It's Soooo Quiet Now

thaibeachlovers

Just arrived yesterday, and astounded at how few visitors are about.

Most of the bars outside walking Street have but 1 or 2 customers ( at 9 pm ), shops mainly deserted, The Avenue Mall virtually empty of shoppers ( just who do they think is going to support the 100s of new shops in the big new mall, not yet open? ), and plenty of room to move on the streets.

Even Walking Street is quiet ( and where have all the Russians gone? ). I had no trouble finding one of those comfy armchairs at Lucky Star, where before they were all filled.

I know it's low season, but this seems exceptional.

I guess the situation is not helped by the rapidly vanishing pound which is now 10 bht down on a year ago, and does not look like going back up anytime soon.

Haven't been around long enough to get an idea if bar fines etc gone up overall, but doesn't seem promising.

Only bright spot is my fav hotel still same price and a bargain at 500bht including breakfast.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the bars outside walking Street have but 1 or 2 customers ( at 9 pm ), shops mainly deserted, The Avenue Mall virtually empty of shoppers ( just who do they think is going to support the 100s of new shops in the big new mall, not yet open? ), and plenty of room to move on the streets. well this is low season, have you ever been to Blackpool in January?

Even Walking Street is quiet ( and where have all the Russians gone? ). Georgia? I had no trouble finding one of those comfy armchairs at Lucky Star, where before they were all filled.

I know it's low season, but this seems exceptional. Well do you not listen to the news? there is a global recession on at this time.

I guess the situation is not helped by the rapidly vanishing pound which is now 10 bht down on a year ago, and does not look like going back up anytime soon. It was up a bit a few weeks ago but has fallen again.

Haven't been around long enough to get an idea if bar fines etc gone up overall, but doesn't seem promising.

Only bright spot is my fav hotel still same price and a bargain at 500bht including breakfast.

Most of the bars outside walking Street have but 1 or 2 customers ( at 9 pm ), shops mainly deserted, The Avenue Mall virtually empty of shoppers ( just who do they think is going to support the 100s of new shops in the big new mall, not yet open? ), and plenty of room to move on the streets. well this is low season, have you ever been to Blackpool in January?

Even Walking Street is quiet ( and where have all the Russians gone? ). Georgia? I had no trouble finding one of those comfy armchairs at Lucky Star, where before they were all filled.

I know it's low season, but this seems exceptional. Well do you not listen to the news? there is a global recession on at this time.

I guess the situation is not helped by the rapidly vanishing pound which is now 10 bht down on a year ago, and does not look like going back up anytime soon. It was up a bit a few weeks ago but has fallen again.

I've never been to Blackpool in January, but I've been to Pattaya plenty of times in the low season, and it's never been this quiet before.

If you had waited long enough to read between the lines, you might know why I posted this! ( and I don't want to get banned so I'm not going to explain it, either. Those that need to know will understand. )

Which is? :o

Sawasdee Court, soi to the left across from Soi 10 on 2nd Rd. No lift is the only drawback.

What do you expect for 500Thb? 5 star facilities with a 3 star Michelin restaurant and a tuck-down service? :D

(P.S. I posted this before I read your post above, please take no offense, I am only having a bit of fun.)

BB

Edited by Basil B

Fact

last week flew with Thai from Heathrow. 747 had approx 70 people out of 300. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY had a row to themselves and there were empty rows between rows. Interesting I have never seen an 747 like that and sounds like it may be the same ex USA as well

I just saw an old video from Walking street, taken maybe 10 years ago (before it was WALKING street) You would be VERY surprised how dead it was then compared to now.

I remember it well, and I was there when they started it.

It actually took a few years to catch on, and become as popular with strollers as it is now. They even put out tables and chairs as a sort of "beer garden" to try and attract customers down there.

Till the Russians came, the far end was pretty dead for many years, as few strollers went far past what was then Simon Cabaret.

Best thing that ever happened for us farangs that like to look at cool chicks walking around.

Sawasdee Court, soi to the left across from Soi 10 on 2nd Rd. No lift is the only drawback.

What do you expect for 500Thb? 5 star facilities with a 3 star Michelin restaurant and a tuck-down service? :D

Gee Basil,

didn't get it last night eh!

Gee Basil,

No

Fact

last week flew with Thai from Heathrow. 747 had approx 70 people out of 300. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY had a row to themselves and there were empty rows between rows. Interesting I have never seen an 747 like that and sounds like it may be the same ex USA as well

Was that on a weekday ( not Fri. )? I'm actually not that surprised this time of year, and with the recession/ fuel tax starting to bite. I only flew myself as bought ticket before the fuel tax was increased ( thanks for the warning Thai Visa ).

I also think that Thai needs to upgrade the planes from UK, as people will choose airlines that offer seat back TV if the price is the same, and there are other airlines that offer direct flights.

I flew on Thursday, and despite combining an Air NZ flight, there were still lots of empty seats.

If this is indeed the start of a reduction in family tourists from the UK to Thailand, there will be more than a few sad investors that are building all the new malls etc in Pattaya ( good! ).

Gee Basil,

No

Thought so!

No Russian, even if just released from a Gulag concentration camp, would be that miserable.

They never go under 1200B.

It's not being miserable, just leaves more money for "fun".

Seems to me that the Russian guys are always with a ( Russian ) woman, so of course they have to spend more for a better room to keep the woman sweet, as they want to have "fun" too.

Gee Basil,

No

Thought so!

My excuse is that I am stuck back in old Blighty, what I want to know what you are doing posting at what must 23:30 when as you said: quote "you might know why I posted this! ( and I don't want to get banned so I'm not going to explain it, either. Those that need to know will understand. )"?

BB

Gee Basil,

No

Thought so!

My excuse is that I am stuck back in old Blighty, what I want to know what you are doing posting at what must 23:30 when as you said: quote "you might know why I posted this! ( and I don't want to get banned so I'm not going to explain it, either. Those that need to know will understand. )"?

BB

Well I'm in a happier place than you!!!

The only hint I'm going to give is that there are so many lonely young women here ( without any prospect of a boyfriend tonight as there are so few farangs around ), and they would really be happy to see a few more fellas about.

As for myself, there are many visually challenged young ladies around who think that i am a hansum man, and I really would like to get to know them better, so nighty night.

Does it have a swimming pool?

My favorite is Honey Lodge which is on the street where all of the traffic turns right before Walking Street very close to Beach Road.

Swimming pool, air-con, cable TV, a little run down with no lift. 500-600 baht.

My favorite is Honey Lodge which is on the street where all of the traffic turns right before Walking Street very close to Beach Road.

Swimming pool, air-con, cable TV, a little run down with no lift. 500-600 baht.

No. Personally don't care as never use them.

Been staying there since '96, so must be satisfied, even if it is a little run down. I did stop going for a while due to a very noisy bar across the road, but thankfully that has closed.

The staff have always been friendly, which to me is more important than the decor.

It's "guest friendly" if that makes a difference.

They replaced the furniture recently, which really did make a difference as the original stuff was literally falling apart.

IMO, it's the best of the cheaper Sawasdee Hotels.

Fact

and yet their tickets were still over £650.

Fact

and yet their tickets were still over £650.

My tickets were booked using a special birth date promotion with Thia air Gold (half points)

However last week I booked a flight with Emirates BKK-SYD-BKK sept 16 for 18,000bht return INC TAX. My mate put me onto it and he got the same deal ex SYDNEY. I mentioned it here just recently and got a few p/ms from people with thanks for getting the same fair. Goes to show you things are tough if you can fly to BKK for under half price but bums on chairs at low fairs are better than nothing. Good on Emirates for showing some initiative

My favorite is Honey Lodge which is on the street where all of the traffic turns right before Walking Street very close to Beach Road. Swimming pool, air-con, cable TV, a little run down with no lift. 500-600 baht.

is that the price for a 2-bedroom suite?

>... as people will choose airlines that offer seat back TV if the price is the same,

With airlines now counting the fuel-cost-weight of every bread roll and extra napkin, I think you will find that seat back TV and free entertainment systems are no longer in fashion with their accounts departments.

Long haul will indeed sell on price - but I see it all becoming more low-cost than extra service.

Fact

When I flew back to the States on the 27th of July my NWA flights were crammed full......must have been near 98% occupancy on the A330 to NRT and the 744 to MSP.

I just checked the seating for my flight to BKK next week (I have good seats but I'm always looking for BETTER!) and noticed both legs appear LESS THAN half full at 7 days out. Not good for the airlines or the merchants in LOS, but I think I'll have some room to stretch out............

I have reservations in a nearly new 55 m2 studio in the Soi Bhuakow area: 13k for the month+ electric.

~WISteve