State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

I am a firm supporter of PAD and the protest....It has always been a peaceful protest, in hopes of stopping further corruption and theft of the country to benefit a few at the top.

RIGHT ON!!! I can't believe how many of the farangs posting on here have so little respect for the brave protesters who are standing up for a fair share of the pie, standing up to these elite few who steal from the common man. Does anybody remember the cival rights movement in America and MLK Jr. ???

I don't think this can be emphasized enough. There isn't very much difference between Sondhi and Thaksin at all. Good friends/business partners at one point. And then clearly, they had a falling out. Sondhi has been a pain in the government's bum ever since. ...

Continuing mob attacks of the goverment is certainly reminiscent of 1930s Germany.

surprised, red historian? and 1933 adolf hitler came as the saviour, just like ceo toxin, but there was no pad those days so he prevailed and seized absolute power and dictatorship by amending the constitution and making 'emergency laws' with his puppet lawmakers. you know how this 'elected & lawful government' ended. do you want his history to repeat in thailand?

Hitler or newer in history Bush.....A coup or Demonstrations without police or army is doing something and how many people wouldn't die.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi.

Someone mentioned that the DAAD has re-grouped in Samut Prakan? Is there any news that something happened there, such as fighting? Because i've seen 8 ambulances (with sirens/flashing lights) go in that direction during the last 5 or 6 minutes. I can overview Bangna Intersection from my room and they all went towards Samut Prakan, coming from Bangkok/Sukhumvit, the Expressway and Bangna-Trat directions.

Best regards.....

Thanh

(edit) 9th just gone through.

Probably alcohol poisoning or maybe they are getting so confused over there, that they are beating on each other.

...Haven,t seen her in this state since i gave her 25 satang extra in her allowances. Yes i know i,m far to generous, but then again my mortgage is paid for back home and i,m comfortably well off in dear old Thailand as wel as back home, as are a great many other expats out here, contrary to arrogant belief of a certain poster who,s monica escapes me, on another related thread. ON a serious note, where does the present situation go from here apart from in the negative and more unruly behaviour from the people behind todays scenario. ?marshbags :o

thank you, in all this serious mess you made me laugh with your generosity. would you please disclose your bank account details so that all sympathizers can deliver their fair share of the 25 satang as a clear sign of support to all goodwilling and hardfighting people.

Hi.

Someone mentioned that the DAAD has re-grouped in Samut Prakan? Is there any news that something happened there, such as fighting? Because i've seen 8 ambulances (with sirens/flashing lights) go in that direction during the last 5 or 6 minutes. I can overview Bangna Intersection from my room and they all went towards Samut Prakan, coming from Bangkok/Sukhumvit, the Expressway and Bangna-Trat directions.

Best regards.....

Thanh

(edit) 9th just gone through.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30082400

I am on the way that I forget to be a pacifist....

Speaking to the neighbour whom I have known for 10 years, and is a furvent watcher of ASTV and even more furvent anti-PPP/TRT, she had absolutely no idea about this 70:30 proposal and absolutely no idea about Sondhi's previous financial wranglings with Thaksin.

She is a lovely woman, probably the typical PAD supporter, but she has no idea of any possible underhand agendas behind these protests.

yes because the 70:30 was a proposal nothing more.....long time forgotten...

Not just a proposal, but a fundamental core belief of the PAD leadership. Funny how the BBC, the Wall Street Journal and ?every other source quoted here mention this as a cornerstone of their policy, but , Oh My!, how you would love to believe that it would all be forgotten!

Not forgotten, but not necessarily more than an older utterance.

Pretty simple if you know large news organizations. They collate a subect file.

All reports go into there and it gets re-consulted vs new information coming in.

If no clear contradiction comes in, it stays pat. It need not be re-enforced either.

It's just in there for good or il.

Reporters like sensation, it they think they can cherry pick a good story from

the global data they will, then it gets kept top of the file longer.

This goes double for international news services.

I have friends from NY News One, shot camera for them twice back when,

and Reuters. My friend is an editor there and CBS. I have been in both news rooms too.

When updating a story for air it is the guy on the ground who MAY add new data if any,

if just new pictures, it's up to the editor in the booth and whatever he wants to pick

to back up editorial direction and fill the space he wants to fill.

So old lines keep coming back even if the utter or long since has forgotten them.

Ever read a Hollywood Stars obit? Same thing file info dredged up from the past

by some intern, veted in 3 minutes flat by a harried editor. Out the door to the public.

And then if an opposition party wants to harp on something old for propaganda value,

it often gets top of the file too, with out full critical examination by editors.

Out of date and out of mind, but uttered once and worn onward like

the Albatros of the Ancient Mariner. Because the CREW is supersticious...

"I read the paper every day and believe every word I read.

Why would anyone lie to ME! "

Edited by animatic

There is too much heat and lack of comprehension of the true situation here.

Firstly, Thailand is NOT a democracy. The votes have never been free or fair here, if they were there would be no vote buying or heavy "persuasion" to vote for a particular party. As an example, at the last election, my maids and their entire community were told that if they did not vote for PPP, their loans from the 1MBaht village fund would be called in. This is neither free nor fair and does not fulfill the requirements to be a democracy. No government "elected in such circumstances can be regarded as legal or legitimate.

I have several family members deeply involved at all levels in PAD. They are not paid, and those demonstrating have never received more than a bottle of water or a khanom from well-wishers. The PAD have always preached Ghandiism and non violence. Any who arrived at a demonstration with any type of weapon had it removed, or they were turned away. The PAD have legitimate grievances, not least the illegitimate government, and have the absolute right to make them known.

On Saturday/Sunday that just passed, a group of men were touring the villages in the North and, I'm told the North East, offering 500-1,000 Baht per day to men willing to go to Bangkok to form a counter demonstration and attack the PAD demonstrators. All transport etc. was provided. Is it mere coincidence that this happened just when Mr Taxin sold Man' City and became highly solvent again. The rumour is that more than coincidence is involved here.

p1p, i am not young enough to know everything. but i am young enough to know one thing: your splendid post needs to be repeated after 12 hours at least. this i do, no more, no less.

There is too much heat and lack of comprehension of the true situation here.

Firstly, Thailand is NOT a democracy. The votes have never been free or fair here, if they were there would be no vote buying or heavy "persuasion" to vote for a particular party. As an example, at the last election, my maids and their entire community were told that if they did not vote for PPP, their loans from the 1MBaht village fund would be called in. This is neither free nor fair and does not fulfill the requirements to be a democracy. No government "elected in such circumstances can be regarded as legal or legitimate.

I have several family members deeply involved at all levels in PAD. They are not paid, and those demonstrating have never received more than a bottle of water or a khanom from well-wishers. The PAD have always preached Ghandiism and non violence. Any who arrived at a demonstration with any type of weapon had it removed, or they were turned away. The PAD have legitimate grievances, not least the illegitimate government, and have the absolute right to make them known.

On Saturday/Sunday that just passed, a group of men were touring the villages in the North and, I'm told the North East, offering 500-1,000 Baht per day to men willing to go to Bangkok to form a counter demonstration and attack the PAD demonstrators. All transport etc. was provided. Is it mere coincidence that this happened just when Mr Taxin sold Man' City and became highly solvent again. The rumour is that more than coincidence is involved here.

p1p, i am not young enough to know everything. but i am young enough to know one thing: your splendid post needs to be repeated after 12 hours at least. this i do, no more, no less.

Not too bad, as I expected.

It seems that this has been done everywhere, Southern hires people for PAD, Northern hires people for PAD resistance.

Amazing Thailand indeed.

PAD needs to stand down.
Agreed

disagreed

Stand down, no way...No Justice - No Peace! Let Samak and his corrupt government resign. I'm sure PAD will stand down after that. (I do believe though, that Khun Sondhi needs to continue his public awareness campaigns, after this is all over, if we want to see real change in this Nation.

Not sure if this has been reported yet. Doesn't look too good.
EXCELLENT MOVE

I suppose one reason I am so passionate about my support to getting rid of the current government, and before that thee government of Thaskin is, I saw 1st hand what his policies did in Issan. You gave a lot of people easy credit, based on how much land they owned. They went out bought new trucks, maybe a Mia Noi, a few invested in equipment to farm, but little thought was given to how to pay the money back.

What happened when they did not pay the money back? They lost their land and the government sold it to its cronies....

We bought some of this land our selves, rather than having it go to the government, and then allowed the families to keep farming it.

While a lot of people praised the government for giving them money, for a lot the full realization has yet to set in on what it truly cost them.

It was almost universal in all the villages outside Si Sa Ket for a payment of 200 to 500 baht per vote....This is not democracy.

good point! scientists have investigated the 'million baht/tambon' plan and found it had little impact on thai economy. 'incomes' have improved marginally, 'expenditure' has increased double than 'income'. so thai people are more indebted now than before. many bought 'mobiles' with the borrowed money and spent many hours on 'air'. what a lucky coincidence, that toxin was engaged in both the handphone & the ais business. many who couldn't pay back (with default interest as high as 1% per day!) went to the old loan sharks, some just resorted to good old prostitution and 'walking atm's' (thai word for compassionate and stupid farang)....you can't give some poor people who had never ever seen more than 1,000 baht at any one time 20,000 suddenly and expect that they do anything good with it. many readers on this forum know well the average and below average thai's strong calculation and planning abilities. what a scam and those who profitted most where again the puppetmaster and his cronies.

I'm glad that people are finally starting to see it.

Brava Emelie, your posts are getting stronger! :o

PAD needs to stand down.
Agreed

disagreed

Stand down, no way...No Justice - No Peace! Let Samak and his corrupt government resign. I'm sure PAD will stand down after that. (I do believe though, that Khun Sondhi needs to continue his public awareness campaigns, after this is all over, if we want to see real change in this Nation.

The whole PAD needs to stand down as well, their propaganda are nearly half fake.

Thailand needs real honest people instead of Khun Sondhi or PAD/PPP/TRT.

So assuming that Samak calls it quits and new elections are going to be scheduled, would that be enough for PAD to stop their unlawfull protest, I highly doubt it, remember the main leadership have some serious problems to deal with and if Samak does just that, they will have to face the music.

The PAD will not stop unless one of their core leaders or puppets gets the job of prime minister. It doesn't take an Einstein to see that. If Samak and the PPP quit and another party is elected that has nothing to do with the PAD, they will start again.

Now you tell me, is that democracy?

I'm not saying that Samak is not corrupt, but every other prime minister from any other party will be corrupt too. You can't tell me that any prime minister in Thailand would not take bribes for special favors. The one to take the least amount of bribes was probably Thaksin, because he had enough money himself. Those PAD leaders would take money left and right if they were prime minister.

Now, we can either stick with a corrupt prime minister and watch the country improve, or we can jump from one corrupt prime minister to another every few months, with coups and demonstrations and scare all tourists, businesses and investors away and end up with a country in ruins, chaos and anarchy.

Edited by rainman

'Not dangerous' to travel to Thailand

Norway's foreign ministry isn't warning against travel to Thailand, despite massive government protests and violence during the night. Tour operators aren't refunding any tickets, either.

"It's not dangerous to travel to Bangkok," claimed Marit Grøtting of tour operator Orkidéekspressen, who returned from Thailand on Monday. She conceded there "were a lot of people at the airport in Phuket," but claimed the situation otherwise was calm.

The government proclaimed a state of emergency in Thailand after violent protests left one person dead. The army was given control of public order. Norway's foreign ministry issued an advisory this week urging Norwegian citizens to maintain awareness, stay away from demonstrations and large gatherings of people, follow media reports and listen to advice from local authorities.

The ministry isn't, however, urging Norwegian citizens to drop any travel plans. Other countries are, and Thai Airways has reported a string of cancellations in its vast network. The local head of Thai Airways in Norway, however, said tourists were not a target of demonstrators trying to overthrow the government in Thailand. "This is a conflict that's not directed at tourists," Hirai said. "The Thais are very aware of the value of tourists in the country."

There were some disruptions at Thai airports over the weekend, but flights were operating as normal on Tuesday. Star Tour currently has around 200 customers in southern Thailand, but company spokesman Lena S Petersson reported no problems. Star Tour's representative in Bangkok said stores were open and there was no reason for concern.

The PAD will not stop unless one of their core leaders or puppets gets the job of prime minister. It doesn't take an Einstein to see that. If Samak and the PPP quit and another party is elected that has nothing to do with the PAD, they will start again.

That is exactly my concern, That's why it must be prevented that they actually get the chance to run the country, because if that happens Thailand is truly in trouble.

They will make the TRT/PPP criminals look like children :o

I'm not saying that Samak is not corrupt, but every other prime minister from any other party will be corrupt too. You can't tell me that any prime minister in Thailand would not take bribes for special favors. The one to take the least amount of bribes was probably Thaksin, because he had enough money himself. Those PAD leaders would take money left and right if they were prime minister.

Now, we can either stick with a corrupt prime minister and watch the country improve, or we can jump from one corrupt prime minister to another every few months, with coups and demonstrations and scare all tourists, businesses and investors away and end up with a country in ruins, chaos and anarchy.

Well said!

People should never expect for a perfect PM.

There's none, and I doubt that there'll be any soon.

As long as he improves the country, citizens have enough foods and funds, it doesnt really matter, the citizens here are expecting far too much of a 'perfect Leader' and when I ask one to name a few of them, they couldnt do so without having any further 'accussions' from the opposition.

There's always haters, so just bear with it, for the best of the people.

Nothing is perfect.

Edited by Seizhin

'Not dangerous' to travel to Thailand

Norway's foreign ministry isn't warning against travel to Thailand, despite massive government protests and violence during the night. Tour operators aren't refunding any tickets, either.

"It's not dangerous to travel to Bangkok," claimed Marit Grøtting of tour operator Orkidéekspressen, who returned from Thailand on Monday. She conceded there "were a lot of people at the airport in Phuket," but claimed the situation otherwise was calm.

The government proclaimed a state of emergency in Thailand after violent protests left one person dead. The army was given control of public order. Norway's foreign ministry issued an advisory this week urging Norwegian citizens to maintain awareness, stay away from demonstrations and large gatherings of people, follow media reports and listen to advice from local authorities.

The ministry isn't, however, urging Norwegian citizens to drop any travel plans. Other countries are, and Thai Airways has reported a string of cancellations in its vast network. The local head of Thai Airways in Norway, however, said tourists were not a target of demonstrators trying to overthrow the government in Thailand. "This is a conflict that's not directed at tourists," Hirai said. "The Thais are very aware of the value of tourists in the country."

There were some disruptions at Thai airports over the weekend, but flights were operating as normal on Tuesday. Star Tour currently has around 200 customers in southern Thailand, but company spokesman Lena S Petersson reported no problems. Star Tour's representative in Bangkok said stores were open and there was no reason for concern.

for heavens sake its safe 4 tourists we dont need the scando's to stop cumming

So assuming that Samak calls it quits and new elections are going to be scheduled, would that be enough for PAD to stop their unlawfull protest, I highly doubt it, remember the main leadership have some serious problems to deal with and if Samak does just that, they will have to face the music.

I highly doubt it. After the PPP gets kicked out, PAD leaders will be seen as the heroes they truly are. Charges will be dropped against all of them. Union workers will be reinstated and students will be able to return to their Universities without being penalized. That would be my guess anyways.

I don't think PAD is interested in forming a political party, although, this could change, as membership grows and goals get reevaluated.

One story glossed over has been the FM secretary

Foreign minister's secretary resigns

Poksak Nilubol, a secretary for political affairs to the foreign minister,

quitted the job Tuesday due to his difficulty to sever the government during the political tension.

The Nation

Now this story can be read several ways.

First his boss is a class act brought in to solve the Cambodia problem

and not a PPP core type. He came in as an outside respected diplomat.

One of the FEW things Samak EVER got right in the last 6 months.

And he solved the problem too. Until Samak's problems forced

the Cambodian's into a wait and see who we're dealing with mode.

He can't get into the office.

No sure on that one.

The boss has no instructions because he's not getting any.

He has a philisophical difference with the PPP cabinet at the monet.

It is a prelude to the FM bowing out, or he is falling on his sword for the FM.

He wants to avoid blame with the balloon goes up.

Oh, I had quite the government at that point...

Locked out of the office and wants a vacation.

And my favorite is the EXACT badly spelled quote

"due to his difficulty to sever the government during the political tension."

Not serve.... could this be the ultimate freudian slip?

I highly doubt it. After the PPP gets kicked out, PAD leaders will be seen as the heroes they truly are. Charges will be dropped against all of them. Union workers will be reinstated and students will be able to return to their Universities without being penalized. That would be my guess anyways.

I don't think PAD is interested in forming a political party, although, this could change, as membership grows and goals get reevaluated.

Strange that one side has to face justice, yet the other one seems to be above the law. I mean Sondhi is a criminal without any doubt and a hero he is certainly not. But I guess you can reason that one away as well.

Bangkok Post's Comments

(by Pattnapong Chantranontwong, Editor - Bangkok Post)

We strongly disagree with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's decision to declare a state of emergency as a means of ending the street demonstrations by the People's Alliance for Democracy. It is only another vain attempt to survive the political crisis he is facing. Army commander-in-chief Gen Anupong Paojinda, who heads the special emergency committee tasked with returning the situation to normal, deserves credit for stating clearly that the army would step in only to prevent any further clashes between the two pressure groups _ the PAD and the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship. The general also noted that the continuing crisis is a political issue and as such it should be solved by political processes, not by force. The prime demand of the PAD is that Mr Samak step down; Mr Samak demands the PAD ends its protest. Mr Samak repeatedly proclaims the legitimacy of his government _ because it was elected.

It is true that his People Power party won the most seats in the general election last December. But winning the election does not mean his government has a mandate to break the law or contravene the constitution. Even disregarding the Election Commission's unanimous decision Tuesday to recommend the dissolution of his party for election fraud, Mr Samak's cabinet has made several decisions considered to be in breach of the constitution. Even the qualifications of some of his cabinet members are doubtful. The Constitution Court ruled that the cabinet's decision to issue a joint communique with Phnom Penh on the Preah Vihear issue was a breach of the charter. The recent appointments of some people, allegedly involved in certain controversial cases, to the boards of Bank of Thailand and the Securities Exchange of Thailand are questionable. As are the PPP's efforts to amend the constitution in favour of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and to enable the party to avoid the dissolution.

These moves are, in fact, not acceptable to the public. Although his government survived a recent censure debate in parliament, it does not mean his government had done nothing wrong. It survived because his coalition has a large majority in the House of Representatives. Even though we also disagree with the PAD holding the country and the people to ransom _ by blocking the traffic, seizing Government House, forcing the closure of three southern airports, stopping trains and planning strikes to disrupt public utilities and bus services _ we agree that the PAD has every right to protest against the government.

However, if neither side agrees to a compromise then the crisis will be never-ending. Mr Samak must admit that he has committed many mistakes during his seven months in the office, and they are enough for him to call it quits. At the same time, the PAD must accept the principle of democracy. If Mr Samak steps down, his party still leads a coalition which controls the House and can legitimately form a new cabinet. The other option is that Mr Samak dissolves the House and calls another general election. Again, the PAD must accept the outcome of the election, no matter how it turns out, and let the party which wins form a new government. These options embody the democratic principle. We strongly disagree with any undemocratic options _ neither a coup nor the appointment of a non-elected government.

Strange that one side has to face justice, yet the other one seems to be above the law. I mean Sondhi is a criminal without any doubt and a hero he is certainly not. But I guess you can reason that one away as well.

All a matter of perspective, I guess.

One story glossed over has been the FM secretary

Foreign minister's secretary resigns

Poksak Nilubol, a secretary for political affairs to the foreign minister,

quitted the job Tuesday due to his difficulty to sever the government during the political tension.

The Nation

Now this story can be read several ways.

First his boss is a class act brought in to solve the Cambodia problem

and not a PPP core type. He came in as an outside respected diplomat.

One of the FEW things Samak EVER got right in the last 6 months.

And he solved the problem too. Until Samak's problems forced

the Cambodian's into a wait and see who we're dealing with mode.

He can't get into the office.

No sure on that one.

The boss has no instructions because he's not getting any.

He has a philisophical difference with the PPP cabinet at the monet.

It is a prelude to the FM bowing out, or he is falling on his sword for the FM.

He wants to avoid blame with the balloon goes up.

Oh, I had quite the government at that point...

Locked out of the office and wants a vacation.

And my favorite is the EXACT badly spelled quote

"due to his difficulty to sever the government during the political tension."

Not serve.... could this be the ultimate freudian slip?

DAAD regroups in Samut Prakan

<H2></H2>

Over 2,000 pro-government demonstrators moved from Sanam Luang to rally in Samut Prakan Tuesday evening.

The Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship moved its protesters from Sanam Luang to the ground in front of the Samut Prakan city hall.

Their number grew to over 3,000 at 9 pm.

Their leaders, who took turn to speak on the stage in criticism of the People's Alliance for Democracy, included Uthai Saegkaew, a younger brother of Deputy Transport Minister Thirachai Saengkaew, and People Power Party MP Krung Srivilai.

The Nation

looks like the ambulences now where to go

Folks,

I am seriously concerned about the fact, that some farangs still support this old smelly Samak. May be the effect of "Mad in Thailand" - Ed Karabao should rewrite this song!

What is the point? Don"t copy the Western Democracy (which is also corrupt anyway, but at a different level).

SET, Baht, Tourist cancellations, bad image, investors stepping out.....what more is needed for the Buffalo Samak to resign???

And even there are some farangs who encourage him to lead Thailand into the complete chaos....why that?

Good Night, and let's hope that we have no further bloodshed during this night.

The Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship moved its protesters from Sanam Luang to the ground in front of the Samut Prakan city hall.

Their number grew to over 3,000 at 9 pm.

As I saw the footage of last night, this is really the elite of Thailand :o

They would do anything for 500 Baht, just give them a booze and they are ready to rumble!

Sad, sad, sad!

And btw, very pleased to see (watching ASTV) how "well" the state of emergency in BKK is going on :D

Samak has no more options now....use violence - he is dead, do nothing - he is dead. If he still have some Thai pride and accountability, he should resign sooner than later.

Edited by moo9