back up plans and more back up plans. ( i been planing this for the past 2 year, just waiting for the right timing) i even set up a small bike repair shop in Pattaya. I specially in Harley and Chopper. feel free to contact me if you need service. I charge less than most repair shop you visit in thailand. gurantee or free repair ( how many time you got rip off at repair shop?)

anyway, the reason i'm doing this is because i am fed-up with the USA and want to get the hell out of here. most of you know exactly what i'm talking about. dont want to deal with bunch of BS anymore. Beside, my current job is a dead end.......,

it 's a well paid job ($90K+) with excellent benefit and 7 week paid vacation per year! 4 year contract gurantee 40 hr work week ( union job) ! yeah, i'm stupid for even thinking of throwing all that away. but it is what it is, you guys been there before, that is why you guys left home and went offshore. i'm a single guy and about to turn 33 next month. i figure i still got some life in me and i'm gonna take a leap of faith and go offshore.

the problem is, there is soo many types of job out there and i know i can do any of them, they just need to trane me and invest in me. I was thinking drill/well service or maybe well log or maybe offshore construction. later on, i have no problem getting well control certificate - supervisor level. but experiance is much more important than certificate. so i drop well control school and stick with basic training. what do you guys see with me picking job in these field? advice? possible future job? cross training?

i sorry if i ramble a bit. some time it's good to vent it out. any and all advice are welcome.( both positive and negative). i will continue to monitor this posting and see if anyone post any new info. i thank you for your time and hope to be working with some of you out there on the rig in 2011. best wish to all for 2011

this sure is an old post, but a lot of interesting info. for local expat and for person who are starting out. very useful!!!! but it's 2011 now and i think most of the place mention in Thailand is up to international standard (read corse description before you sign up for those class) but some of these class are ment for Thai operator only, cant operated in other water. i think we are better off going to Malay or Singapor for training. this meet northsea and US standard.

i could used some advice from expat working in SEA, specifically in Thailand, Malay, and the surround water. i want to change my profession and brake into O&G and will get things ready before summer of 2011 arrive. i do know that getting work in Thailand is almost impossible for farang. I am also an Farang (US), but i have thai citizenship. ( i have dual citizenship) I was born and raised in Pattaya Beach, went to school/ collage in California. Graduated with a BS in Facility Engineer from California Maritime Academy. and been working shoreside for the past 5 year. I did enjoy sailing, but i have other obligation plus there were obsitcal i dont want to mess with. so i chagne my major from Marine Engineer to Facility engineer. I discover O&G after i finish school and working in Texas for LPG company.

anyway, I'm about to take a leap of faith and try my luck in O&G in SEA. i already research out the minimum requirement i need to have to work in oilfield/ offshore in USA. And....the standard here is much higher, plus i have to deal with U.S.Coast Guard regulation/ Home Land Security/ Department of Transportation. so i think SEA (Thailand) would not be impossible for green horn like me to get into. I speak /read/write thai language, i have thai citizenship and i have BS degree, i think i have things in my favor. But there is always the unknown and uncertainty in O&G business. so i am here seeking advice from a seasons expat working or have worked in SEA / around the world. your knowledge of the business and experiance working can shade some light to this green horn

but why SEA? there is job in USA and GOM..... I figure that i will be starting from Zero where ever i go., but i think i have the edge if i work in thailand. I just need a few year under my belt and i can work for anyone/anywhere. if offshore does not work out, onshore or other facility in Rayong or Chonburi can be a back up if things did not go thru/ did not work out. i got back up plans and more back up plans. ( i been planing this for the past 2 year, just waiting for the right timing) i even set up a small bike repair shop in Pattaya. I specially in Harley and Chopper. feel free to contact me if you need service. I charge less than most repair shop you visit in thailand. gurantee or free repair ( how many time you got rip off at repair shop?)

anyway, the reason i'm doing this is because i am fed-up with the USA and want to get the hell out of here. most of you know exactly what i'm talking about. dont want to deal with bunch of BS anymore. Beside, my current job is a dead end.......,

it 's a well paid job ($90K+) with excellent benefit and 7 week paid vacation per year! 4 year contract gurantee 40 hr work week ( union job) ! yeah, i'm stupid for even thinking of throwing all that away. but it is what it is, you guys been there before, that is why you guys left home and went offshore. i'm a single guy and about to turn 33 next month. i figure i still got some life in me and i'm gonna take a leap of faith and go offshore.

the problem is, there is soo many types of job out there and i know i can do any of them, they just need to trane me and invest in me. I was thinking drill/well service or maybe well log or maybe offshore construction. later on, i have no problem getting well control certificate - supervisor level. but experiance is much more important than certificate. so i drop well control school and stick with basic training. what do you guys see with me picking job in these field? advice? possible future job? cross training?

i sorry if i ramble a bit. some time it's good to vent it out. any and all advice are welcome.( both positive and negative). i will continue to monitor this posting and see if anyone post any new info. i thank you for your time and hope to be working with some of you out there on the rig in 2011. best wish to all for 2011

Your best bet is to apply directly to the operating companies, seeing as you are Thai...;) and have a western education and appear to have some related experience....ie apply directly to Chevron/ PTTEP or possibly Pearl Oil in Thailand, if you manage to get your foot in the door with either Chevron or PTTEP, you will have cracked it, certainly as it seems you are prepared to work offshore

If based in Thailand as a Thai national you will not be getting paid as an expat, but would suggest a few years in Thailand and then apply internally for the expat game, if you try and apply the other way as an "expat" you will not get a look in, the doors are just about shut now for expats in the Gulf of Thailand.

hope this helps

Soutie

I think right now isn't an easy time for working in the Oil and Gas industry Thai or Farang..

I've a farang buddy who got about 3-4 trips offshore last year, with months without work (feast and famine).

It's not too bad if you are 'on-the-books' but if you are freelance it's a lot harder until an upturn.

I think right now isn't an easy time for working in the Oil and Gas industry Thai or Farang..

I've a farang buddy who got about 3-4 trips offshore last year, with months without work (feast and famine).

It's not too bad if you are 'on-the-books' but if you are freelance it's a lot harder until an upturn.

What I do know is there are some quiet big projects which will be starting in 2011 for this area of SEA, Thailand, Vietnam and related locations....;) and will go on for a number of years yet.....roll on $100/barrel....:D

What I do know is there are some quiet big projects which will be starting in 2011 for this area of SEA, Thailand, Vietnam and related locations....;) and will go on for a number of years yet.....roll on $100/barrel....:D

130 US$ was very good :)

130 US$ was very good :)

$130/140 was never going to be sustainable .....would be good if it was, but think $100 is going to be the number and if gets there happy days for a good few years yet......hopefully long enough to get my Aston Martin...:rolleyes:

You are right about OPITO not being accepted throughout the entire world, but I can't imagine a course being heald in Thailand mainly for Thai's not being recognized in the Gulf of Thailand, especially when They have a TPTI office on site. From what I understand TPTI is the Thai legislative body for offshore training. Maybe there will be a restriction on the card. I will clarify tomorrow when I finish the course.

On TPTI..yes a goverment legislative body...but they dont set the rules per se..the operating company does..ie PTTEP is 3 years validity, Chervron's is 2 years and for Pearl Oil..I have no idea..

I wouldnt get to worried about an OPITO approved training course with a 4 year validity not being allowed in the Gulf of Thailand, was just pointing technically it wouldnt comply with the operators rules, not that they wouldnt give a concession for someone who had one.

Personally I guess as the indutry matures in Thailand there will eventually be one set of rules for everyone..

The only location where OPITO is fully recognised and mandated by all operators is the North sea.

Just a point of interest, my OPITO BOSIET turned 3 years old in November and we were due to do a job for PTTEP in the Gulf in December. They insisted that I would need to do a refresher, and organised for the BOST at MOGIT (PTTEP were going to pay for this so I didn't complain - too much).

I was then at the OSEA exhibition in Singapore in November and met with the OPITO guys who had a stand there. I relayed my story to them and they were so insensed that they contacted PTTEP directly, and subsequently I didn't need to do the refresher.

I think PTTEP only have experience with the local BOST and not OPITO BOSIET, so if anyone else is in the same position just tell them to speak to OPITO direct.

Hi Jerry

Just did my refresh in BKK, that school is Falck Nutec, even got OLF so its really up to world standard there

Have a look.

http://www.falcknutec.co.th/

refresh is 28.000 Baht

full course is around 36.000

Thanks for the heads up. Refresher due next year. Just for info I did my last BOSIET OPITO in the Philippines (CTSI) just outside Manila. I ended up having to do the full 3 days due to being out of date and holding the MOGIT ticket only which was only OPITO accredited but worked for me in Thailand and was payed for by the company. Have to say that when I did the one in the Philippines it was great value for US$600 including food & accomodation on training camp plus 1 night hotel accom in Manila on arrival. Not sure of the current pricing but it is another option if you fancy a wee break over there.

You are right about OPITO not being accepted throughout the entire world, but I can't imagine a course being heald in Thailand mainly for Thai's not being recognized in the Gulf of Thailand, especially when They have a TPTI office on site. From what I understand TPTI is the Thai legislative body for offshore training. Maybe there will be a restriction on the card. I will clarify tomorrow when I finish the course.

On TPTI..yes a goverment legislative body...but they dont set the rules per se..the operating company does..ie PTTEP is 3 years validity, Chervron's is 2 years and for Pearl Oil..I have no idea..

I wouldnt get to worried about an OPITO approved training course with a 4 year validity not being allowed in the Gulf of Thailand, was just pointing technically it wouldnt comply with the operators rules, not that they wouldnt give a concession for someone who had one.

Personally I guess as the indutry matures in Thailand there will eventually be one set of rules for everyone..

The only location where OPITO is fully recognised and mandated by all operators is the North sea.

Just a point of interest, my OPITO BOSIET turned 3 years old in November and we were due to do a job for PTTEP in the Gulf in December. They insisted that I would need to do a refresher, and organised for the BOST at MOGIT (PTTEP were going to pay for this so I didn't complain - too much).

I was then at the OSEA exhibition in Singapore in November and met with the OPITO guys who had a stand there. I relayed my story to them and they were so insensed that they contacted PTTEP directly, and subsequently I didn't need to do the refresher.

I think PTTEP only have experience with the local BOST and not OPITO BOSIET, so if anyone else is in the same position just tell them to speak to OPITO direct.

Hi

More and more companies only want 3 years, Esso and Shell have asked me refresh after 3 years even if its 4 year you get on the paper

The OPITO Mafia have no right to get incensed about anything, its the operators rules that govern, not what OPITO says, if PTTEP says your ID card will be "n*pple pink to get offshore, thats what it will be....its their concession not OPITO's and they have no "jurstidiction" talking to an operator.....quite suprised PTTEP guys didnt tell to f*kc off

Hi

More and more companies only want 3 years, Esso and Shell have asked me refresh after 3 years even if its 4 year you get on the paper

Correct Chevron is also 3 years

Thx for the info. HDRider, i got information on all 3 school and the one you mention seems the more reliable adn it "feels right" ,....not bad mouthing other place.

I'm still in california, USA and working on tieing up loose end so i can move to Thailand this summer. and between now and when i move, i got a few month and 6 week of paid vacations saved up.

i was gonna go for offshore training at Lafayette, Lousiana for a couple of week to get offshore certified. at least with this meal ticket, i can work in USA/ Gulf of Mexico.

this would be a new hire training package. (boiest/ huet/ IADC rigpass/ safegulf, H2S safety, competent rigger and ect). it a basic knowledge for new hire. not too expensive for $700. (meal/hotel/transportation not included)

but once i'm there, i'll do some more training such as Lifeboat/ Prof. Survival Craft for a US Coast Guard endorcement, API Crain Operator and API T2: Production Safety System. I was gonna also get Fast Rescue Boat Cert. but not enough time/ cant schdual it. i can get that later as it is not that important.

i also need to renew my STCW95, but i can do that any time at my old school. so that can come later.

anyway, all this gonna cost me about $4600 includeing hotel/ air fair / meal and rental car. it 's a steep price to pay, but if you dont have the basic, they will not be no job. the alternative is come to Thailand for training... I talk to a few thai operator, and manager here and they said if you got fresh US training, they can give you BS. pay the extra cost and get a piece of mind, and i totally agreed with this. Training in thailand is probally good for renewal of certification. i dont know how the O&G business in Thailand that well, so i'm not taking any chance. i jsut wnat my foot inthe door first . ( they could really offer me a good paying job as a Thai, you never know)

i'm not the kind that collect certificate so i can get more money, i'm practicle and always look for other oppotunity or other alternative. but more training is better than bare minimum.

Edited by jerryb78

Your best bet is to apply directly to the operating companies, seeing as you are Thai...;) and have a western education and appear to have some related experience....ie apply directly to Chevron/ PTTEP or possibly Pearl Oil in Thailand, if you manage to get your foot in the door with either Chevron or PTTEP, you will have cracked it, certainly as it seems you are prepared to work offshore

If based in Thailand as a Thai national you will not be getting paid as an expat, but would suggest a few years in Thailand and then apply internally for the expat game, if you try and apply the other way as an "expat" you will not get a look in, the doors are just about shut now for expats in the Gulf of Thailand.

hope this helps

Soutie

Thx for the info Soutie, i was planning to apply to PTTEP/Chevron/ or other oil company the operated in Thailand. There is quite a few of them tht offer job, but to Thai national only. They are promoteing "Thai Workforce" . anywayThose are the company that i will give it a go and see what happen.

But you know, when i was in thailand last year, a few of my dad friends who work in this field for a long time, operating mostly in SEA. (they are now rig supervisor or company man level) told me that, "do not apply as a thai, apply as an expat." it's true that money and benefit is on another level, when compare to Thai operator salary. They told me go back and become at least a assist. driller and i'll help you with a job. At least he knows that you gonna need a more than a minimum qualification to get a job in Thailand. This is a words of wisdom from people who work everywhere for a long time. but to get to be assist. driller, i gonna need to go to a drill school and finish grduating from being a roughneck/ green horn and get your drill certificate. this take time and money. mostly time. .....i can't afford to waste time , beside, i think there is more oppotunity if i go into well service area. a lot of money can be made in drilling, but i think that there is just as many job that are well paid in well serivce.

so against his word of advice, i opt to brake into oil field as a Thai and not as an expat.. i just need to get my foot in the door and then later .....brake away as an expat as Soutie suggested. but if there is future for me there. i'll stick with Chevron or PTTET. who's know what the next tide will bring.

some of the guys here mention " it's not what you know, it's who you know ", this is certainly true in th ereal world. i got a few string i can pull, i got one for well service with Halliburton, and a couple more with PTTET, but i do not want to be pulling string to get the job. I'll do it if i have to. but i am confident enough that i can make it on my own. i'll probally ask for a few reference from some of the people i know and that is about it. But if it does not look good, then i'll start making phone call and inviteing people over for dinner and just let the conversation runs.

but here is a another interesting questions and it's kinda personal dont know if some of you guys willing to answer it or not. " how much do you get paid?" i kow that there are many job position and not all job pay the same. but there is got to be a set minimum standard for wage in this business or you guys will not have enough to live of.

so, any volenteer or any thing you heard ? rumor? i would like to know expat salary and Thai salary. what are the daily wage for a worker on a Rig?

i know that Thai make about 1/3 (one third) or 1/4 ( one quarter) of what expat make. but i could not get my hand on this information; so i need to know what to ask at the interview and do not want to be cheated just because i apply for the job as a Thai. i want what is fair market value for my time. I know i am green horn, but what fair is fair.

thx in advance for your contribution

Thx for the info Soutie, i was planning to apply to PTTEP/Chevron/ or other oil company the operated in Thailand. There is quite a few of them tht offer job, but to Thai national only. They are promoteing "Thai Workforce" . anywayThose are the company that i will give it a go and see what happen.

But you know, when i was in thailand last year, a few of my dad friends who work in this field for a long time, operating mostly in SEA. (they are now rig supervisor or company man level) told me that, "do not apply as a thai, apply as an expat." it's true that money and benefit is on another level, when compare to Thai operator salary. They told me go back and become at least a assist. driller and i'll help you with a job. At least he knows that you gonna need a more than a minimum qualification to get a job in Thailand. This is a words of wisdom from people who work everywhere for a long time. but to get to be assist. driller, i gonna need to go to a drill school and finish grduating from being a roughneck/ green horn and get your drill certificate. this take time and money. mostly time. .....i can't afford to waste time , beside, i think there is more oppotunity if i go into well service area. a lot of money can be made in drilling, but i think that there is just as many job that are well paid in well serivce.

so against his word of advice, i opt to brake into oil field as a Thai and not as an expat.. i just need to get my foot in the door and then later .....brake away as an expat as Soutie suggested. but if there is future for me there. i'll stick with Chevron or PTTET. who's know what the next tide will bring.

some of the guys here mention " it's not what you know, it's who you know ", this is certainly true in th ereal world. i got a few string i can pull, i got one for well service with Halliburton, and a couple more with PTTET, but i do not want to be pulling string to get the job. I'll do it if i have to. but i am confident enough that i can make it on my own. i'll probally ask for a few reference from some of the people i know and that is about it. But if it does not look good, then i'll start making phone call and inviteing people over for dinner and just let the conversation runs.

but here is a another interesting questions and it's kinda personal dont know if some of you guys willing to answer it or not. " how much do you get paid?" i kow that there are many job position and not all job pay the same. but there is got to be a set minimum standard for wage in this business or you guys will not have enough to live of.

so, any volenteer or any thing you heard ? rumor? i would like to know expat salary and Thai salary. what are the daily wage for a worker on a Rig?

i know that Thai make about 1/3 (one third) or 1/4 ( one quarter) of what expat make. but i could not get my hand on this information; so i need to know what to ask at the interview and do not want to be cheated just because i apply for the job as a Thai. i want what is fair market value for my time. I know i am green horn, but what fair is fair.

I think you need to decide what exactly it is you want to do, I know for a fact in Thailand you will not get a look in applying as an Expat to Thai operators, you will need to be Thai, certainly as a trainee, you will not get your WP approved as an expat.

To get in as an expat these days in Thailand with an operating company, you will need to be working for the operating company outside of Thailand, eg you work for say Chevron in states and apply for a transfer to Thailand, which you may or may not get

If you decide to go the drilling route in the positions mentioned, you need to be looking at the service companies, not the operating companies, they dont really employ drillers/roughnecks etc, to go the operator route on drilling you would need to be a company man/DSM/company rep in some capacity which would be years away for you (try 10-15 yrs) and a whole lot of luck.

I think you need to decide what exactly it is you want to do, I know for a fact in Thailand you will not get a look in applying as an Expat to Thai operators, you will need to be Thai, certainly as a trainee, you will not get your WP approved as an expat.

To get in as an expat these days in Thailand with an operating company, you will need to be working for the operating company outside of Thailand, eg you work for say Chevron in states and apply for a transfer to Thailand, which you may or may not get

If you decide to go the drilling route in the positions mentioned, you need to be looking at the service companies, not the operating companies, they dont really employ drillers/roughnecks etc, to go the operator route on drilling you would need to be a company man/DSM/company rep in some capacity which would be years away for you (try 10-15 yrs) and a whole lot of luck.

This came down from one of the top Thai dudes at Chevron Thailand a couple months back - 'There will be no expats working offshore in the Gulf of Thailand by March 2011 unless 100% necessary'

4 of my expat friends just got their marching orders last month after being there for around 10 years. We have also been interviewed recently to see how long it would take to Nationalize our positions.

thx again Soutie. you advice shade some light. I will apply as thai to get my foot in the door and get some experiance and credential under my belt. After a few years, go free lance and work international. Later, if possible work for a company and try to get a transfer to Thailand or SEA. Chance is slim as there are people who are more experiance than me and smarter than me----who want the same job. it not big deal, it would not be any time soon before i can climb the ladder to success.

i will concentrate on getting in the door and at the same time, figure out what exactly i want to do. the oppotunity is there, i just need to reach for it. wish me luck and i will keep my progress posted here.. I'm in San Diago just relaxing for a few day, then back to the old grind stone. Good news is, i'll be in Thailand on Feb.8th. and maybe again on Songkarn Day on April 13th. cant wait to get there.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I am about to do the basic offshore survival course incl. HUET

Just wanted to know if the falck nutec course in Thailand is ok for the Norwegian sector.?

I know it says OLF recognized but not OLF approved so is it possible to work in the Norwegian sector with this course.?

I can save alot of $ if i take this course in Thailand instead of Norway, just need to make sure i can use it or not :)

Thanks for any answer!

Hello,

I am about to do the basic offshore survival course incl. HUET

Just wanted to know if the falck nutec course in Thailand is ok for the Norwegian sector.?

I know it says OLF recognized but not OLF approved so is it possible to work in the Norwegian sector with this course.?

I can save alot of $ if i take this course in Thailand instead of Norway, just need to make sure i can use it or not :)

Thanks for any answer!

It will not be recognised if you do the BOSIET-T, this is for tropical water, you would need to talk to them, although there are places in the region which do the training which is accepted for the North Sea, but operators may have different requirements in the Norwegian sector (never worked there)...easiest way to find out is to check with the governing body in Norway...not sure if this is OPITO or not...but you should be able to find out...

The other issue which you have touched on.....a company can train in "accordance with" but they may not be acredited to.....i.e. their training may not be accepted, this has been ploy with a lot of training schools thorugh the years..people pay a fair chunk of change to do the training and then find out the ticket is not worth the paper its written on

• 4 months later...

thx again Soutie. you advice shade some light. I will apply as thai to get my foot in the door and get some experiance and credential under my belt. After a few years, go free lance and work international. Later, if possible work for a company and try to get a transfer to Thailand or SEA. Chance is slim as there are people who are more experiance than me and smarter than me----who want the same job. it not big deal, it would not be any time soon before i can climb the ladder to success.

i will concentrate on getting in the door and at the same time, figure out what exactly i want to do. the oppotunity is there, i just need to reach for it. wish me luck and i will keep my progress posted here.. I'm in San Diago just relaxing for a few day, then back to the old grind stone. Good news is, i'll be in Thailand on Feb.8th. and maybe again on Songkarn Day on April 13th. cant wait to get there.

Hi Jerry just wondering how you made out working in Thailand yet???

I am now in the process of refreshing my HUET here in Thailand with Falck Nutec in Samut Prakan...

Hope I can get away with just the 1 Day refresher..will see...

from my expierance and all my training programs have been paid for by my employer even if it means paying out of pocket and fileing an expense report...I've always gotten my money back that i've paid out....

but for sure in the off shore fields everybody has there own deals when it comes to what companies pay for and salaries...

cheers mate..

from my expierance and all my training programs have been paid for by my employer even if it means paying out of pocket and fileing an expense report...I've always gotten my money back that i've paid out....

The company paying for your basic offshore training is the way it should be, but there are employers out there who will try and screw every cent out of an employee and its wrong, the biggest crooks for this sort of thing are the agents who supply personnel to the north sea.

Typically in an agents T&C's there is financial provision within the day rate for agencies to pay for the persons basic safety training and they scam people out of this cash and make them pay for the training themselves and do not remiburse them

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a link to the official opito.com list of BOSIET training providers:

http://www.opito.com/uk/course-search-results.html?country=0&course=1&btnCourseSearch=GO

I had to do BOSIET for the first time as a self-paid student. After researching I found it was a least expensive option for me to use my frequent flier miles and fly from Chiang Mai to Vung Tau, Vietnam (via HCM City) to do the course at Falck Nutek. It appears that the training provider(s) in Thailand have their fees jacked up by the government nearly double the prices of neighboring countries.

I would recommend taking the ferry from HCM to Vung Tau to save some money.

I also needed to do a visa run so this gave me another 30 days here.

Good luck,

JB

Here is a link to the official opito.com list of BOSIET training providers:

http://www.opito.com...CourseSearch=GO

I had to do BOSIET for the first time as a self-paid student. After researching I found it was a least expensive option for me to use my frequent flier miles and fly from Chiang Mai to Vung Tau, Vietnam (via HCM City) to do the course at Falck Nutek. It appears that the training provider(s) in Thailand have their fees jacked up by the government nearly double the prices of neighboring countries.

I would recommend taking the ferry from HCM to Vung Tau to save some money.

I also needed to do a visa run so this gave me another 30 days here.

Good luck,

JB

You are correct.

You can do it in the Philippines at CTSI for $600 US including food/accomm. They also provided me a free night in the hotel in Manila the day before I flew back to Thailand - amazing value. This was in 2008 and I had to complete the full 3 days as my previous ticket had expired. I recently did my 1 day FOET top up with MOGIT and although paid for by my company I had a peep at the invoice - 30,000 Baht!!!!

It appears that the training provider(s) in Thailand have their fees jacked up by the government nearly double the prices of neighboring countries.

The goverment doesnt have a say in the fee's charged, the training providers are private business's. I suspect what may have happened is that the training providers in Thailand are "accredited to" the operators...ie the operators in Thailand only recognise the training provided by certain companies and as such the training providers are trying to gouge people..but certainly the Thai goverment (DMF) has no say over the rates charged