Acupuncture

Boon Mee

Chris Waugh links to the New Zealand Herald with this good piece:

“Acupuncture is more effective than drugs in treating osteoarthritis, shows a study published last week."

And then this little snippet from the end of the article:

"The World Health Organisation now recognises more than 100 conditions that can be helped by acupuncture."

Reminds me of a conversation I had a while back with this old Kiwi guy who was ranting on about how he would never use Chinese medicine because he refused to trust anything un-scientific. I would have thought one of the pre-requisites for a belief in science was an open mind. This is by no means the first article published showing that traditional Chinese medicine is a he11 of a lot more useful than arrogant Westerners believe.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/chriswaugh_bj/129779.html

Needles get thumbs up for arthritis treatment

By MAXINE FRITH

Acupuncture is more effective than drugs in treating osteoarthritis, shows a study published last week.

The needle therapy helped to reduce pain and stiffness and gave patients a better quality of life, research published in the British Medical Journal found.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm...condsubsection=

And I’m here to tell y’all that it works for paralysis as well. Broke my neck in Singapore and was paralyzed the entire right-side of the body. After 6 months of acupuncture I was up and walking around and back to work shortly after. It’s good stuff! :o

I underwent a course of acupuncture earlier this year to treat my

hayfever/rhinitis problem.

Didn't help me at all.

It depends on the practitioner and the length of treatment.

Also helps if you believe that it's working.

In China they do open-heart surgery with it and no general anesthesia. I probably wouldn't opt for that though! :o

So where in Bangkok do you recommend for acupuncture? I went to Hua Chiew Hospital (I think it's spelt like that anyway) and the doctor that I saw only spoke Chinese. I had to get a Thai to translate my dodgy Thai to Chinese.

I don't know how well it went though. Got malaria soon after going to her!

• 1 year later...
So where in Bangkok do you recommend for acupuncture? I went to Hua Chiew Hospital (I think it's spelt like that anyway) and the doctor that I saw only spoke Chinese. I had to get a Thai to translate my dodgy Thai to Chinese.

I don't know how well it went though. Got malaria soon after going to her!

any contact details for hua chiew hospital?

Any suggestions for an acupuncturist in Phuket? We are moving there in May 2006.

I have keloids from surgery and acupuncture is the only thing that eases the pain. For those who don't know, keloids are abnormal scar tissues. Mine can't be removed via surgery because I will create even worse keloids after repeated surgery to the same site. Have already had two surgeries using the same incision site.

I have tried lots of other things to help with the pain and acupuncture works the best. I don't want to use pain pills for the rest of my life.

Thanks for any references.

im not sure of the exact address, but its near hualumphung train station in bangkok