• SELECTING THE RIGHT SIZE TO PURCHASE
  • ACCLIMATING YOUR PALM TREES
  • WHEN TO PLANT
  • KNOWING WHAT TYPE OF SOIL YOU HAVE
  • HOW IS YOUR DRAINAGE?
  • PREPARING YOUR SOIL BEFORE PLANTING
  • DIGGING THE HOLE
  • REMOVING THE PLANT FROM THE CONTAINER
  • WHAT'S THE RIGHT PLANTING DEPTH AT THE ROOTBALL SOIL LEVEL?
  • FILLING THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE WITH YOUR SOIL BLEND
  • PLANTING INTO THE HOLE AND POSITIONING THE PALM
  • FILLING THE SOIL AROUND THE ROOTBALL AND WATERING
  • DO I FERTILSE THE PLANT WHEN I PUT IT INTO THE GROUND
  • WHEN DO I WATER THE PLANT AGAIN
  • WHAT ABOUT VITAMINS AND PLANT STIMULANTS?
  • OBSERVATION OF THE PALM AFTER PLANTING

Good luck :o

What has been your experience with palms in Thailand?

Edited by GungaDin

I have found that most nurseries that dig out their palms don't use a sharp shovel and their root balls are too small. Often they use a hoe or heavy rod to dig them out. And they don't have a machine to pull them out of the ground. If they do, they can't get to it due to too many other trees in the way.

I prefer to buy young seedlings or pick the seed myself to insure a quality palm for the future for my personal collection. I will allways dig and pull my own palm from a nursery or someone's property when doing a job. I get a better price and a better palm.

When planting in heavy clay, I allways dig a hole 3 times the size of the rootball and in some cases build a french drain under it for better drainage. I allways plant my palms a little higher than the existing grade.

We love palms

meandwi

Thanks for the link.

We have around 50 palms around the garden, maybe half grown from seed, the long dry season last year seemed to be conducive to the coconut beetles and we actually lost one to the grubs that burrow down into the new shoots. We finally killed the grubs off with some mixture we bought locally and mixed with sand then put it into the top of the tree. Regular sprays of chaindrite seem to keep the beetles at bay so they don't lay eggs and turn into bugs.

We love our palms, they are fairly easy to grow, you can move them, they don't drop leaves everywhere, they give lots of

shade, our cats climb them and the birds sit on the fronds and sing to us. :o

Guys.

How about some pics with their names?

Your collections sound good. :o

Hi

Bismarkia palm ( Blue Palm)

post-24662-1222164188_thumb.jpg

Now about 3 times the size in 4 years. Birds love it, make nest in leaf folds and seems insect resistant!

TBWG :D

Hi,

I planted this Bismarkia at my house in Australia 18 years ago. I am glad I read the dimensions and recommanded spacing in palm books: by luck I got a male and a female. They have grown into some impressive monsters. The trunks are at least 90cm across and they tower at 9 meters in height. The female produces lots of seeds and they sprout at the base. Hard to transplant as they have a very long tap root. My neighbour has planted a lot in some containers and sells them back in Australia. I have the green variety : the blue ones are nicer in my opinion. They are almost self cleaners and make quite a lot of noise when dropping leaves.

I will get back there in mid october and will take some photos. I also have a quite large specimen of Corypha umbraculifera ( Talipot palm) .Also 20 years old: you need a very large garden for this one. mine is on a small acreage outside Townsville in Queensland.

Here is a few "Red sealing wax palms" or "Cyrtostachys lakka" I purchased recently. I love the bright red color of these.

AKA Lipstick Palms. beautiful & very expensive outside Thailand.

I had one in a pot in BKK and the <deleted> ants invaded it, it's my favourite. :o

Guys.

Bottle Palm or Champagne Palms

post-24662-1222171585_thumb.jpg

Nice, any particular reason for planting them so close together?

Well I was under the impression that they do not grow much bigger, hope you are not going to tell me otherwise?

I also tend to like the dense "Jungle Look" ... I also like to think it encourages more birds, wildlife lizards, gecko's etc

Guys.

Hi

Bismarkia palm ( Blue Palm)

post-24662-1222164188_thumb.jpg

Now about 3 times the size in 4 years. Birds love it, make nest in leaf folds and seems insect resistant!

I love your Bismarkia. The color is exceptional. I have seen many shades of green, blue and silver, and yours is the best so far.

Here is a few "Red sealing wax palms" or "Cyrtostachys lakka" I purchased recently. I love the bright red color of these.

AKA Lipstick Palms. beautiful & very expensive outside Thailand.

I had one in a pot in BKK and the <deleted> ants invaded it, it's my favourite. :D

Me too :o Mine was beautiful and the little biting red ants invaded it and ate it :D

I do love palms and also prefer to grow them from seed. I regularly liberate seeds from trees growing in public areas, much to my husband's dismay :D

Guys.

Sorry to disappoint, I only have coconut, arica. foxtales and palm oil. But here is a pic of a few of them around my pond.

post-22250-1222232666_thumb.jpg

Guys.

Sorry to disappoint, I only have coconut, arica. foxtales and palm oil. But here is a pic of a few of them around my pond.

Hi Rimmer

Nice pond ..How do you maintain water level?

Guys.

Hi Rimmer

Nice pond ..How do you maintain water level?

The ground was always low lying and wet so I had a digger dig it out for me to about three meters deep. Later I found that there seems to be a spring feeding it so I tried to follow it to the source with another digger and ended up with a mini stream which I terminated at the top end with a rock waterfall and re circulating pump. I have an overflow pipe for when it gets too high. It did not dry up even through last years long dry spell. :D

Would any of you guys know a good adress to find mature palms somewhere around Bkk ?

btw, nice pics !

I don't know, but you could try "landscape gardeners' in the yellow pages,

or call Nong Such (sp) gardens and ask them.

I believe they have expats in their management.

edit: Try writing to http://thaipalms.com/ Whether he is in Thailand and will reply, I'm not sure.

Be careful dealing with them.

Edited by GungaDin

Rimmer,

nice pic.

So good, I saved it!

2nd thought....... Mozzies!

How do you cope? :o

Yes, get a <deleted>' nail file. :D

Yep 1000 odd Talapie fish eat all the larvae yum yum,

Oh OK I'll put the nail file on back order :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Good article here

586W4803%20(Small).jpg

• SELECTING THE RIGHT SPECIES TO GROW
  • SELECTING THE RIGHT SIZE TO PURCHASE
  • ACCLIMATING YOUR PALM TREES
  • WHEN TO PLANT
  • KNOWING WHAT TYPE OF SOIL YOU HAVE
  • HOW IS YOUR DRAINAGE?
  • PREPARING YOUR SOIL BEFORE PLANTING
  • DIGGING THE HOLE
  • REMOVING THE PLANT FROM THE CONTAINER
  • WHAT'S THE RIGHT PLANTING DEPTH AT THE ROOTBALL SOIL LEVEL?
  • FILLING THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE WITH YOUR SOIL BLEND
  • PLANTING INTO THE HOLE AND POSITIONING THE PALM
  • FILLING THE SOIL AROUND THE ROOTBALL AND WATERING
  • DO I FERTILSE THE PLANT WHEN I PUT IT INTO THE GROUND
  • WHEN DO I WATER THE PLANT AGAIN
  • WHAT ABOUT VITAMINS AND PLANT STIMULANTS?
  • OBSERVATION OF THE PALM AFTER PLANTING

Ive grown palms for many years in the UK (No its not a joke) coming to Thailand and buying land gives me the opportunity to expand on this.

Uk garden here http://community.webshots.com/user/pmrose18

The bottle palm "Hyophorbe lagenicaulis" and Blue palm "Bismacrkia Nobilis" from Madagasgar.

Another great one for Thailand is "Pelagodoxa Henryana" they call it "Henry" here , a great native palm is Kerriodoxa Elegans stunning black petioles and silvery underneath the leaves comes from down South and Phuket area.

Don't just settle for the "Foxtails" Wodyetia Bifurcatas this is a native of Australia.

Also try the Caryota species, noticeably different fishtail leaves some varieties can get huge.

Ive got many friends here interested too.

If you want a really really fast grower try Pigafetta Filifaris has stunning trunk ,worlds fastest grower.

Photo attached

post-66436-1238351522_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi!

I'm French and palms collector... My garden is around Chiang Mai...

I've started my collection in 2007 and now, I have around 650 palms / 295 different species...

:-)

If you want to see my collection : http://asie.online.fr/palmiers/index-palmiers.html

Pilou

Bonjour Pilou,

I'm living in Namprae, HangDong and I'm planting a lot of palm trees in my garden for the moment. Is it possible to visit your garden?