PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

Shameful...

NBT has just shown video of PAD supporters literally forcing their way past police protecting the VIP rooms at the airport - obviously causing panic amongst passengers waiting there.

Definitely no violence on the part of the police - but the PAD supporters should be ashamed of themselves.

Much more shameful things and even death happen to tourists here on a daily basis.

No one was even touched. Don't rely on NBT for all your news.

Nothing

But

Trash

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shameful...

NBT has just shown video of PAD supporters literally forcing their way past police protecting the VIP rooms at the airport - obviously causing panic amongst passengers waiting there.

Definitely no violence on the part of the police - but the PAD supporters should be ashamed of themselves.

Much more shameful things and even death happen to tourists here on a daily basis.

Nothing

But

Trash

In fairness, these people are trying to overthrow a government, I dont' think shame is big on their list of priorities

Now here's a news source that calls a spade a spade......

Thai riot police confront protesters in Thaksin's compound

Bangkok: Hundreds of Thai riot police confronted thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Friday, with protests spreading across Thailand and forcing the airport in Phuket to close, Thai Airways said.

"Flights have been suspended because the airport authorities have announced that the airport is closed," a Thai Airways spokeswoman said.

Earlier on Friday, hundreds of Thai riot police entered the occupied compound of the prime minister's office to deliver a court order for the eviction of protesters there.

Scuffles broke out between police and sentries posted by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which occupied the seat of government on Tuesday.

The 4,000 PAD protesters have vowed to remain inside the Government House compound until Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s administration falls.

- Gulf News (U.A.E.)

http://www.gulfnews.com/world/Thailand/10241011.html

Both NBT and ASTV are now showing the violence. At least two policemen wielded/used their batons - clear as day. Some other people injured as well but it is not clear what caused their injuries, whether they fell or were trampled, etc.

I think those two policemen need to be made to answer for their actions - but for the most part the rest of the police simply used their riot shields.

So "brutality" at best can be used to describe an isolated incident or two. It hardly qualifies in the general sense.

Shameful...

Nothing

But

Trash

Tony, it was clear as day - recorded on video. I'm not relying on what they say, but what I see.

Both NBT and ASTV are now showing the violence. At least two policemen wielded/used their batons - clear as day. Some other people injured as well but it is not clear what caused their injuries, whether they fell or were trampled, etc.

I think those two policemen need to be made to answer for their actions - but for the most part the rest of the police simply used their riot shields.

So "brutality" at best can be used to describe an isolated incident or two. It hardly qualifies in the general sense.

Most of them weren't even wearing full riot gear.

With a police force one one side, and a group on the other, I am absolutely astounded everyone was so amazingly restrained. There was one clear shot where a protestor threw a pretty good right hook at one copper and all he did was keep pushing with his shield.

Throw a punch at a policeman in most parts of the world while he is holding a truncheon and see how long you stay standing.

There were cameras everywhere throughout the whole thing with people with red cross singlets telling the coppers to behave as though it was some bizarre WWF event. Brutality, obviously not to many people have seen crowd control in South Korea.

With a police force one one side, and a group on the other, I am absolutely astounded everyone was so amazingly restrained. There was one clear shot where a protestor threw a pretty good right hook at one copper and all he did was keep pushing with his shield.

Throw a punch at a policeman in most parts of the world while he is holding a truncheon and see how long you stay standing.

There were cameras everywhere throughout the whole thing with people with red cross singlets telling the coppers to behave as though it was some bizarre WWF event. Brutality, obviously not to many people have seen crowd control in South Korea.

Makes you wonder - this was clearly recorded during the day. Why is it they had to wait until 11:00 pm to deliver the CD - and until 1:15 AM to show it? Most news that I know of is shown minutes, at most a couple of hours, after it takes place.

I think it's pretty clear that they were relying on the couple of incidents to be able to use the word "brutality" in a vague sense to convey the impression that this brutality was widespread. Not saying there wasn't brutal force used - clearly there was - but to repeatedly claim Thai police brutality throughout the day is nothing but spin.

Edited by onethailand

Makes you wonder - this was clearly recorded during the day. Why is it they had to wait until 11:00 pm to deliver the CD - and until 1:15 AM to show it? Most news that I know of is shown minutes, at most a couple of hours, after it takes place.

I think it's pretty clear that they were relying on the couple of incidents to be able to use the word "brutality" in a vague sense to convey the impression that this brutality was widespread. Not saying there wasn't brutal force used - clearly there was - but to repeatedly claim Thai police brutality throughout the day is nothing but spin.

I don't know, but when I got a feverish phone call from my wife to turn on the TV because the police were attacking this morning, I was expecting to see water cannon, fully clothed riot police, and tear gas. It ended up in a bizarre kind of group hug and it didn't appear that a blow was made in earnest from what I watched.

I don't doubt there have been injuries, but I don't really think anyone could call the police conduct brutal. It is a scrum of people pushing. Inevitably people get hurt. It could have been a hel_l of a lot worse, and I don't doubt that 90% of these police don't like to have their authority challenged like this. They could be showering every site with tear gas and believe me, no one would stay.

hel_l, 20 years ago, they hung student protestors in Korat.

This from 'The statesman' 40 mins. ago;

Emergency on cards if Thai rioting worsens

Associated Press

BANGKOK, Aug. 29: Thailand's prime minister says he would consider declaring a state of emergency if anti-government rioting gets worse. Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej spoke today after two meetings with the country’s military chiefs to discuss the increasing unrest in Bangkok’s streets caused by protesters seeking his resignation.

Mr Samak said he had ordered police to withdraw from confronting demonstrators because he hoped to calm down the situation, in which both sides scuffled roughly in the street.

But he said that after a ceremony honouring Thailand’s royal family tomorrow, he will consider declaring a state of emergency if the situation deteriorates. That would allow suspending some legal procedures to restore the peace.

Thai police retreated from the prime minister's office compound today afternoon, seeking to defuse tensions with thousands of protesters who have occupied the site for nearly four days. Earlier today, tensions escalated when police muscled into the site to deliver a court eviction order to the members of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, who are seeking the ouster of Mr Sundaravej. Several minor injuries were reported throughout the day as brief skirmishes erupted around the perimeter of the compound and in nearby streets.

“The situation was very volatile and a clash was likely if we pushed on,” police spokesman Mr Surapol Tuantong told the NBT TV network. “We have given way to let them back into the government house to prevent a clash. All security forces have left the government compound.”

“The army will not stage a coup, the political crisis should be resolved by political means,” said Gen. Anupong Paochinda.

Edited by PaddyThai

“The army will not stage a coup, the political crisis should be resolved by political means,” said Gen. Anupong Paochinda.

It's disturbing that in Thailand the government and the military are two seperate entities who need to negotiate with one another. Is it ever going to be possible for any elected party to govern without total control of the military?

Democracy in Thailand is a distant pipedream.

Edited by tropo

That's always seemed one of the major problems to me. The Military and the Police need to be subordinate to whatever form of parliament exists as the expression of democracy. Ranking military or police ought to be required to resign their commissions before they can become MPs.

That's always seemed one of the major problems to me. The Military and the Police need to be subordinate to whatever form of parliament exists as the expression of democracy.

Ranking military or police ought to be required to resign their commissions before they can become MPs.

Family Matters...

Elite Family Matters.

That's why this country is so sick. It's all about detaining POWER.

LaoPo

For the record, I believe that the voting requirements will be changed for the next election. I don't see this Wiki thing being discussed this morning, but rather an educational requirement to qualify to vote which would be enforced. It would lead to local village heads pushing education which would be an upside, but for the time being would remove the threat of Thaksin incarnates continually being elected.

That is just my view and I expect a lot will disagree.

I am sure that many would disagree OMR, including myself because it denies the common man/women the right to vote.

BUT... After THINKING about it, does Thailand have any hope for Democracy without idea's such as this? It clearly is not working as it is now.

But what a paradoxy! How can a democracy be a democracy whilst actively denying certain people the right to vote? Well i S'pose that that is an impossibilty.

So what happens in the meantime? Should Thailand be allowed to carry on as it is, democratic for the sake of democracy and being raped for all it has by the selfish C**T's at the top. Or should a "Mediator" be appointed whilst this fledgling democracy to mature?

Is it possible to not have a democracy without communism or a dictatorship? Is there a "middle way"?

The mind boggles.

I don't understand how the PPP voters have indicated a lack of education. They voted for the party that they believed, with some cause in my opinion, best represented their interests. EVERY educated person votes that way. (Perhaps the voters who need an education requirement are those in the South who consistently vote for a party that has shown much less concern for the poor).

As far as vote buying, a recent study at a NY university (can't recall) showed that over half would sell their vote for- I think it was- an ipod.

When the people in the north east have seen governments come to the fore which did not seek to significantly address the problems of the NE, the people did not riot on the streets. They did exactly what educated voters in a democracy should do- they waited till the next election and then selected candidates who they believed would more effectively serve their interests. And if there were scandals attached to the government of the day, they allowed the courts to take their course.

I hope that this call that we hear over and over again for better educated- doesn't mean that a truly educated person would vote in the best interests of the Bangkok middle class.

Yes there is a need for education- but what will its content be- will it be to educated people for personal empowerment? Or to fit more synchroniously into a system which depends on their cheap labor and blind obedience to authority.

One hour without a post. No news, no comments and no flames. Now I am worried. Very worried.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7588915.stm

Sorry if this BBC link has already been posted.

Pretty dramatic stuff.

I suppose the PAD will call it Police brutality when a mob attacks a Police station and is repelled. :o

or perhaps they'll have the media verify their location and actions...

police were deployed to guard the police headquarters, as protesters rallied outside. Teargas was used to disperse the crowd.
Tear gas was reportedly used to disperse anti-government protesters staging a rally outside the Metropolitan Police Headquarters

For the record, I believe that the voting requirements will be changed for the next election. I don't see this Wiki thing being discussed this morning, but rather an educational requirement to qualify to vote which would be enforced. It would lead to local village heads pushing education which would be an upside, but for the time being would remove the threat of Thaksin incarnates continually being elected.

That is just my view and I expect a lot will disagree.

Well it might set up a business much like English teachers and the Kao San degrees. hel_l they can't even check if current MP's have real degrees let alone the entire population. It still doesn't guarantee that the PAD will get the party they want anyway and who says educated people can't be bought?

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen.

There are a lot of holes in it, I know, but there are upsides when you think about it. It may create an incentive for people to get an education and it would satisfy certain power groups for the time being.

Not even the hard and fast PAD supporters would go for it, (I hope). If they are such average Joe's half of them may not have high school diplomas. Ironically people drive cars and have guns which can kill people without having a valid license, but voting would require proof of education.

How about preventing gays, moslems or katoeys from voting. Anyone agree now?

I'm sure General Panlop would agree with that suggestion!

Seriously, though, it would fit in with the generally elitist views of PAD's Bangkok suporters.

Maybe we need to take a step back here. There's no democracy I can think of that's arrived at perfection (vide USA, UK - those paragons). It takes TIME. Hundreds of years. Remember rotten boroughs? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_and_pocket_boroughs). The UK got rid of them eventually, but it took a long time.

The fact is we have, on the one side, an utterly corrupt and discredited, yet legally elected government (yes, yes, I know - corruption, vote buying etc, but they all do that, even in so-called super-democracies) stocked with odious people who are only after the money and don't plan to leave until they've got lots of it - which is why Samak's not quit yet.

On the other side in the current fight is a non-elected group whose leaders pitch themselves as saintly and peace-loving ("No! Don't hit that policeman!") but who actually believe that most people in this country are too bloody thick to elect a decent government, and therefore plan to kick out the foundations of democracy and set up some kind of nasty appointed plutocratic system.

Who is Sondhi? Was he ever elected to anything? Is he even a good businessman? Er, no. Is he clean? Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondhi_Limtho....281997-2001.29 and decide for yourself. Yet he has the arrogance to suggest that the average Thai (outside Bkk, of course) is too dim to know what's good for him/her.

Who's Chamlong? Sometimes charming and apparently utterly incorruptible. How did he become governor of Bkk? He was elected! So the system does work sometimes in favour of the righteous. But now he's getting bored because political nibbana is not arriving fast enough. Sigh.

The Samak governnment is odious, money-grubbing, divisive, ugly, incompetent and lots of otehr pejoratives, but it's still sort of "democratic". The PAD is absolutely not. It's never formed a polutical party. It's never run for election. If Sondhi has his way, how long will it be before the average dirt-poor farmer, thick though he may be, gets any say in anything? Not in Sondhi's lifetime, at least.

One does have to hope that the military stick by their statements that they will not launch another coup. It might be popular if they do launch one, but it opens the door to Sondhi killing democracy for many years. It would be a huge setback.

As Winston Churchill said, "Democracy is the worst form of government…except for all the others."

Beautifully put, iforget. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

PADisters tend to forget that it it is not that I love Samak/PPP/TRT or whatever, it's just that I (and probably many others) detest the quasi-fascist views of Sondhi, and fear for the future if people like Gen Panlop are playing any key role.

it's just that I (and probably many others) detest the quasi-fascist views of Sondhi, and fear for the future if people like Gen Panlop are playing any key role.

Though I would agree wholeheartedly with that, I also don't believe that they would be able to carry many of those supporting them now down the road to any form of dictatorship. I doubt many of the demonstrators are there in support of the complete Sondhi platform. If it becomes clear that some of the PAD really do intend to go there, I think people will turn on them.

A lot of twists and turns to come.

Now maybe people are starting to get the idea. I have posted before that Sondhi does NOT have both oars in the water and is a self serving mentally disturbed liar and crook. His main ally, Samlong, changes coats whenever something does not perfectly suit him. He will soon change coats again when he finds himself subject to the dictator that PAD will install. Thailand is heading backwards to become yet again a banana republic. Sad indeed.

I don't understand how the PPP voters have indicated a lack of education. They voted for the party that they believed, with some cause in my opinion, best represented their interests. EVERY educated person votes that way. (Perhaps the voters who need an education requirement are those in the South who consistently vote for a party that has shown much less concern for the poor).

As far as vote buying, a recent study at a NY university (can't recall) showed that over half would sell their vote for- I think it was- an ipod.

Most of the people in our Thai society still thinks that democracy is accepting money from the party. EVERY "educated" Thai person votes that way, in the South, North, East, Central, everywhere. Don't think that the government is interested to educate our people, especially in rural area, in YOUR "real" way of democracy. That would mean loss of control and power. It will take probably 50 years to change all this - the old Thai elite and powerful families have to die out first.