Buying A House With Wife

And what pray tell do Thai cats have to do with the question?

Bendix: there's a percentage of people on any social networking site that are miserable gits, it's not unique to Thaivisa. So I put it to you that what you are seeing is a cross section of a typical online community and I am curious as to how you presume that miserableness extends to their relationships.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bendix, my grandfather used to have a saying: the first the horse kicks you, it's the horse's fault; the second time the horse kicks you it's your fault. I'd be willing to bet that quite a large percentage of ThaiVisa posters fall into the following catergory (as wrong as it is to stereotype people): minimum of mid 40's, white, previously married, and moderately wealthy.

Now assuming that is true, they've had experience of buying houses before. And they thought that they were in love till Death did them part. And through whomever's fault, they're now divorced with the ex taking their hard earned trust, love, money, and house. Is it so wrong to ask and offer advice to prevent it from happening again? Does not the whole "Hope for the best prepare for the worst" have any validity?

I agree with billd (who is an excellent fellow). If you can't afford to walk away from it, don't bother. If you have any suspicion that it won't work out, it probably won't! However, unless you just can't live without the best house on the block, there's no reason the vast majority of ThaiVisa posters couldn't walk away from a 500K THB house. And how much more house do those aforementioned people need?

To the OP. I simply told my wife if she ever tired to screw me over, I'd just hire the local builder to drive through my half of the house. Of course, the understanding is that my half is the kitchen and lavatory! :o I don't think that things should ever come to that, but having a contigency plan never hurts anything.

Hi,

hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I will be buying a house with my new wife shortly, 50% Mortgage through SCB, the other 50% paid by me and I will be guarantor on her mortgage application and will be making the repayments. I'm aware I will have to waive my rights to the land ownership but is there somewhere that will confirm that I am the owner of the house?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

One: If you feel your wife is pushing you to do this, don't do it.

Two: borrowing money to give it away is bad business. Don't do it. Same for being guarantor on her mortgage AND doing the payments.

Three: make sure you have at least the usufruct (right to use and have the benefits) of the property as long as you live, but realise that if you have a problem with your wife and/or her family and the house is in their area, life might not be as peaceful as you have dreamed. If you fear that the inlaws and/or your wife will be a nuisance when you take up the usufruct: don't do it, or accept that they will win. You will need a lawyer for the contract of the usufruct. Also make sure your wife makes a will in your benefit regarding the usufruct.

Four: if your wife has no money, realise that the relationship between you two might change once you have signed all the papers.

Five: be ready to lose money when you buy something in Thailand.

Success!

Bendix, my grandfather used to have a saying: the first the horse kicks you, it's the horse's fault; the second time the horse kicks you it's your fault. I'd be willing to bet that quite a large percentage of ThaiVisa posters fall into the following catergory (as wrong as it is to stereotype people): minimum of mid 40's, white, previously married, and moderately wealthy.

Now assuming that is true, they've had experience of buying houses before. And they thought that they were in love till Death did them part. And through whomever's fault, they're now divorced with the ex taking their hard earned trust, love, money, and house. Is it so wrong to ask and offer advice to prevent it from happening again? Does not the whole "Hope for the best prepare for the worst" have any validity?

I agree with billd (who is an excellent fellow). If you can't afford to walk away from it, don't bother. If you have any suspicion that it won't work out, it probably won't! However, unless you just can't live without the best house on the block, there's no reason the vast majority of ThaiVisa posters couldn't walk away from a 500K THB house. And how much more house do those aforementioned people need?

To the OP. I simply told my wife if she ever tired to screw me over, I'd just hire the local builder to drive through my half of the house. Of course, the understanding is that my half is the kitchen and lavatory! :D I don't think that things should ever come to that, but having a contigency plan never hurts anything.

Thanks for spreading the truth about me Dave.

I will be back home over the Xmas/New Year and I will shout you a drink or three.

If you are not there I will leave them with Khonwan.

:o:D :D

Me and the missus have built a house in Uttaradit, lost track of what it cost / owes me, built around 4 years ago at a guess 1mio baht. We now live here in Oz, in my house which is worth many times more. If we split what would happen? To be honnest the house in Thailand would get fuc_k all considration, my house here in Oz I would fight for, my kids I would kill for.

The difference between myself and my wife given that we seperated would be that I have an education, an ability to earn, I may get down but I would'nt be out. The other half would be finnished. If she want's half then she can have it, she's about to give me my second child and I don't think for one moment that she has'nt contributed in one way or another at least half to our life together/ assets.

We have been married nearly six years now, alot of the what-ifs are long forgotten and now I'm the wiser I would have to say it would be better to have no-one in my life than have the day to day doubts and what-ifs.

Damo.

Me and the missus have built a house in Uttaradit, lost track of what it cost / owes me, built around 4 years ago at a guess 1mio baht. We now live here in Oz, in my house which is worth many times more. If we split what would happen? To be honnest the house in Thailand would get fuc_k all considration, my house here in Oz I would fight for, my kids I would kill for.

The difference between myself and my wife given that we seperated would be that I have an education, an ability to earn, I may get down but I would'nt be out. The other half would be finnished. If she want's half then she can have it, she's about to give me my second child and I don't think for one moment that she has'nt contributed in one way or another at least half to our life together/ assets.

We have been married nearly six years now, alot of the what-ifs are long forgotten and now I'm the wiser I would have to say it would be better to have no-one in my life than have the day to day doubts and what-ifs.

Damo.

My sentiments exactly, there are too many people on here who are paranoid about losing everything to the Mrs, why people burn their bridges back home amazes me.

Hi,

hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I will be buying a house with my new wife shortly, 50% Mortgage through SCB, the other 50% paid by me and I will be guarantor on her mortgage application and will be making the repayments. I'm aware I will have to waive my rights to the land ownership but is there somewhere that will confirm that I am the owner of the house?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

One: If you feel your wife is pushing you to do this, don't do it.

Two: borrowing money to give it away is bad business. Don't do it. Same for being guarantor on her mortgage AND doing the payments.

Three: make sure you have at least the usufruct (right to use and have the benefits) of the property as long as you live, but realise that if you have a problem with your wife and/or her family and the house is in their area, life might not be as peaceful as you have dreamed. If you fear that the inlaws and/or your wife will be a nuisance when you take up the usufruct: don't do it, or accept that they will win. You will need a lawyer for the contract of the usufruct. Also make sure your wife makes a will in your benefit regarding the usufruct.

Four: if your wife has no money, realise that the relationship between you two might change once you have signed all the papers.

Five: be ready to lose money when you buy something in Thailand.

Success!

Can you explain to me what you mean by your last point. Sounds a bit pointless doesn't it? couldn't you insert Egypt,Iran, USA, UK,OZ I really couldn't be bothered listing every country here but I look forward to your explanation.

To the OP. I simply told my wife if she ever tired to screw me over, I'd just hire the local builder to drive through my half of the house. Of course, the understanding is that my half is the kitchen and lavatory! :D I don't think that things should ever come to that, but having a contigency plan never hurts anything.

I will be back home over the Xmas/New Year and I will shout you a drink or three.

:o:D:D

Bah, I was just lying to score free beer out of 'ya. Are you currently installing more cell towers?

Unfortunately I need to go back to Nakhon Sawan before then; we're getting new subcontractors in and I need to be here for the transition. However, I'll be back in November and then again in February for the daughters birthday. You're invited if you're there at that time!

:o:D:D

Bah, I was just lying to score free beer out of 'ya. Are you currently installing more cell towers?

Unfortunately I need to go back to Nakhon Sawan before then; we're getting new subcontractors in and I need to be here for the transition. However, I'll be back in November and then again in February for the daughters birthday. You're invited if you're there at that time!

I am still building the towers but I am now in New Zealand for a couple of years and I only get home every 6 months.

I would love to be there but the music I am hearing at the moment is that of some cash coming in to buy more land.

The only problem with leaving the beers at Khonwans is that they may evaporate before you see them.

See you some time. :D:(

Somehow late, I enjoyed reading this thread with some reasonable answers on the subject.

I just want to know and have no intention to buy land or house and my few remarks are meant without getting at anybody.....

... There is not such a housing market here as in the West, what will you do if you split up? Take your house away? I think when we get married in any country if for some reason you were to split up then you walk away, let her have the house and cut your losses.

Alternatively if she did the dirty on you I guess you could torch the place?

If you are in a stable relationship and it is her mortgage anyway it doesn't matter whose name it is in.

IMO

You the reasonable man must be very generous indeed. Would you really do that i.e. in Europe with their steep house prices?

Land was valued at 280,000 B

I wonder what area that is, Khon Kaen? How many sqm or rais? In my area they sell half a rai land for THB 1'000'000 or is/was that a family price?

thai pussy? :o

Your did not want to be that harsh, did you?

Somehow late, I enjoyed reading this thread with some reasonable answers on the subject.

I just want to know and have no intention to buy land or house and my few remarks are meant without getting at anybody.....

... There is not such a housing market here as in the West, what will you do if you split up? Take your house away? I think when we get married in any country if for some reason you were to split up then you walk away, let her have the house and cut your losses.

If you are in a stable relationship and it is her mortgage anyway it doesn't matter whose name it is in.

IMO

You the reasonable man must be very generous indeed. Would you really do that i.e. in Europe with their steep house prices?

No probably not because as I stated there is a housing market in the West where you can easily sell a property and divide it up 50/50 and get half each. Over here when you are just spending a couple of million Baht on a house in a place where it is more difficult to sell and the land isn't yours anyway you might as well let her have it and walk away. You can't win a fight about it, just move on. In the UK a woman can always survive without you as well and get government money to pay rent on a new place but here that house may be all the ex has. Just be a man, know you never owned the land and walk away knowing you didn't fit the whiny sterotype and let her have the house after all she probably earned that couple of mil by putting up with you, I know my Mrs has. :o

IMO

No probably not because as I stated there is a housing market in the West where you can easily sell a property and divide it up 50/50 and get half each. Over here when you are just spending a couple of million Baht on a house in a place where it is more difficult to sell and the land isn't yours anyway you might as well let her have it and walk away. You can't win a fight about it, just move on. In the UK a woman can always survive without you as well and get government money to pay rent on a new place but here that house may be all the ex has. Just be a man, know you never owned the land and walk away knowing you didn't fit the whiny sterotype and let her have the house after all she probably earned that couple of mil by putting up with you, I know my Mrs has. :o

Your Mrs has put up with him? :D

I will try to explain just a little bit the process.

BTW, I feel that separating the land and the house, IN MANY CASES, is more or less useless. In some, it could be VERY GOOD. It has to do with your "asset" according to civil law. But each situation is different, it depends on the value of the house, the location, the relationship between people, your marital status, inheritance rights, your age, projects on a long or short term, etc. It could be related to other contracts you can have on the land too...

If you REALLY want to separate the land and the house, when you sell a house, you normally have to do some announcements at the amphur and the Tesaban for 30 days. Then you can transfer the house. There are many "legal problems" with this procedure, especially if you are legally married in Thailand. If you are legally married in Thailand, a house (unless part of the Sin Suan Tua and indivisible with the land) could be part of the Sin Somros (common property) meaning ANYWAY, it's 50-50% between spouses.

Why is it so complicated? Because you might have a prenuptial agreement, or in some land department, they might simply refuse to do it.

Other ways (beside the announcements) include having a construction permit on your name, or making a purchase agreement on the house on your name. However, the announcements will clearly affect third parties. Each case is different.

Other contracts like superficies can give you some rights on top on the land (like buildings).

I still believe a usufruct or a lease agreement, on both the land and the house, are reliable, safe and easy. The company route is more expensive and would only fit people having bigger houses, wanting to sell, etc. And I don't enter in the legal aspects of having a THAI company to own a property for a foreigner...This has been discussed HUNDREDS of times here.

...If you REALLY want to separate the land and the house, when you sell a house, you normally have to do some announcements at the amphur and the Tesaban for 30 days. Then you can transfer the house. There are many "legal problems" with this procedure, especially if you are legally married in Thailand.

Other contracts like superficies can give you some rights on top on the land (like buildings).

Wise words indeed. I am currently moving land /house from a company to my Thai wife then setting up a Usufruct. I thought I could do the house in my name - not so says Sunbelt - ah well - didn't want to own the house anyway! :o

'In regarding to the ownership of the land which is to be owned by your wife and the ownership of the house which would be owned by you. We have checked with the land office in Chonburi. I regret to say that they (Land Office) will not register them on a separate owner. Therefore it should be the land and house to your wife.'

One really bad affect of this whole Usufruct setup from my point of view is what happens if my wife dies before me. I wont want to live here and then there is even more mess trying to deal with the situation.

At least with the company setup its easier to sell up and move on.

Edited by dsfbrit

Hi Dsfbrit

If your wife should pass away before you then I would hope that you have setup a good will in Thai & english that your wife wills the property to you. Then you have 1 year in which to sell it or put the land in another Thai name like children if you have any. The usufruct will still be in force until you cancel it before selling.

Regards

Scotsman

I really think it depends on your financial situation...If you are able to walk away from a house and carry on with your life as normal go for it...there are also stories of Thai women spending the best years of their lives with Farangs who get dumped and are left with nothing...This country does not have the welfare system...Farang can just walk away...Farangs have passports enabling them to move to their home countries where at least they have some rights to benefits/ handouts...in Thailand things are different.

I have a very nice house that isn't in my name, no company ownership, do I care ? No, or I wouldn't be in that situation in the first place...Could I afford to walk away and still have a very nice life...Yep...Of course if you're struggling on a pittance in Thailand, your views will be different to mine.

Probably the best summarization of this topic in a long time.

Basically, it's the same as back home. If you have marital assets, in the event of a divorce, you should expect to share them. If you had a close marital relationship with a Thai woman that went tits-up, you should not begrudge her the house in your settlement, as in general, they are not such valuable and appreciating assets like the are in the West.

Now, if it is basically your only asset, they you need to consider if the risk is worth it.

What you SPEND in Thailand STAYS in Thailand

Get that in your head and you will be a happy camper for the rest of your stay :o

HEAR HEAR!!

I have given my Thai lady a total of around 800k THB for the purchase of the land and construction of the house in which she now lives, and in which I shall be living with her when I move out to Thailand from the UK at the end of October. I did this in the full knowledge and acceptance of the fact that I would almost certainly never see any of this 800k THB again in the event of her dying before me or our relationship going pear-shaped. In either eventuality I would then have my current mortgage-free house in the UK - which I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of selling - to return to.

Get that in your head and you will be a happy camper for the rest of your stay :D

HEAR HEAR!!

I have given my Thai lady a total of around 800k THB for the purchase of the land and construction of the house in which she now lives, and in which I shall be living with her when I move out to Thailand from the UK at the end of October.

Blimey Ojas, 800K baht - for land and house in Thailand. How did you manage that !!! I can only admire your achievement! :o

I don't wish to be rude, and I say this 'tongue-in-cheque', but this reminds of the beginning of the Monty Python sketch of 'luxury - I lived in a shoe box with 10 others eating nothing but mud..' or words to that effect.

We could start a thread on how cheaply we live in Thailand.

I would respectfully suggest, that when most farang talk about being concerned about losing property assets in Thailand, its for a bit more than 800k Baht!!. The sums involved usually mean a sizeable chunk of their entire savings being lost. If someone is 'ruined' by the loss of 800k Baht, then sadly they really could not afford to live out here anyway.

Edited by dsfbrit

Get that in your head and you will be a happy camper for the rest of your stay :D

HEAR HEAR!!

I have given my Thai lady a total of around 800k THB for the purchase of the land and construction of the house in which she now lives, and in which I shall be living with her when I move out to Thailand from the UK at the end of October.

800 baht - for land and house in Thailand. How did you manage that !!! I can only admire your achievement! :o

Not everyone lives in an area that has 2 million THB/rai land prices. In fact, it'd be hard to even kill 1/4 of that budget buying land where I have my house.

I don't wish to be rude, and I say this 'tongue-in-cheque', but this reminds of the beginning of the Monty Python sketch of 'luxury - I lived in a shoe box with 10 others eating nothing but mud..' or words to that effect.

Not everyone defines their life by how big of a house they can build. There apparently are others like me that understand the score in Thailand and realise that attempting to be the biggest swinging pen!s in the area by having the most grandiose accomodations (we call it keeping up with the Jonses in the States) leads to nothing but unhappiness. If you lose your wife, either through death or stupidity and don't have the house set up properly what is going to happen to your 'mansion'? If you have the asset set up properly and the government decides that they don't want foreigners owning homes anymore what happens to your 'mansion'?

I would respectfully suggest, that when most farang talk about being concerned about losing property assets in Thailand, its for a bit more than 800k Baht!!.

Ah, well that's the crux of the matter. Those who are content with their 800k or less investment have already realised that it isn't much for them to walk away from. Should things go terribly wrong what's that small amount going to matter?

Hi Dsfbrit

If your wife should pass away before you then I would hope that you have setup a good will in Thai & english that your wife wills the property to you. Then you have 1 year in which to sell it or put the land in another Thai name like children if you have any. The usufruct will still be in force until you cancel it before selling.

Regards

Scotsman

Scotsman, its a fair and valid point. However, its just more aggravation isn't it. Also, every time I get involved with the law in Thailand - there is always (and I mean always!!) a little 'twist' that means the eventual scenario is 'not as advertised on the can'.

For example, the law relating to this 1 year 'amnesty' period you mention above may change, just consider the following that has occurred relating to this Usufruct I am setting up with Sunbelt. This is just to change the shareholder. Hey this is no big deal, its just another little 'twist' I knew nothing about :o

Please notice this regulation is new - so call me overly suspicious, but I suspect the rules relating to the Usufruct could easily change in the next 30 years. Not MY actual Usufruct, but the rules relating to the 1 year amnesty you refer to.

And if they do change it - there is nothing I can do about!

From Sunbelt:

'For your information, the process of changing of shareholders list and the change of director (From you and your wife to another individual) would take around 3-4 Weeks as the new regulation being enforce which require any amendment in any company would need to advertise in the local newspaper and also mailing to the current shareholder'

I wish I had bought a house where OJAS lives, even with my relatively small pension pot - I could walk away from 800k Baht :D

Edited by dsfbrit

At least with the company setup its easier to sell up and move on.

and the clock does not tick like the clock on a lease. selling a house which is on usufruct? i have no idea.

I would advise the OP that if like me he goes through the Usufruct proces, then he should be able to live there for life. It is not his as an asset to sell - and never will be. That of course assumes, like the above post states, that he doesn't live in the village of the the wife's family and upsets them in some big way. A braver man than me for sure to set up a life near the family - either here or back in the UK :o

Edited by dsfbrit

I agree that in all countries the law's can be changed not just in Los But if we are only looking for a little protection in the case of your spouse dieing before you then at the moment this law of 1 year still gives you that. If you have a good loving relationship with your wife and you both decide to sell the property to say move to another part of Thailand then you end your usufruct in order to sell. When or if you buy another property you can again setup a new lifetime usufruct with a new will. The land office in different parts of Thailand may have Different Ideas of the law or just one man in that office so you have to go with what your lawyer can do or get for you at this office. It all depends on how long you want to live in that property, I have lived in my house now for over 8 years and the cost of our house was less than 1 mill but its worth more now in value but very hard to sell in this climate. I could easy walk away from this property if I wanted to as I think Its paid for itself in all the rent I have saved before and in the future. I would also say that my wife deserves the house for all the years of looking after me :o The only reason I had to setup my usufruct was to protect myself from other family members in the unlikey event of my wife passing away before me. Now if the laws did change in the future then I am sure we would find another way around, I don't have any children but my oldest brother"s children are half Thai so I could put our property in there name. There is never a 100% sure way to secure a property in this country but you can only do what you can. That's why we should not invest in property because its not an investment only a home to live in so only buy what you can easily walk away from or just rent.

Regards

Scotsman

HEAR HEAR!!

800 baht - for land and house in Thailand. How did you manage that !!! I can only admire your achievement! :o

Not everyone lives in an area that has 2 million THB/rai land prices. In fact, it'd be hard to even kill 1/4 of that budget buying land where I have my house.

Not everyone defines their life by how big of a house they can build. There apparently are others like me that understand the score in Thailand and realise that attempting to be the biggest swinging pen!s in the area by having the most grandiose accomodations (we call it keeping up with the Jonses in the States) leads to nothing but unhappiness. If you lose your wife, either through death or stupidity and don't have the house set up properly what is going to happen to your 'mansion'? If you have the asset set up properly and the government decides that they don't want foreigners owning homes anymore what happens to your 'mansion'?

I would respectfully suggest, that when most farang talk about being concerned about losing property assets in Thailand, its for a bit more than 800k Baht!!.

Ah, well that's the crux of the matter. Those who are content with their 800k or less investment have already realised that it isn't much for them to walk away from. Should things go terribly wrong what's that small amount going to matter?

Many thanks for your comments, dave_boo, which echo my sentiments entirely. "My" Thai house is, in fact, a modest bungalow off the ex-pat track in Rayong province - and certainly not a gated "millionaires' row" mansion with Keep Out signs in English & Thai like I saw near Pattaya on my last Thai visit at Songkran. It has all the creature comforts which I need for a satisfying day-to-day existence. And my lady is more than capable of serving up something rather more substantial than mud at mealtimes without causing the (i.e. my) bank to be busted :D

Reading through this thread - and so many others - it strikes me how unhappy so many farang are with their lives in Thailand and - presumably - in their relationships.

I pity them. They've transplanted their miserable relationships in the west to miserable untrusting relationships here.

What, I wonder, is the common denominator?

I wonder what is the common denominator for people who like to judge other people on flimsy grounds and use innuendo. Unhappy youth or inferiority complex? Problems in the oral phase? I really wonder.

May you enjoy this Arab saying which I just invented for the occasion: "Quick judges, empty heads."

No thanks.

Reading through this thread - and so many others - it strikes me how unhappy so many farang are with their lives in Thailand and - presumably - in their relationships.

I pity them. They've transplanted their miserable relationships in the west to miserable untrusting relationships here.

What, I wonder, is the common denominator?

I wonder what is the common denominator for people who like to judge other people on flimsy grounds and use innuendo. Unhappy youth or inferiority complex? Problems in the oral phase? I really wonder.

May you enjoy this Arab saying which I just invented for the occasion: "Quick judges, empty heads."

No thanks.

I think good on the folks who have had the sense to realise that relationships can go from beautiful to disaster zone within a short space of time, and have had the good foresight to worry and prepare for it. Not everyone wants to give a house away, but they want a fair split and will do what they can to ensure that happens.

Which leads me to a question...if a condo is bought in joint names (which I believe is possible), can a lawyer easily draw up a document for a straight 50/50 split? Likewise, if a condo is in the husband's name but he also wishes to give his wife confidence that she would get half if things went wrong, is that easily drawn up?