Zyxel Adsl Modem P-660h-t1 V2

tigerbeer

Hi Guys,

Was having a wonderful Belkin ADSL modem router before and everything was working fine with my previous TT&T Hinet account that I used for years. Upgraded to CAT 4/1 Megs account and they gave me this Zyxel Modem P-660H-T1 v2. For some reason my older Belkin keeps disconnecting the ADSL line. Can't figure out. But internet works fine with the Zyxel modem. Took an older router and attached it to the modem so that we can have wi-fi. So everything works fine.

Problem now is that I can't get to port forward successfully to allow Utorrent to get by. I have opened up port in the windows firewall. Also tried port forwarding the IP of this computer with a port to be opened up for Utorrent in the modem setup. But to no success. Anyone else have this modem and having the same problem?

Also is turning off Active Firewall within the MOdem safe? Seems to allow opened ports at times and then it gets shut despite Active Firewall being turned off.

any ideas guys? its stressing me out!

TB..

Hi Guys,

Was having a wonderful Belkin ADSL modem router before and everything was working fine with my previous TT&T Hinet account that I used for years. Upgraded to CAT 4/1 Megs account and they gave me this Zyxel Modem P-660H-T1 v2. For some reason my older Belkin keeps disconnecting the ADSL line. Can't figure out. But internet works fine with the Zyxel modem. Took an older router and attached it to the modem so that we can have wi-fi. So everything works fine.

Problem now is that I can't get to port forward successfully to allow Utorrent to get by. I have opened up port in the windows firewall. Also tried port forwarding the IP of this computer with a port to be opened up for Utorrent in the modem setup. But to no success. Anyone else have this modem and having the same problem?

Also is turning off Active Firewall within the MOdem safe? Seems to allow opened ports at times and then it gets shut despite Active Firewall being turned off.

any ideas guys? its stressing me out!

TB..

I think I have the same type of setup you do. I'm definitely using Utorrent and think I have a Zyxel Prestige 660 modem (can't look right now as not at home). Anyway, as I understand it you can't forward port because it's a modem, not a router.

I used to think that was a problem, but now I can get great download (torrent) speeds. I don't use Windows XP Firewall -- disabled it. Instead I use Sunbelt Kerio Personal FW and allow it to have incoming and outgoing traffic for Utorrent. The little green checkmark is always on in Utorrent (when torrents are active) and when I use some of my private tracker sites, I can hit full 2 Mbit/s downoad speeds.

I had the same problem as I used to connect IP-Cameras via the Zyxel 660: impossible. Changed the Modem/Router to an levelOne WBR3460 Series incl. Wireless and all problems solved.

The LevelOne even has the advantage that you can use up to 1024 ports to open and fully VPN!

Cheers.

Beacher,

Well i took off windows firewall and still cannot get the port open. so even if i had a personal firewall, it would not work. not sure. perhaps worth a try.

Reimar,

I already have a modem wi-fi router and it doesn't work with CAT internet. So i am not sure if buying another modem would be a good idea or not. what if it doesn't work with CAT internet?

its getting a bit frustrating.

TB>.

But internet works fine with the Zyxel modem. Took an older router and attached it to the modem so that we can have wi-fi.

So you have to set up the port forwarding in the Zyxel modem, and also in the wireless router that you connected to it and also check your Windows firewall to allow that port.

Beacher,

Well i took off windows firewall and still cannot get the port open. so even if i had a personal firewall, it would not work. not sure. perhaps worth a try.

Reimar,

I already have a modem wi-fi router and it doesn't work with CAT internet. So i am not sure if buying another modem would be a good idea or not. what if it doesn't work with CAT internet?

its getting a bit frustrating.

TB>.

I said in my post that YOU CAN"T FORWARD PORTS, and I understand that's because a Zyxel 660 is only a modem, not a router.

BTW, I don't think it's a good idea to go online without a firewall. The last time I tried that I was bombarded with viruses, Trojan horses, etc. within seconds.

Edited by Beacher

I have the same setup as the OP and get good torrent speeds and connections.

I use a Zyxel Prestige 660R-T1.

You set it up under Advances Settings, NAT, Edit SUA/NAT Server Set:

Start Port No. [your torrent port] End Port No. [your torrent port] IP Address [your wireless routers IP address]

Then you also set up the port forwarding on the wireless router to forward it to your computers IP.

zyxel 660 is a routeur even it has only one RJ45 port, put it in bridge mode and let your wifi routeur do the "dial-up" or do a DMZ from your adsl routeur to your wifi routeur, then use a port forward from your wifi routeur to your LAN IP.

But internet works fine with the Zyxel modem. Took an older router and attached it to the modem so that we can have wi-fi.

So you have to set up the port forwarding in the Zyxel modem, and also in the wireless router that you connected to it and also check your Windows firewall to allow that port.

Port Forwarded in the Zyxel modem, and also in windows firewall. I have done it for years and know how to do it. Its no point doing it on my wireless router cause my computer is directly connected to the modem.

Its totally beyond me on why i still can't open up a port for Utorrent. !

TB..

after extensive stressful googling, i found out that Utorrent is simply not compatible with the Zyxel P660H-T1. No ideas why but something with too many settings of concurrent connections by peers. Not sure how to settle that part so decided to use VUZE (previously known as Azureus). Managed to port forward with Windows Firewall and Zyxel Router settings for NAT.

so in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread, the easy way is to change torrent clients to something else than uTorrent. Thank you for all your helps people.

TB.

zyxel 660 is a routeur even it has only one RJ45 port, put it in bridge mode and let your wifi routeur do the "dial-up" or do a DMZ from your adsl routeur to your wifi routeur, then use a port forward from your wifi routeur to your LAN IP.

Yeah, got home and checked -- mine is a Zyxel Prestige 630, not a 660. It doesn't handle port forwarding because it's only a modem, and an old one at that.

But I still have no problem getting good download speeds. As I said before, usually with certain private trackers I maintain the full 2Mbits/s I pay for when using them. Public trackers vary, of course, but still work fine and generally fast, for the most part.

Nice little boxes. Perform very well!

Here's the screenshots for port forwarding:

Go to Network > Nat > Port Forwarding and select user-define

Fill in a name (so you recognize it), enter the portnumber (same for beginning and end) and fill in your workstation IP address, with a default setup that's probably 192.168.1.33

And on the next screen, click apply.

By default, the maximum number of NAT sessions per workstation is 256. If you've got more computers connected behind this router, don't change that value. It's a limit to keep enough memory available for NAT.

I said in my post that YOU CAN"T FORWARD PORTS, and I understand that's because a Zyxel 660 is only a modem, not a router.

your understanding is wrong. i have a Zyxel 660 which is modem AND router :o

Naam, if you had read further, you would have seen that I made that comment THINKING I had a 660 model, but I later found out that mine is a 630, and I added another post to reflect that. If I'm wrong about the Zyxel Prestige 630 not being router and port forwarding is possible, please let me know.

Edited by Beacher

• 1 year later...
Yeah, I use VUZE (Azureus) as well with the Zyxel 660 and it works.

I would really like to know how you manage that, i have been trying for days every which way, i use vuze on vista home premium, forward ports on the said router and firewall it just wont give me a green on vuze?? could you kindly post up your settings and your port number so i can try again please....thanks HD

I would really like to know how you manage that, i have been trying for days every which way, i use vuze on vista home premium, forward ports on the said router and firewall it just wont give me a green on vuze?? could you kindly post up your settings and your port number so i can try again please....thanks HD

Did you set a static LAN IP address into your computer yet?

yep, tried that and still no joy, does anyone know if cat disable port forwarding?

yep, tried that and still no joy, does anyone know if cat disable port forwarding?

Do a tracert to www.yahoo.com and post.

To do a tracert, click 'Start' and then 'Run', and in Vista and Win 7, type "cmd" into the box and click 'ok'.

A DOS black screen will appear. Type after the C:\>

tracert www.yahoo.com

and press enter key

When test is completed, move mouse cursor to the DOS black screen, click right and choose 'select all'.

Move mouse cursor to the Quick Reply box of this forum, click right and 'paste'.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Alan>cd c:\

c:\>tracert www.yahoo.com

Tracing route to www-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com [209.131.36.158]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1

2 45 ms 45 ms 44 ms 61.7.191.1

3 45 ms 45 ms 44 ms 61.7.148.54

4 52 ms 52 ms 52 ms 61.7.148.53

5 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms 202.47.247.193

6 68 ms 221 ms 207 ms 202.47.247.98

7 53 ms 52 ms 52 ms 61.19.15.193

8 53 ms 53 ms 52 ms 61.19.9.41

9 53 ms 52 ms 52 ms 61.19.9.46

10 254 ms 254 ms 254 ms 202.47.253.213

11 265 ms 265 ms 265 ms laix.bas1.lax.yahoo.com [198.32.146.28]

12 265 ms 264 ms 264 ms so-3-0-0.pat2.sjc.yahoo.com [216.115.96.46]

13 267 ms 269 ms 266 ms ae0-p161.msr1.sp1.yahoo.com [216.115.107.59]

14 667 ms 674 ms 267 ms te-8-1.bas-a2.sp1.yahoo.com [209.131.32.19]

15 690 ms 682 ms 684 ms f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com [209.131.36.158]

Trace complete.

c:\>

there you go ...thanks

I do not see any issue with the tracert. Single NAT and devices working as seen in the ping times of the first 3 hops.

Is there any software firewall in your comp or the firewall in your router blocking your port forward?

Thanks for taking the time to look,

I have tried, different methods, eg firewall on router off and ports forwarded thru windows firewall, windows firewall off and router firewall on and ports forwarded (i even did a factory reset on the router) and purchased the portfoward program from portforward.com, i also downloaded the latest firmware on the zyxel site but the router wouldn`t accept the bin file for some reason, my current firmware is as follows V3.40(BJE.1) | 07/23/2008,

maybe i need to purchase a static ip address from CAT, what`s your thoughts please .....HD

maybe i need to purchase a static ip address from CAT, what`s your thoughts please .....HD

When we talk about a static IP address during port forward, we mean a static LAN IP address, and not a static WAN IP address which you mentioned purchasing.

LAN IP addresses are issued by the router through its DHCP server in a random manner to any device connected to it's LAN.

When you port forward, you are opening ports to a specific LAN IP address, thus, you need to set your computer up with this LAN IP address even if it reboots.

If not, your computer may be issued a different LAN IP address by the router after a reboot, and will not be at the receiving end of the port forward.

See:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Note also, your Zyxel has a very limited pool of LAN IP addresses specified by default on its DHCP server.

You can see it after logging into your router

LAN -> DHCP Setup

IP Pool Starting Address - 192.168.1.30

Pool Size - 32

Means that the IP address issued by the DHCP server will be from 192.168.1.30 to 192.168.1.61

You can safely specify a static LAN IP address for your computer between 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.55

For many years now most manufacturers have been putting a lot of effort into making webinterfaces on routers, so users can make the most basic settings with a few mouse clicks.

The only thing left for the user to do: understand what NAT is and how it works.

And that starts with basic understanding of what an IP address is.

It's not that difficult.....