Fishing In Chiang Mai?

akatrain

Hi everyone, I am coming to Chiangmai at the end of november and plan on staying for a few months. I love to fish and I was wondering if there is any good fishing in the area. I think I will bring some of my own fishing gear from home to save on cost. I love all kinds of fishing, I dont have to keep them. Im a big fan of catch and release. Im not a big fan of the stocked lakes though. I tried it in samui and found it exspensive and they werent natural fish of thailand. Most of the fish were South American species that we have in our fishtanks here in the US. Any help would be appreciated. :o

akatrain.

Hi everyone, I am coming to Chiangmai at the end of november and plan on staying for a few months. I love to fish and I was wondering if there is any good fishing in the area. I think I will bring some of my own fishing gear from home to save on cost. I love all kinds of fishing, I dont have to keep them. Im a big fan of catch and release. Im not a big fan of the stocked lakes though. I tried it in samui and found it exspensive and they werent natural fish of thailand. Most of the fish were South American species that we have in our fishtanks here in the US. Any help would be appreciated. :o

akatrain.

Me and me mate go fishing several times a week and we normally go to Bo sang to fish for giant catfish (catch and release) it is a stocked lake but all are thai fish and you mainly catch BIG catfish in the 10-40 kilo (20 to 80 pounds) range it costs 100 baht per day so real cheap and a great day of fishing.

We also have done some fishing at the resevoir mainly snakeheads and catfish there and its using lures

When you come drop me a PM and your welcome to come with us when we go

akatrain.

Me and me mate go fishing several times a week and we normally go to Bo sang to fish for giant catfish (catch and release) it is a stocked lake but all are thai fish and you mainly catch BIG catfish in the 10-40 kilo (20 to 80 pounds) range it costs 100 baht per day so real cheap and a great day of fishing.

We also have done some fishing at the resevoir mainly snakeheads and catfish there and its using lures

Thanks alot FC. I will definitely look you up when I get settled there. 100 baht sounds much better. Do the catfish have sharp fins that stick you like they do here in the states? I have never caught a catfish that big so it should be lots of fun. :D

Hi everyone, I am coming to Chiangmai at the end of november and plan on staying for a few months. I love to fish and I was wondering if there is any good fishing in the area. I think I will bring some of my own fishing gear from home to save on cost. I love all kinds of fishing, I dont have to keep them. Im a big fan of catch and release. Im not a big fan of the stocked lakes though. I tried it in samui and found it exspensive and they werent natural fish of thailand. Most of the fish were South American species that we have in our fishtanks here in the US. Any help would be appreciated. :D

akatrain.

Thanks alot FC. I will definitely look you up when I get settled there. 100 baht sounds much better. Do the catfish have sharp fins that stick you like they do here in the states? I have never caught a catfish that big so it should be lots of fun. :D

Your welcome

No sharp spines nice and smooth but heavy :o

By far the best freshwater fishing in Thailand is for Giant Snakeheads. You fish with lures in the reservoirs, amazing scenery, lots of wildlife, much

better than fishing in some over stocked pond.......

It just happens that there is a competition planned next week where you could meet some people who i'm sure will teach you how to do it, check this link out about the comp,

also check the rest of the site out for lots of info on fishing in Thailand. I'm in south thailand so can't help much with what happens up north.....

Happy to point a fellow angler in the right direction tho.

http://www.megafishingthailand.com/content/view/264/45/

By far the best freshwater fishing in Thailand is for Giant Snakeheads. You fish with lures in the reservoirs, amazing scenery, lots of wildlife, much

better than fishing in some over stocked pond.......

It just happens that there is a competition planned next week where you could meet some people who i'm sure will teach you how to do it, check this link out about the comp,

also check the rest of the site out for lots of info on fishing in Thailand. I'm in south thailand so can't help much with what happens up north.....

Happy to point a fellow angler in the right direction tho.

http://www.megafishingthailand.com/content/view/264/45/

Thanks, I would love to do something like that but I dont get to Thailand until November 22. Hopefully there will be more of these competitions while I am there. I will definitely be checking out that site for updates. Your response is much appreciated.

it is a great place, not just for the fishing, although that is great also! there are also gibbons (which make a racket in the morning), tigers, monkeys, krating (as in the wild bull), and also alot of elephants, i managed to see a young one not far from the camp at my last visit! As for the fishing it is tops, and even if nothing is caught you are in a magical place - you need to see to believe! if you are serious to go for a one night two day trip it costs about 6000 for the first angler (it takes a 1.5 hr boat trip to the rooms @ about 5k return!) but comes down per angler when more go - the boat there and back is divided by anglers, the smaller fishing boat is 1000 per day (seat 2) and the room to stay with full board (thai) costs about 800 baht per night/day! not cheap but great all the same! oh and personal boats are not allowed as it is a wildlife reserve...if any one would like to go (even after hearing the costs) they can drop me a line...

it is a great place, not just for the fishing, although that is great also! there are also gibbons (which make a racket in the morning), tigers, monkeys, krating (as in the wild bull), and also alot of elephants, i managed to see a young one not far from the camp at my last visit! As for the fishing it is tops, and even if nothing is caught you are in a magical place - you need to see to believe! if you are serious to go for a one night two day trip it costs about 6000 for the first angler (it takes a 1.5 hr boat trip to the rooms @ about 5k return!) but comes down per angler when more go - the boat there and back is divided by anglers, the smaller fishing boat is 1000 per day (seat 2) and the room to stay with full board (thai) costs about 800 baht per night/day! not cheap but great all the same! oh and personal boats are not allowed as it is a wildlife reserve...if any one would like to go (even after hearing the costs) they can drop me a line...

Is the total cost for the two day one night trip 6000 or are you saying you have to pay another 5000 for a return boat? It is outside of phuket isnt it? I would have to arrange travel to phuket from chiang mai and then pay for accomidation while I am there also. I am interested but I would like to understand the cost better. I dont arrive in Thailand until November 21. It definitely looks like a great trip!