Understanding Thai Politics

Chaimai

OK - I am wrong and if you say it is not happening then it is not happening. I have greater confidence in Thai politics now that you have reassured me that NOT ONE of the PAD demonstrators is being paid to attend. Phew ! that is a relief, what we are actually seeing then is democracy in action.

There are thousands of cameras at the PAD rallies. If the protesters are being paid, it would be all over the TV, with documented evidence of protesters being handed cash. The PAD does not attack people holding cameras, unlike their opponents, there should be ample proof of people lining up for money if these claims are true. It's funny, on one hand the anti PAD lot are saying all the protesters are the Bangkok elite, while on the other hand they are claiming they are all being paid to join the protests. I see little evidence of either.

Good topic.

Workers in our area stopped working to join that PAD as they got 500 Baht per day, free F&B, free cap and t-shirt. Someone said in Thai Visa forum that the price has gone up to 1,000.

Unfortuneately the BBC reporters were busy in MBK Edited by dee123

what youv'e got to understand is; if the journalist's go "too far" they might lose their luxury Bangkok aircon apartment and golf club membership,....let alone re-schooling the kids.....and what would their Thai neighbours say if they were caught telling the "WHOLE "truth!

Edited by dee123

I am trying to learn more and more about Thai politics and the history of the last, say 80 years.

I did read "The Thaksinization of Thailand" and learned a lot from the book.

Any other solid, worthy books about Thai politics and recent political history out there?

TIA.

If its available in Thailand,and its about politics then its about as useful as a sausage in a Kosher butchers.

....I don't see or never have seen the "whole" truth reported by BBC in Thailand.(website included)....only Channel 4 UK has come close to this.

remarkably an article by BBC journalist Johnathan Head has appeared on their website,(updated Dec 2007) but only now released.......Mr Head is way ahead of their other correspondents, but still he is only scratching the surface of political reality in Thailand. NB could do better. Dee123