Understanding Thai Politics

Chaimai

We are in Buriram and my g/f spoke to her mother yesterday. Her mother, who voted for PPP, in the last election is now considering going to Bangkok to join the PAD demonstrations because she will receive 200 Baht a day if she does so !

She still likes Taksin/Samak but the lure of 200 Baht a day is compelling.

Alarmingly simple ! I cannot understand why the academics amongst you are looking deeper .......

Edited by Chaimai

We are in Buriram and my g/f spoke to her mother yesterday. Her mother, who voted for PPP, in the last election is now considering going to Bangkok to join the PAD demonstrations because she will receive 200 Baht a day if she does so !

Alarmingly simple ! I cannot understand why the academics amongst you are looking deeper .......

:o

I am trying to learn more and more about Thai politics and the history of the last, say 80 years.

I did read "The Thaksinization of Thailand" and learned a lot from the book.

Any other solid, worthy books about Thai politics and recent political history out there?

TIA.

I am trying to learn more and more about Thai politics and the history of the last, say 80 years.

I did read "The Thaksinization of Thailand" and learned a lot from the book.

Any other solid, worthy books about Thai politics and recent political history out there?

TIA.

Try these links. The Books by Chris Baker, Pasuk Pongpaichit and David Wyatt are particularly good:

Thai Politics

and

Thai History

Good topic.

Workers in our area stopped working to join that PAD as they got 500 Baht per day, free F&B, free cap and t-shirt. Someone said in Thai Visa forum that the price has gone up to 1,000.

30,000 / month plus expenses :o

I am surprised that all the BGs haven't signed up and are having a big somtam party in BKK. In fact, maybe I can persuade my GFs, mum, dad, sisters, in fact the whole village to go. Probably the most difficult to persuade will be her idle brother, who would doubtless be very happy to offer a proxy presence and have them send the cash from BKK to pay for his beer and whisky.

What the hel_l are you smoking.

Your girlfriends mother is being ripped off. I wanted to discover the veracity of these reports for myself so had my gf phone her mother in Petchaboon. The going rate offered was 700 with a free trip to Bangkok but this was a one off payment not a daily offer. She then phoned her sister in Ubon province and so far there have been no offers.

If you were one of the poor people who normaly sleeps on a city footbridge and you knew of a place near at hand where you could eat for free, get free underwear and a yellow t shirt, free dental check up and medical plus a concert to watch plus meet lots of new friends....would you be stubborn and stick to your footbridge or make the most of a temporary windfall ? :o

1000 baht a day? I am amazed that many of the farang teachers have not signed up.

Wrong skin color.....

Sure?

:o

By the way, when my (Thai) wife saw this picture (post #14), she just said....what the hel_l???

Edited by Travel2003

Yeah, lots of baseless rumours among PPP Thais as to the protesters being paid. They don't quite understand what's going on, and it makes them feel better if they think the protesters are only there because of monetary reasons. Where exactly is the line to stand in at the rallies to get the cash? Handing out daily money to tens of thousands of people is a big operation.

Yeah, lots of baseless rumours among PPP Thais as to the protesters being paid. They don't quite understand what's going on, and it makes them feel better if they think the protesters are only there because of monetary reasons. Where exactly is the line to stand in at the rallies to get the cash? Handing out daily money to tens of thousands of people is a big operation.

Good, you are definitely not smoking.

Edited by GaiYaang

Well, if anyone should know about the complexities of handing out money to tens (???) of thousands of people for political gain, I'd certainly rely on/turn to the experts.... the PPP. They have far more experience at it than anyone else around here... :o

So may we assume that the infamous 1990s Internet translation from English to Thai of the phrase "I love you" remains, despite inflation, "haa roi baat"?

Handing out daily money to tens of thousands of people is a big operation

JING JING MAI ?????

Good, you are definitely not smoking.

Perhaps those of us NOT smoking are hallucinating then !!

I guess it was an equally difficult operation to distribute inducements at election time - chai mai ?

(For the real world - please look straight ahead)

So may we assume that the infamous 1990s Internet translation from English to Thai of the phrase "I love you" remains, despite inflation, "haa roi baat"?

:o:D:D:D:D:(:D

(Whilst my response is genuine I have discovered that posting smileys is an easy to get to 1,000 posts )

Edited by Chaimai

Perhaps those of us NOT smoking are hallucinating then !!

I guess it was an equally difficult operation to distribute inducements at election time - chai mai ?

(For the real world - please look straight ahead)

There's a world of difference between going around to homes once before an election, making a campaign speech and giving a gift, and organizing tens of thousands of people and paying them that same amount that previously was given once during an election, every day, for months on end, as some people are claiming. There are tens of thousands of people at the rally every day. Where is the line they stand in each and every day to get their supposed money? I certainly haven't seen one while down there, nor have I seen people walking through the crowd handing out cash on ASTV. If you want to see what a paid rally looks lie, look at the mob that attacked PAD ealier, it wasn't many people, it only lasted one night, and they were all drunk as a skunk.

There's a world of difference between going around to homes once before an election, making a campaign speech and giving a gift, and organizing tens of thousands of people and paying them that same amount that previously was given once during an election, every day, for months on end, as some people are claiming. There are tens of thousands of people at the rally every day. Where is the line they stand in each and every day to get their supposed money? I certainly haven't seen one while down there, nor have I seen people walking through the crowd handing out cash on ASTV. If you want to see what a paid rally looks lie, look at the mob that attacked PAD ealier, it wasn't many people, it only lasted one night, and they were all drunk as a skunk.

OK - I am wrong and if you say it is not happening then it is not happening. I have greater confidence in Thai politics now that you have reassured me that NOT ONE of the PAD demonstrators is being paid to attend. Phew ! that is a relief, what we are actually seeing then is democracy in action.

I thought only Thaksin and PPP play money politics as least that's what I read in this forum..please don't taint the PAD they are angels... :D .....Many forum readers may not like what you said.. :o

I thought only Thaksin and PPP play money politics as least that's what I read in this forum..please don't taint the PAD they are angels... :D .....Many forum readers may not like what you said.. :o

I think my skin is old enough and thick enough :D

I am fortunate to be a guest in this country. I have no idealogical axe to grind and I am content to see Thailand develop it's own democracy in it's own stumbling, faltering way. Perfect it isn't, but at this stage of evolution I believe that the government was, pretty much, "democratically elected" and should be allowed a term of office to prove (or not) their worth.

Many people can cry "foul" about many things in the election process but I would prefer to see people working within the system to effect changes and improvements.

If mass demonstrations, that are disruptive and damaging to the Thai economy and international reputation, are considered to be "within the system" then those people - and by extension the country - is/are not ready for democracy.

Edited by Chaimai

On a side note, the most entertaining side-effect is listening to the office staff complain when the pay schedule changes. I recall during the last elections several people going home to vote because they were paying 500 THB or so, only to find out that no one was paying when they got there. They felt cheated. The maid was pretty entertaining too. She went to the protests on Thaksin's side during the original coup days for a bit and then the payout got lowered to 250 THB a day and there was a lot of complaining at the office the next day along the lines of how protesting wasn't worth 250 THB and that they had screwed her over. The concept that bribery requires customer service is surely an indication of an advancing consumer marketplace. Eventually maybe there'll be customer comment cards - "Tell us how we can improve our vote buying!"