Driver's License Renewal

luckyfarang

For my first driver's license renewal I went to the Chonburi office out on the Rayong road about ten days before expiration, and they told me they could give me a one year renewal today, or if I waited until the day of expiration, they could give me 5 years!

No brainer, came back ten days later.

Had to produce a letter from immigration certifying my address was the same. Did not need to show any medical certificate like at the original application. No road test or written test like the first time. The photos they want are smaller than passport size, so they rejected mine, and I had proper size photos from the original license, but they were rejected for not being recent. No problem, a walk across the street and 100B later, I had proper photos.

Total cost was 505B for new 5 year automobile license, and 255B, I think, for another 5 year motorcycle license. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful, and even relatively quick for Thai govt employees.

I have heard that you needed to get several 1 year renewals before being offerred the five year license. Not true, I guess. I had also heard that there is a level two license you can get combining the two, automobile and motorcycle, into just one. They had never heard of this and claimed it doesn't exist.

It's just as well having the two separate licenses. It gives you two identification cards in case one is lost, or maybe one is being held for deposit on a rental, you still have the other one that you can carry. Also, I have been using these to get the Thai price at places that have dual pricing.

I actually got five years and four months, because they extended the expiration date to my next birthday.

Did you get your licence at the 1st test and can you read Thai?

Was it difficult, the test?

cheers  :o

I passed both written tests, (car and motorcycle) the first time in English, they didn't give me my score, but by the amazed looks on their faces, I think I got a perfect score. I don't read Thai, and they only gave me the motorcycle traffic law book to read, not the automobile.

I didn't have a road test on automobile, but I had to road test on motorcycle, because the word motorcycle doesn't appear anywhere on the California License, just Class M. Get an international license if your local license does not specify good for motorcycle.

I hadn't driven a motorcycle in about ten years, and had to borrow one from the tiny immigration lady, and had to squeeze my big head into her tiny helmet.

The official flunked me three times, and then said to come back tomorrow. On the third time, I KNEW that I was perfect. So I complained and complained (in fluent Thai), asking the official to show me exactly what I had done wrong. Well he says (you turned right instead of left, over there) and I protested that I had indeed turned left, and he must not have seen me. Eventually he relented and passed me. I guess that he might have been looking for some tea money, but I knew I was in the right and didn't want to risk getting busted for attempted bribery.

The Thai driving manual specifies that you have to signal using your right hand, which is ridiculous and dangerous, because you have to take your hand off of the throttle to signal.

Phew, thanks for that.

My mate from NY. was furious when he was failed at his first attempt in BKK.

He found the staff, rude and agressive.

I'm on a ten year Pommy licence, how I can get an International licence now is going to be a problem (in Oz).

cheers and well done :o

Yes I was given a 5+ year licence upon my first renewal valid until the birthday following the 5 years. so in my case almost 6 years. No tests required for renewal.

I had to show proof of residency once again as the address on the licence was different to that on my work permit or so I was informed. That plus my passport, photos and money was all it took. In fact no tests except colour blindness were required on the original application as I possessed a US licence

Photos have to no older than 6 months hence yours being rejected. Mine were as well. I had brought the spare photos from the original application and the offcial noticed they were identical to the photo on my licence. They also have to be of a certain size but no problem kiosks near licencing centres are all geared up for photographs, photocopies and lamination

Phew, thanks for that.

My mate from NY. was furious when he was failed at his first attempt in BKK.

He found the staff, rude and agressive.

I'm on a ten year Pommy licence, how I can get an International licence now is going to be a problem (in Oz).

cheers and well done :o

You send your UK license back to the RAC or AA (Automobile Association as opposed to the real AA :D ) and payment of 4 quid, Udon. That will get you your IDP and you don't need to be there in person. Probably best to send it back to someone in the UK you know and get them to do it for you. Failing that, maybe just send a stamped address envelope for Oz. Saying that, maybe the AA in Oz can do it???

My experience is similar to Lucky's. Soi 36. A written test for the car, for which I was informed I had not answered the number of correct answers for a pass, but for 500baht they would make it right. I took the easy option. The motorbike test involved a ride around a test track. As luck would have it, a Thai was in front of me, so I followed him and copied. I passed with flying colours.

The following year, I acquired my 5 year car and bike license, much the same as everyone else.

I was also under the impression they had one license for the car and bike. It seems daft to have two. I put it down to them making more out of it this way. Never thought of the advantages of having two.

Got both Thai licences yesterday in Chiang Mai. Very efficient there, it seems. Already had an IDP from the UK, so that absolved me from doing the car test. Had to do the bike tests, though. As we were farting around getting the car license, I didn't have time to see the video for the bike test, but the lady said I'd be fine. Anyway, managed to fail the written test by one point...some really obscure questions. Came back an hour later to see the video, but the guy just gave me a booklet with the signs and basic questions...did the test again 10 minutes later and passed 100%. Did the practical 5 minutes later, no probs and the guy fell back to sleep.

Ironic thing was, my mate did his the same time as me and should've done the bike test as well, but the lady said he didn't have to as his IDP showed a stamp in the bike section...the RAC had ballsed-up...lucky bastard!! But the thing is, he's colour blind, so I had to stand behind him on the reaction tests and do the prompting. It was so blatant but the testing guy was totally oblivious.

The lady said to come back next year on the expiration date to get the five years. Must have a non-imm visa, certified address (original and copy ok for both licences) and new (smaller than passport) photos.

Piece a piss :o

i went in to the cha-am office today with an expired one-year drivers license + photo + photocopy of passport + photocopy of residency certificate and came out in about an hour - 515 baht and + a five-year drivers license. i paid the 10 baht extra for lamination.

cheers and beers from cha-am

jamal