Wanted..good Builder

inthemarket

i apologise as i already posted this one time but not sure if it went up.

i need a good builder in phuket for an interior renovation of a house in boat lagoon.. will pay top dollar and it must be done asap..

if anyone can help me out there is a free dinner in it if married, if not a night onthe town in phuket or bkk..

come on chaps have a think i need to get this started next week

I have been a daily browser here for a few years, but never posted until now. I couldn’t resist your request for a builder recommendation.

I am half way through (four and a half months) the building of a large villa and I am using a contractor who was well recommended to me. So far I cannot fault him – absolutely fantastic. After all the horror stories I’ve heard I was prepared for a nightmare, but it hasn’t come. Of course, there’s still quite a few months to go.

If you want his details, email me.

I have been a daily browser here for a few years, but never posted until now. I couldn't resist your request for a builder recommendation.

I am half way through (four and a half months) the building of a large villa and I am using a contractor who was well recommended to me. So far I cannot fault him – absolutely fantastic. After all the horror stories I've heard I was prepared for a nightmare, but it hasn't come. Of course, there's still quite a few months to go.

please send me his details, as long as he speaks english that is enough to convince me... cant be dealing with anymore of these idiots who just knod and smile

Sorry to be down, they are all crap, if you want western standards forget it. Your only chance is to pay top dollar and be prepared to spend every minute of the day there to say no good, do again, that is the only way to get what you want and paid for. Don't think for a second that a guarentee means sod all here, once it's finished they don't care.

Up to you, if you can't be here for the build then employ a farang to oversee. It costs a lot more but saves a fortune in heartache and arguement.

We employed a "foreman" to oversee the construction,  with us going by every day to check on progress also.  The "foreman" was actually a young architect working under our architect and even though I thought it was expensive, I'm sure employing him probably saved us some money in the long run and we managed to get about 98% of everything right.  

Sorry to be down, they are all crap, if you want western standards forget it. Your only chance is to pay top dollar and be prepared to spend every minute of the day there to say no good, do again, that is the only way to get what you want and paid for. Don't think for a second that a guarentee means sod all here, once it's finished they don't care.

Up to you, if you can't be here for the build then employ a farang to oversee. It costs a lot more but saves a fortune in heartache and arguement.

In saying that , even having a farang sometimes does not help. Employed farang and sometimes this lures you also into a false sense of security, they are good with the talking and you feel at ease and then find they are not on job site and spending alot of money and unless you are there...

Oh yes the famous nod and smile and "i understand" .Personally i find it a stinking nightmare and have not heard of a good one yet, unless you are paying more per sq meter than in europe even..

I am interested to knw good contractors always

We employed a "foreman" to oversee the construction,  with us going by every day to check on progress also.  The "foreman" was actually a young architect working under our architect and even though I thought it was expensive, I'm sure employing him probably saved us some money in the long run and we managed to get about 98% of everything right.  

Very good advice!

Two very important qualities in a foreman: (1) Must have a good understanding of western quality standards, and your expectations, and (2) Must be recognized as "the boss" by all of the workers and subcontractors, and be able to properly manage the workers to obtain the expected results.

In our case, the builder's foreman had neither of these qualities, and we're still dealing with some of the resulting fallout.

• 7 months later...
I have been a daily browser here for a few years, but never posted until now. I couldn’t resist your request for a builder recommendation.

I am half way through (four and a half months) the building of a large villa and I am using a contractor who was well recommended to me. So far I cannot fault him – absolutely fantastic. After all the horror stories I’ve heard I was prepared for a nightmare, but it hasn’t come. Of course, there’s still quite a few months to go.

Thought I’d resurrect this thread if only to let people know that there actually are good, conscientious, honest builders out there – or maybe that should read: “a good, conscientious builder out there.”

The house is finished. I really couldn’t be happier. Much, much better than I had ever dreamed. He was very keen to do things correctly. He didn’t rip me off when he carried out extra work which was outside of his quotation. Quality and finishing is excellent.

I’m not saying this was easy – far from it – but it was nothing like a nightmare. More like a fitful night’s sleep.

I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

Thought I’d resurrect this thread if only to let people know that there actually are good, conscientious, honest builders out there – or maybe that should read: “a good, conscientious builder out there.”

The house is finished. I really couldn’t be happier. Much, much better than I had ever dreamed. He was very keen to do things correctly. He didn’t rip me off when he carried out extra work which was outside of his quotation. Quality and finishing is excellent.

I’m not saying this was easy – far from it – but it was nothing like a nightmare. More like a fitful night’s sleep.

Are you going to let us know who did it, or are you keeping it a secret????

Never mind the "PM me" stuff

Give him credit on an open forum if he deserves it

Are you going to let us know who did it, or are you keeping it a secret????

Never mind the "PM me" stuff

Give him credit on an open forum if he deserves it

No, it’s not a secret! I could be very wrong, but I rarely (if ever) see posters give names of service providers on the forum. They always seem to say, “pm me.”

I will gladly post the company name and contact number if someone can confirm that it’s not against forum rules.

In the meantime, if you want my contractor’s number, pm me.

No, it's not a secret! I could be very wrong, but I rarely (if ever) see posters give names of service providers on the forum. They always seem to say, "pm me."

I will gladly post the company name and contact number if someone can confirm that it's not against forum rules.

In the meantime, if you want my contractor's number, pm me.

Tricky one... I've been studying the forum rules http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/boardrules.html and it's clear to me that...

Can't promote your own business

Can't provide email address or phone number. URL ???

So no rule about company name when post recommends a third party, with no commercial interest.

I always recommend the PM method as it's clear cut not against forum rules.

I posted this 2008 07/07. Did no jail time or anything. Honest

I am glad to be able to pass on this great service again to other fortunate readers who might need his services

His name is Athit, but I don't know the name of his shop

No. I have no affilitation with him

I was referred to a good mechanic on this site by someone I don't remember. Well I have been there 4-5 times with different car troubles, and he seems to know exactly what he is doing. He saved me 10,000Bt on my last visit and even recommended another shop where I should go for tires. He speaks very good English and charges very reasonably. His shop is directly across the road from the entrance to Wat Chalong

I posted this 2008 07/07. Did no jail time or anything. Honest

I am glad to be able to pass on this great service again to other fortunate readers who might need his services

His name is Athit, but I don't know the name of his shop

No. I have no affilitation with him

I was referred to a good mechanic on this site by someone I don't remember. Well I have been there 4-5 times with different car troubles, and he seems to know exactly what he is doing. He saved me 10,000Bt on my last visit and even recommended another shop where I should go for tires. He speaks very good English and charges very reasonably. His shop is directly across the road from the entrance to Wat Chalong

Dan, what has this got to do with builders ?? Or did I miss something... :o

We did get a little off topic

My point is if someone does a good job, why not share it with all the members.

Do they not think he deserves it, or do they just like getting secret personal notes

Oh no Dan! You’re on to me. The cat’s out of the bag. You’ve cottoned on to the fact that I love getting “secret personal notes” from anonymous people, asking me for my builder’s phone number. You wouldn’t believe what a thrill it is.