Bkk To Chiang Mai

bendix

I'm driving up to Chiang Mai this week (yes, I could fly, but I want to drive). It seems there are two key routes, one following Highway 1 all the way through Tak etc, and one diverting via Phitsanulok. I've never been on either route and it seems they are the same distance.

So my question is - which is the better to drive?

Any thoughts?

I'm driving up to Chiang Mai this week (yes, I could fly, but I want to drive). It seems there are two key routes, one following Highway 1 all the way through Tak etc, and one diverting via Phitsanulok. I've never been on either route and it seems they are the same distance.

So my question is - which is the better to drive?

Any thoughts?

The route through Tak is mostly preferred by us 'lazy' drivers. Going through Phitsanulok, it is much prettier, and a bit slower as far as time goes. I like a long 'cruise' style, so I prefer going through Tak. :o

But there are a couple of Cop Stops around Tak, and none that I have seen from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai

Uttaradit to Lampang on Highway 11 is windy two-lane mountain road for the most part. Much more scenic than Highway 1 but slower. Apart from that Highway 11 is four-lane as is Highway 117 from Nakhon Sawan to Phitsanulok. Highway 1 is all four-lane from Nakhon Sawan to Lampang.

What's the speed limit on highway #1 to avoid being caught by coppers/speed traps?

100kmh?

Whatever the policman feels like--the've fined me twice, on this very same road [ in last 8 years, I drive it a lot] and 'claimed' I was going 110 KM. when I know I was under 100--plus I've been overtaken by several cars doing well over 100KM and a police truck was in the queue--so, just slow down when you see BIB ahead, and never speak Thai with them. BTW there's one Police check 30 KM north of Kamphaeng Phet, a couple in the Thoen district [ plus several between Tak and Maesot, but you will not be going this way unless you really want 'scenic'--i.e. Mae Sariang--Mae Hong Son-Chiang Mai]

What's the speed limit on highway #1 to avoid being caught by coppers/speed traps?

100kmh?

Whatever the policman feels like--the've fined me twice, on this very same road [ in last 8 years, I drive it a lot] and 'claimed' I was going 110 KM. when I know I was under 100--plus I've been overtaken by several cars doing well over 100KM and a police truck was in the queue--so, just slow down when you see BIB ahead, and never speak Thai with them. BTW there's one Police check 30 KM north of Kamphaeng Phet, a couple in the Thoen district [ plus several between Tak and Maesot, but you will not be going this way unless you really want 'scenic'--i.e. Mae Sariang--Mae Hong Son-Chiang Mai]

You mean whenever they need coffee money even when you drive at a road hogging speed of 90kmh?

So what happens when they "claimed" you were going 110kmh, and you reply in English, "It is only 90kmh"? Must you still give tea money ?

Are the police checks you mentioned routine id/passport checks or speed checks?

What rubbish advice!!

If you CAN speak Thai then OF COURSE you speak Thai with the cop. What other message than "I'm a clueless newbie, sign me up for 2000 baht" would it send to NOT speak Thai or at least let some experience show if you genuinely don't speak the language?!

As for the maximum speed, this depends on the vehicle. If it's a pick-up then the maximum speed is lower compared to a passenger car.

Your main concern should be: What speed is SAFE to drive! And this is most probably not a whole lot faster than 100 km/h, possibly 120 on some stretches.

Anyway, if you get stopped by police and you know you weren't speeding (by too much :o ) then simply deny everything until they get bored and consider it's easier to just grab the next guy who may be a doofus and pay up.

What rubbish advice!!

If you CAN speak Thai then OF COURSE you speak Thai with the cop. What other message than "I'm a clueless newbie, sign me up for 2000 baht" would it send to NOT speak Thai or at least let some experience show if you genuinely don't speak the language?!

As for the maximum speed, this depends on the vehicle. If it's a pick-up then the maximum speed is lower compared to a passenger car.

Your main concern should be: What speed is SAFE to drive! And this is most probably not a whole lot faster than 100 km/h, possibly 120 on some stretches.

Anyway, if you get stopped by police and you know you weren't speeding (by too much :o ) then simply deny everything until they get bored and consider it's easier to just grab the next guy who may be a doofus and pay up.

I think the rubbish advice is yours. Best to simply pay the 200 baht and be on your way

100kmh?

I think the legal limit is 90kph for pickups and 100 for sedans. I do the round trip about once a month and up to 120 is usually tolerated. The police use radar and at the moment the most common trap is between the north end of the Nakhon Sawan bypass (Nong Ben area) and the Chang Brewery at Klong Klung. There is also a frequent one at Km 475 between Ban Tak and Thoen. There are a few other inspection places but these are not for speeding.

Speeding is usually 100 baht if you don't have to get out of the car. Maybe I get discount as a frequent customer.

What rubbish advice!!

If you CAN speak Thai then OF COURSE you speak Thai with the cop. What other message than 'I'm a clueless newbie, sign me up for 2000 baht' would it send to NOT speak Thai or at least let some experience show if you genuinely don't speak the language?!

Anyway, if you get stopped by police and you know you weren't speeding then simply deny everything until they get bored and consider it's easier to just grab the next guy who may be a doofus and pay up.

I think the rubbish advice is yours. Best to simply pay the 200 baht and be on your way

Up to you, if you want to encourage further corruption and think this is a great aspect of life in Thailand, and want to confirm the stereotype that Farangs are easily shaken out of some money then by all means do so. :o

What rubbish advice!!

If you CAN speak Thai then OF COURSE you speak Thai with the cop. What other message than 'I'm a clueless newbie, sign me up for 2000 baht' would it send to NOT speak Thai or at least let some experience show if you genuinely don't speak the language?!

Up to you, if you want to encourage further corruption and think this is a great aspect of life in Thailand, and want to confirm the stereotype that Farangs are easily shaken out of some money then by all means do so. :D

If that is your belief, then too bad for you and any cop that deals with you. This happens to ALL Drivers, and isn't just for farangs. I have been caught speeding maybe a dozen times here in 20+ years, each time paying 200 baht. I even got receipts. I figure why make a hassle for myself, paying 200 baht for speeding is a LOT cheaper and easier than home, and A LOT easier than being a pain in the ass farang :D

Edited by Ajarn

They see perfectly well in the dark, except they'd be looking at chicks in mini skirts and bottles of Chang. :o

Last post by Ajarn is fair enough: if indeed you are speeding then it's perfectly acceptable to pay the fine. There are of course also plenty examples of people being stopped for little reason (indeed, everyone is stopped, including Thais) but Thais too just talk/negotiate with police, which was my main point. Sitting there like a deaf mute (as advocated in the post I was responding to) isn't going to help anyone anyway. If you then pay the fine or negotiate it down is all fine with me.

They see perfectly well in the dark, except they'd be looking at chicks in mini skirts and bottles of Chang. :o

Last post by Ajarn is fair enough: if indeed you are speeding then it's perfectly acceptable to pay the fine. There are of course also plenty examples of people being stopped for little reason (indeed, everyone is stopped, including Thais) but Thais too just talk/negotiate with police, which was my main point. Sitting there like a deaf mute (as advocated in the post I was responding to) isn't going to help anyone anyway. If you then pay the fine or negotiate it down is all fine with me.

Excellent advice indeed. If you speed, then you have to pay the price.

If you drive below 100kmh, and the coppers hail you down, then it's not fair to pay, right?

If you have time, better talk/negotiate, otherwise pay if you are in a hurry.

I think whether you talk in Thai or English, may or may not make a difference.

It depends on the scenario, the coppers mood & personality & so on etc etc.

Everything is so fluid....

Speed limit on Thai roads is 90 km/h. Some of the 4/6 lane highways in central parts of Los may have a higher limit which will be well signed. Keep under 90 and there should'n be much trouble.

Make sure you slow down when you see the yellow signs saying "city limit - reduce speed" If driving through villages I recommend 60 km/h.

I've been driving all over Thailand, been stopped many times, both on my Norwegian and later Thai driving licence, and never been asked for money, except for the few times I've been caught speeding, in which cases I've gladly paid 100/200 bath.

Being polite, smile and a few thai words normally do the trick - at least this is my experience :o