What Should You Bring To Thailand From Your Western Countries?

MiG16

been trying to think about this for last 2 days

a friend is about to move to Thailand on a long term basis. Hes got a baby girl, about 1 or 2 years old, his wife will be coming with him.

they have packed the usual basic things, clothes, books, and whatever else people do.

he asked me what would be 'missing' / expensive in Thailand, that an expat/westerner might want to bring....

I couldnt think of many things, everything seems to be available. I told him wine

but need more ideas

(they still have lots of space in what they are shipping over)

so over to you?

other alcoholic drinks? (he likes to have drinks and will be doing a fair bit of entertaining Im sure)

female stuff?

baby stuff?

anything else? (but non perishable only)

thanks everyone

been trying to think about this for last 2 days

a friend is about to move to Thailand on a long term basis. Hes got a baby girl, about 1 or 2 years old, his wife will be coming with him.

they have packed the usual basic things, clothes, books, and whatever else people do.

he asked me what would be 'missing' / expensive in Thailand, that an expat/westerner might want to bring....

I couldnt think of many things, everything seems to be available. I told him wine

but need more ideas

(they still have lots of space in what they are shipping over)

so over to you?

other alcoholic drinks? (he likes to have drinks and will be doing a fair bit of entertaining Im sure)

female stuff?

baby stuff?

anything else? (but non perishable only)

thanks everyone

tried and tested things for the baby like calpol ,baby asprin ,and his common sense

If he is big and/or tall, the hardest things to find consistently or have made over here for men are socks, t-shirts, pullover shirts, and underwear- take a lot of extra packages or have them made up into a box and mail them forward. Unless his feet are REALLY big sports shoes can be found in the tourist areas and department stores, and business shoes can be custom-made, as well as any work-related clothing.

He shouldn't assume he can get any of the vitamins (although these are getting better), medicines or processed foods his family may need/enjoy here. Check first if possible.

"S"

Get his wife to check out our "what do you miss most from home" thread - I can't find it. As I remember it the biggest things were decent underwear (so get her to stock up on bra and pants from her favourite brands) and deodarant. Also get her to bring supplies of her favourite make up if they don't have it here (they stock all designer brands in Bangkok, revlon, maybelline, Boots 17 and no.7 in Tesco malls)

Here is the Products that we miss.

A few of the general things that I miss are - good cheese (though you can get it, it seems so expensive in comparison with my salary), chutneys, marmite, chocolate oranges and wine. Again you can buy it here but it is very pricey. Champagne!!!! Spirits are much cheaper here overall so unless they are getting them from Duty Free I wouldn't bother. Ahhh cider...but it would not be worth taking up precious baggage allowance for something like that.

Most things are available here.

Tampons are a definite must, if that is her "appliance" of choice. Mostly pads ("pamper") here.

If either the husband or wife is "handy", and they anticipate having to repair anything, a basic set of hand tools would be good.

Liquor - They cannot bring enough to really matter, but a special bottle of something might be nice.

Undergarments

- for men, everyone here must either wear large boxers or tiny briefs, no boxer briefs here.

- for ladies, depending upon her build finding the right sizes might be an issue

Clothing

- for men, not so much of an issue, most is available here...although if he is a big guy, that might be more difficult

- for ladies, depending upon what she likes to wear, she might have to bring most of her garments along

A well-stocked first aid kit could come in handy.

Liquor - They cannot bring enough to really matter, but a special bottle of something might be nice.
I had the impression that they were going to ship a container over - in which case alcohol is not allowed to be imported without duty being paid which screws up the saving.

If you can do some price comparisons consider bring stuff over to sell as a side line for the partner not working - a way for them to meet people - or just communicate with via ThaiVisa classifieds etc.

...adding to the list.

Some mobile phones.

DVDs.

Post-it notes.

Mars Bars.

Dried Pasta.

Some types of beans/pulses. (Chick peas was one - but I have a source now.)

Indian Curry mixes.

Smoke Detectors.

Edited by Cuban

Agree with lazeeboy about tried & tested baby remedies/medicines, decent kids toys & garden toys, like little tike brand. I am very dubious about saftey standards of any toys bought in thailand. They could be fake etc. So I only get things with kite mark standard so shipping slides, swing sets etc will benefit. Decent car seats.

If the wife is western then underwear 7 bras as the good quality stuff is expensive in los but will be cheap & abundant at home. Shoes for all occasions, lightweight snadals etc exp if over a size 7/41 (women size)

As people have suggested you can get most things here now, with new products regularly appearing on the shelves.

I would agree with one theme here ... anything to do with personal safety ... bring it as you either can;t get it here or it is dubious quality. think baby capsules (for car), toddler seats, motorbike helmets (good quality and that fit), smoke alarms, all those kitchen and house gadgets to make houses toddler friendly, and so.

and yes to the good deodorants, good dental floss, some breakfast cereals, tall/long guy clothes

^ :o crazy aussie :D

...I agree for sure about the underwear...but I was surprised at how EASY it is to get tampons after reading they would be hard to get before i first came. Maybe depends on what region you are living in? I can get tampons at Watsons, Tops supermarket, and boots. Different brands and sizes too. Wish i had known that before packing about 20 boxes of tampons when i first came over!

(edit:im in chiang mai. edit2: duh, just realised you can see what region im in by looking left!)

Edited by eek

Shoes, shoes and more shoes.. but they must be sewn. Anything glued will come apart.. anything with funny rubber, will "dissolve".

From the kitchen:

You baking ware: cookies sheets, bundt pans.. pie pans.. etc

Cooking spices... bring all!

If you make cookies, chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips,

Hand mixer, blender, bread maker.. everything electronic is way over priced in thailand.

From the bedroom:

Decent bed sheets

Lotions without whitening creams, sun screen, all your make-up.. tampoons are super expensive in Thailand.

From the medicine cabinet:

If you are picky about your pills, then your favourite headache pills, sinus medicine, cold medicines...

Office:

Bring your computer, and extra hard drives. Personal purse sized planner/calendars. oR the larger Franklin Covey type planner with calendar. Post it notes.

thanks for the input so far everyone

but some of the things on the list do make me wonder :o

keep them coming :D

I have to make sure I get the list compiled quick enough and send to them before they leave very soon :D

ermm question: are people serious about the following:

pasta and beans? - I thought theres all sorts of pasta at villa and such? this would be good to know cos Im sure he enjoys his pasta....

workout clothes?

post it notes????

a few other things too :D

Decent cutlery sets, you can buy those cheapo bendy metal spoons & forks in los but knives, esp steak knives are difficult to find so if you have an Ikea or similar near then pick up a couple of sturdy sets of every day cutlery as they will be better quality & cheaper than splashing out on a higher end set in los. Same goes for the cooking utensil sets.

Good carving knives are also hard to come by, I brought a full set to my mil nearly 7 years ago, shel uses them every day & the stainless steel chef quality ones are rust free whereas the local bought ones are all rusty & blackened after a few months. :o

>....pasta and beans?

I find that pasta sold here is in smaller packets at inflated prices because 'it's farang food'.

Some beans/pulses are not widely sold - dried marrowfat peas seem to be impossible to find. (?)

>...workout clothes?

I did consider that decent office clothes are less widely stocked here - although my office is casual - I am happy that I brought shirts in particular with me.

>....post it notes????

I used to use them a lot, so priced them in Thailand before coming out here - brought with me - but not used much in the office as it is better to speak directly to staff than communcate by post-it.

A bread maker is a popular "I want'.

Good everyday cutlery, the Ikea type stuff. Plastic cutting boards, I just paid about S$13 for a decent one. o.O A good tin opener, vegetable peeler. Baking tins, baking sheets. Knives. Knife sharpeners. Oh and those bag clips from Ikea. Dead useful.

Electric beaters, hair dryers, curling irons, blenders, pretty much any electronics. Also, electric socket converters, bring plenty of them in both two pin and three pin. The ones sold here don't really last, mine are dying already.

Baby stuff, sippy cups, cutlery, especially if you're particular about what kind of plastics is used.

English reading material like magazines or books.

Also, a good supply of contact lens solution if it isn't brands such as Bausch and Lomb, Renu, Solocare or Optifree. A good supply of contact lenses as well since supply is quite unpredictable.

Waxing strips. Hair product,

Good quality bed linen, towels and kitchen linen.

Nice, comfy shoes and nice clothes for everyone.

Oh and watch out for customs if you're bringing in stuff like sports equipment, DVDs, computer software and the like. I shipped my stuff over and forgot to wrap my equipment and software in boxes like gifts (my mom's trick) and nearly got a hefty customs tax thrown on it because they weren't convinced they were personal items.

I relocated here permanently a year ago, and every time I go back to the U.S., I have some regular things I bring back....

Vitamins and U.S. Over the Counter medicines - either not available here or overpriced

Quality Bed Linens - the common stuff here is crap, and the decent stuff tends to be ridiculously overpriced.

Casual clothing and shoes for me, a tall man (though it's not expensive to order from U.S. specialty catalogs and then have mailed here if you need to).

110/200 Power converter units, different choices with varying max. wattages for different kinds of uses (to power the various 110V appliances I brought over rather than re-purchasing here).

Solutions for hard contact lenses. They are available here, but harder to find. Solutions for soft contact lenses are widely available, since most shops here dispense them.

Agree about silverware, knives and dishware. Most I've seen here are pretty low quality compared to the good ones I brought over.

Personal computers and other electronics devices. They are widely available here, but a good shopper will certainly find better electronics bargains in the U.S. market. Just be careful about devices other than PCs themselves. Most PCs have switchable 110/220 power supplies. Check to make sure your accessories have power bricks that can accept 110 or 220 volts.

Anything non-perishable you like from Trader Joes.... :o

thanks for the input so far everyone

but some of the things on the list do make me wonder :o

keep them coming :D

I have to make sure I get the list compiled quick enough and send to them before they leave very soon :D

ermm question: are people serious about the following:

pasta and beans? - I thought theres all sorts of pasta at villa and such? this would be good to know cos Im sure he enjoys his pasta....

workout clothes?

post it notes????

a few other things too :D

Pasta? The difference in price is not worth the effort!

Post it notes- dead cheap here.

Definetely bring:

Bra's and knickers if you're not within Thai range (even their larger sizes do not fit D cups upward, even if they say they do!)

Shoes, if you're larger than 39 or have a wider foot.

Female clothes (don't know about male). If you're a size 12 or less you can find clothes, but the choice is v restricted, and not to our taste (unless you're heavily into into glitter, sequins, bows and slogans across your chest!). If you're larger than that then god help you! Don't rely on finding a good tailor, I've been her 2 years and haven't found one yet!

A beautiful sunhat - you can buy the cheap ones, but nothing beautiful that I've found.

I'm sure there's lots more, just can't think of it at the moment!

Edited by F1fanatic

thanks everyone :D

ive given my friend a long list. hes now prolly thinking bangkok is some backward country :o

they are not coming from the US, so some of the items might not apply. thanks all the same :D

I dont think I can add more to the list, or he will be even more overwhelmed than he already is (considering they leave in a few days...I dont think they will have much time to buy more)

but feel free to continue to add to list. Im sure will be very handy for those that have allowed themselves longer shopping time than my friends :D

(plus its very interesting for me to read....I think it shows some cultural difference too? or could just be personal taste...? )

theres a thread running about what you would take from thailand when you leave.

when I moved countries all I took with me are clothes, shoes, and laptop :D

ive given my friend a long list. hes now prolly thinking bangkok is some backward country :o

they are not coming from the US, so some of the items might not apply. thanks all the same :D

I dont think I can add more to the list, or he will be even more overwhelmed than he already is (considering they leave in a few days...I dont think they will have much time to buy more)

but feel free to continue to add to list. Im sure will be very handy for those that have allowed themselves longer shopping time than my friends :D

(plus its very interesting for me to read....I think it shows some cultural difference too? or could just be personal taste...? )

theres a thread running about what you would take from thailand when you leave.

But then again, are you a woman? If you're not, you've no idea how difficult it is to get certain basic items (such as under wear) here if you're not Thai sized!!

Not to mention, the unbelivable taste in clothes!! Yeuch for any Western woman!

where have you been F1fanatic! Our miggy is 100% woman, and a Thai one at that. :o

Personally the only thing ive had some trouble getting is good fitting and pretty bras as im C-D cup but my back is small-ish, but even so I can often get them at Central shopping mall, just have to remove the pads. As for the clothes here, maybe im in the minority, but I really like them. I dont mean the glittery things or clothes with bows (which if nice, i can remove easily anyway), but there is a vast selection and not expensive. My favs are the tailored shorts, the inexpensive shoes, and simple tops you can get here. I love the sales in the malls too, where you can pick up a top for 50-80baht. Bliss!

But anyway..ive gone off topic..sorry! :D

But then again, are you a woman?

read the highlighted text and take a guess if I am :D

but every now and then I do wonder too :o

especially when I looked at my last post in the shoes thread. anyone coming across the post without knowing me, looking at my avatar and then my choice of shoes, would have doubts about my gender too Im sure :D

take a look here

Just on a quick business trip to the UK from BKK ..... so my wife gave me a shopping list ......

Carrs Water Biscuits

McVities Digestive Biscuits

Mr Sheen

Breakfast cereals

Dishwasher tablets

Tea

Cheese

Wine

As I normally never check in luggage on business trips and can do a month long trip with just carry on luggage, bringing back a trolley load of shopping from Tesco is going to be agony. :o

And can I bring in cheese as it's a food item? What about aerosol cans like Mr Sheen. Please tell me you can't bring in food or spraycans as it will save me 5 kg!

And taking tea from UK to Asia seems like taking it back from where it came from, but I've seen the prices of 'English' tea in Bangkok.

Isn't it funny the things we can't live without? :D

I agree with the aspirin (in a bottle)! Very difficult to find here.

Baking soda!!!

Wax (if you prefer to DIY) - I've only seen one brand from Boots. And the strips dont work.

Organic/natural/odor-free home products such as laundry & dish detergent, floor & glass cleaners, etc.

Almost everything here has sodium lauryl sulfate!